Re: [wpmac] Open WPDOS .WPG file in WPMac?

    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2007
      The clip art files that shipped with WPMac have file creator WPC2 and
      type WPG2. I tried setting "problem" to that, but WP would not open it.

      John R.

      > I just went to Insert File, chose Graphics from the pull down at the
      > bottom of the Dialog (instead of All) and then inserted a .wpg file
      > from the clipart folder. Thus, it should be possible, but I don't
      > know whether I'm missing something. I can't see anything specific in
      > the Conversions folder.

      > >I've been sent a WPG1 vector graphic created in the DOS version of
      > >Presentations (the WP
      > >graphics program) and am trying to use it in a WPMac file or convert
      > >it into another format
      > >that preserves the vector data.
      > >
      > >WPMac doesn't "see" the FILENAME.WPG file when I try to Insert File
      > >and select All as the files
      > >to list. Is there a droplet that I could drop the file on to so that
      > >it could be given the filetype
      > >needed for WPMac to see it?
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2007
        Yes, Graphic Converter can open the file and save it in any of a few vector formats (none of
        which WPMac can read), but the real issue is: what's wrong with the WPG import filter that
        prevents it from opening the file (which opens perfectly in WPDOS 5.1 and 6.2 and in any
        version of WP for Windows)....

        Edward

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...> wrote:
        > The surpassingly excellent shareware title "Graphic Converter" will
        > import .WPG files. They may then be exported as pretty much whatever
        > you like.
        > <http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/content/index._cGlkPTE0Mw_.html>
        >
        > I can't comment on the integrity of any vector data, though.
        >
        > Greg

      • Smokey Ardisson
        Message 3 of 12 , May 18, 2007
          On Thu May 17, 2007 5:55 pm ((PDT)), "John Rethorst"
          <jrethorst@...> wrote:

          >The clip art files that shipped with WPMac have file creator WPC2 and
          >type WPG2. I tried setting "problem" to that, but WP would not open it.

          The version of the conversion filter that ships with WP3.5e, or with
          the conversions pack here (I forget), can't handle WPG1 (type WPGf)
          files. The filter that ships with 3.5.x can, but can't handle WPG2
          (type WPG2) files. For this reason (and others), I keep both 3.5.4
          and 3.5e around.

          Edward, I stuffed your "problem" graphic in a WP3 file, and WP35e
          opens it ok (whereas it opened the raw .wpg with the X):
          <http://www.ardisson.org/smokey/wpmac/problem_wpg.zip>

          On a related note, there's also a companion project to the libwpd
          converter that will convert WPG files (again with varying degrees of
          accuracy) to SVG or OpenDocument Graphics (.odg) so that you can
          continue to use such files in other programs in the future if you
          ever leave WP-Mac (but with John R's Sheepshaver-WPMac package, that
          need seems less pressing ;) ). At some point in the future it's
          proposed to build libwpd with libwpg so that the former can translate
          graphics in WP files. <http://sourceforge.net/projects/libwpg/>

          Smokey
          Message 4 of 12 , May 18, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

            > The version of the conversion filter that ships with WP3.5e, or with
            > the conversions pack here (I forget), can't handle WPG1 (type WPGf)
            > files. The filter that ships with 3.5.x can, but can't handle WPG2
            > (type WPG2) files. For this reason (and others), I keep both 3.5.4
            > and 3.5e around.

            This is good to know. Smokey, can you send me both those files
            (jrethorst at yahoo dot com) and I'll add the missing one to the
            Conversions pack.

            Glad you're here,