[wpmac] Re: converting wpd files

  • aptag
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 2, 2007
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

      > On Apr 25, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Paul Cowan wrote:
      >
      > > > Is there a way to use LibWPD and/or AbiWord under Mac OS X to batch
      > > > process Wordperfect Mac files to something else.
      > >
      > > Have a look at <http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/news.html>
      >
      > At:
      >
      > http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/download.html
      >
      > there is a link to:
      >
      > wpd2sxwbatch.pl
      >
      > A perl script for doing bulk WordPerfect to OpenOffice.org
      > conversions using wpd2sxw.
      >
      > Unfortunately the link is broken.

      wpd2sxwbatch.pl is found here:

      http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/distfiles/wpd2sxwbatch.pl
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2007
        On Jun 2, 2007, at 3:15 PM, aptag wrote:

        > wpd2sxwbatch.pl is found here:
        >
        > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/distfiles/wpd2sxwbatch.pl

        Thanks!

        Now, is there someone knowledgeable enough on this list who is
        willing to compile this script so that it is useful for ordinary users?

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • megabyte405
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
          wrote:

          > On Jun 2, 2007, at 3:15 PM, aptag wrote:
          >
          > > wpd2sxwbatch.pl is found here:
          > >
          > > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/distfiles/wpd2sxwbatch.pl
          >
          > Thanks!
          >
          > Now, is there someone knowledgeable enough on this list who is
          > willing to compile this script so that it is useful for ordinary users?

          Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
          ./nameofscript.pl

          You can also use the command-line interface of AbiWord for this in a
          terminal: abiword --help will give you all the info, (may have to do
          AbiWord.app --help instead)
          basic format:
          abiword inputfile.wpd --to=rtf
          will convert inputfile.wpd to inputfile.rtf

          Hope this helps! There's lots of information around on how to use
          this interface, because it is very useful for scripts, servers, etc.

          Ryan
          AbiWord Dev, Win32 Maintainer, Summer of Code Participant
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
            On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 PM, megabyte405 wrote:

            > Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
            > ./nameofscript.pl

            Thank you! But _where_ do I "do ./nameofscript.pl"? Do you run a
            Perl script from OS X's Terminal? Do you have to paste the script in
            to the Terminal, or elsewhere?

            In other words, what are the steps that an ordinary user has to do to
            get this Perl script to work? (Ordinary users don't usually use
            Perl. I know that I never have.)

            Thanks!

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
              wrote:

              > On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 PM, megabyte405 wrote:
              >
              > > Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
              > > ./nameofscript.pl
              >
              > Thank you! But _where_ do I "do ./nameofscript.pl"? Do you run a
              > Perl script from OS X's Terminal? Do you have to paste the script in
              > to the Terminal, or elsewhere?
              >
              > In other words, what are the steps that an ordinary user has to do to
              > get this Perl script to work? (Ordinary users don't usually use
              > Perl. I know that I never have.)

              You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
              conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
              on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
              too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

              Ryan
            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
                On Jun 4, 2007, at 7:49 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

                > You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
                > conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
                > on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
                > too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

                Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
                script?

                How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
                  wrote:

                  > Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
                  > script?
                  >
                  > How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

                  Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
                  Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
                  needs, and hit enter.

                  I have no experience with that particular script, this is just general
                  basic osx/unix/linux terminal/command line stuff. There are numerous
                  tutorials online designed to get folks comfortable with the command
                  line, and many of those for Linux will also apply to Mac OS X, due to
                  the similarities in the shell (command line) interface.
                • Randy B. Singer
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
                    On Jun 5, 2007, at 6:54 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

                    > Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
                    > Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
                    > needs, and hit enter.

                    Oh, so you don't have to paste in the script? Sounds good. Thanks!