Re: [wpmac] Re: converting wpd files

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2007
      On Jun 2, 2007, at 3:15 PM, aptag wrote:

      > wpd2sxwbatch.pl is found here:
      >
      > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/distfiles/wpd2sxwbatch.pl

      Thanks!

      Now, is there someone knowledgeable enough on this list who is
      willing to compile this script so that it is useful for ordinary users?

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • megabyte405
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
        wrote:

        > On Jun 2, 2007, at 3:15 PM, aptag wrote:
        >
        > > wpd2sxwbatch.pl is found here:
        > >
        > > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/distfiles/wpd2sxwbatch.pl
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Now, is there someone knowledgeable enough on this list who is
        > willing to compile this script so that it is useful for ordinary users?

        Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
        ./nameofscript.pl

        You can also use the command-line interface of AbiWord for this in a
        terminal: abiword --help will give you all the info, (may have to do
        AbiWord.app --help instead)
        basic format:
        abiword inputfile.wpd --to=rtf
        will convert inputfile.wpd to inputfile.rtf

        Hope this helps! There's lots of information around on how to use
        this interface, because it is very useful for scripts, servers, etc.

        Ryan
        AbiWord Dev, Win32 Maintainer, Summer of Code Participant
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
          On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 PM, megabyte405 wrote:

          > Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
          > ./nameofscript.pl

          Thank you! But _where_ do I "do ./nameofscript.pl"? Do you run a
          Perl script from OS X's Terminal? Do you have to paste the script in
          to the Terminal, or elsewhere?

          In other words, what are the steps that an ordinary user has to do to
          get this Perl script to work? (Ordinary users don't usually use
          Perl. I know that I never have.)

          Thanks!

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
            wrote:

            > On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 PM, megabyte405 wrote:
            >
            > > Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
            > > ./nameofscript.pl
            >
            > Thank you! But _where_ do I "do ./nameofscript.pl"? Do you run a
            > Perl script from OS X's Terminal? Do you have to paste the script in
            > to the Terminal, or elsewhere?
            >
            > In other words, what are the steps that an ordinary user has to do to
            > get this Perl script to work? (Ordinary users don't usually use
            > Perl. I know that I never have.)

            You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
            conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
            on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
            too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

            Ryan
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
              On Jun 4, 2007, at 7:49 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

              > You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
              > conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
              > on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
              > too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

              Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
              script?

              How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
                wrote:

                > Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
                > script?
                >
                > How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

                Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
                Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
                needs, and hit enter.

                I have no experience with that particular script, this is just general
                basic osx/unix/linux terminal/command line stuff. There are numerous
                tutorials online designed to get folks comfortable with the command
                line, and many of those for Linux will also apply to Mac OS X, due to
                the similarities in the shell (command line) interface.
              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
                  On Jun 5, 2007, at 6:54 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

                  > Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
                  > Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
                  > needs, and hit enter.

                  Oh, so you don't have to paste in the script? Sounds good. Thanks!