newbie to WPMac here. Mine crashes when opening large files.

  • echap62
    Message 1 of 6 , May 17 4:48 PM
      Any advice?
      I am running 10.3.9 with the WP3.5e plus Classic 8/9 upgrade.
      Thanks in advance!
      Message 2 of 6 , May 18 5:40 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, echap62 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Any advice?
        > I am running 10.3.9 with the WP3.5e plus Classic 8/9 upgrade.
        > Thanks in advance!

        How large? Are they all from one source? Any other defining characteristics,
        such as many graphics or tables? Can you open the document
        file (2.6 mb) from Regular Expression Search, in the Files section here?

        John R.
      • echap62
        Message 3 of 6 , May 19 8:27 AM

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, echap62 <no_reply@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Any advice?
          > > I am running 10.3.9 with the WP3.5e plus Classic 8/9 upgrade.
          > > Thanks in advance!
          >
          > How large? Are they all from one source? Any other defining characteristics,
          > such as many graphics or tables? Can you open the document
          > file (2.6 mb) from Regular Expression Search, in the Files section here?
          >
          > John R.

          John, thank you for your response. The program does open the Regular Expression Search
          file without any problems! As for the other files at work, yes, they all contain tables of
          contents, footnotes and headers, some have tables and minor graphics, and I would say
          the average document size now that I look is less than one (1) megabyte. WPMac opens
          some but will snip the last half of the document, but most of them just cause WPMac to
          crash. I think it is in the conversion process that causes the crashing. Anyway, any help
          would be much appreciated. Oh, and the original docs that wont open are made with WP
          x.3 or 3.x on a windows machine running Vista.

          Thanks much for your response.
          Message 4 of 6 , May 24 5:35 PM
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, echap62 <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > the original docs that wont open are made with WP
            > x.3 or 3.x on a windows machine running Vista.

            Then it's something specific to the X3 file format, or to Vista.
            WPWin 6x through 12x use the same file format, I think; I don't
            know about X3. Or anything about Vista.

            John R.
          • dragoroo
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, echap62 <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Any advice?
              > I am running 10.3.9 with the WP3.5e plus Classic 8/9 upgrade.
              > Thanks in advance!

              This is a Classic Application and will use the memory you allocate in
              Get Info window.

              I used to use it for TV Script management for 30 minute Situation
              Comedies.

              By the time we had multiple columns for dialog and direction commands
              together with vision switching cues in graphical form we usually had a
              3-5 MB document. We used to frequently have problems until we
              allocated 16MB to the application.

              The defaults are 800K minimum and 6144K suggested. For normal
              documents the 6144 figure is adequate but I never seemed to work on
              normal documents. Try upping the 6144 figure if you still have not
              found a solution with the conversion process. Just put a 1 in front
              of the 6144. The extra memory is also useful if you do multiple
              complex edits without saving.

              I'm not sure if the memory allocation is actually used in Classic mode
              or if the OSX memory management takes over but it's worth a try.
            • David Southall
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 8, 2007
                In my previous reply I said

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "dragoroo" <dragoroo@...> wrote:
                > I'm not sure if the memory allocation is actually used in Classic mode
                > or if the OSX memory management takes over but it's worth a try.

                Checking the Apple Support site confirmed that Classic does make use
                of the maximum memory indicated in the Get Info Dialog but is smart
                enough not to actually use the physical memory until WordPerfect calls
                for it.

                HOWEVER.

                Experimentation shows that once the memory is allocated it is kept
                until WordPerfect quits (not when the document is closed) so if you
                edit complex documents and then experience crashes then you should
                allocate more memory and/or frequently quit and restart WordPerfect.
                Multiple edits of complex documents rapidly use up memory.

                Refer to Apple KnowledgeBase artnum=61528 for more information.

                Regards David