Re: [wpmac] Open WPDOS .WPG file in WPMac?

  • Gregory Sigman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 17, 2007
      >I've been sent a WPG1 vector graphic created in the DOS version of
      >Presentations (the WP
      >graphics program) and am trying to use it in a WPMac file or convert
      >it into another format
      >that preserves the vector data.
      >
      >WPMac doesn't "see" the FILENAME.WPG file when I try to Insert File
      >and select All as the files
      >to list. Is there a droplet that I could drop the file on to so that
      >it could be given the filetype
      >needed for WPMac to see it?

      The surpassingly excellent shareware title "Graphic Converter" will
      import .WPG files. They may then be exported as pretty much whatever
      you like.
      <http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/content/index._cGlkPTE0Mw_.html>

      I can't comment on the integrity of any vector data, though.

      Greg
      Message 2 of 12 , May 17, 2007
        Edward

        WP could not open it, but Graphic Converter can.

        Geoff

        >Geoff,
        >
        >Thanks for that. The problem (as I thought) was that I needed to
        >use a file-typing program to mark the PC-created file as a classic
        >Mac file with the creator code WPC2 and the file type (or whatever
        >it's called) code as WPGf. After I did this, WPMac was willing to
        >detect the filename and import it. Unfortunately, the file opened
        >with a big X across an otherwise empty box, so the program was unable
        >to read the vector data and displayed a blank (and the image wouldn't
        >open in the graphic editing window).
        >
        >I've posted the original (unMac-ified) 10KB file here in case
        >anyone's interested:
        >
        >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/problem.wpg
        >
        >It's a vector-format file, but it's clear that WPMac CAN import and
        >export vector-format WPG1 files, so it's all a bit mysterious.
        >
        >Thanks for any help with this. It's not my file, but I'm curious
        >about it, and would like to add any relevant information to my
        >wpdos.org site.
        >
        >Edward Mendelson
        >
        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...>
        >wrote:
        >>
        >> Edward
        >>
        >> I just went to Insert File, chose Graphics from the pull down at
        >the
        >> bottom of the Dialog (instead of All) and then inserted a .wpg file
        >> from the clipart folder. Thus, it should be possible, but I don't
        >> know whether I'm missing something. I can't see anything specific
        >in
        >> the Conversions folder.
        >>
        >> Geoff
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Syth
        Message 3 of 12 , May 17, 2007
          On 17-May-2007, at 15:06, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
          >> http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/problem.wpg
          > WP could not open it, but Graphic Converter can.

          Yep, GC had no trouble at all.

          --
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 12 , May 17, 2007
            Yes, but Graphic Converter is an OS X application, isn't it? (At least it is on my system.) But
            the problem is getting it into WPMac...

            Edward

          • pascalos@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , May 17, 2007
              CorelDraw 11 opens the file and displays it as it should.
              GraphicConverter opens the file, but it is very raw.

              Pascal Lessard

              ----------

              Message 6 of 12 , May 17, 2007
                The clip art files that shipped with WPMac have file creator WPC2 and
                type WPG2. I tried setting "problem" to that, but WP would not open it.

                John R.

                > I just went to Insert File, chose Graphics from the pull down at the
                > bottom of the Dialog (instead of All) and then inserted a .wpg file
                > from the clipart folder. Thus, it should be possible, but I don't
                > know whether I'm missing something. I can't see anything specific in
                > the Conversions folder.

                > >I've been sent a WPG1 vector graphic created in the DOS version of
                > >Presentations (the WP
                > >graphics program) and am trying to use it in a WPMac file or convert
                > >it into another format
                > >that preserves the vector data.
                > >
                > >WPMac doesn't "see" the FILENAME.WPG file when I try to Insert File
                > >and select All as the files
                > >to list. Is there a droplet that I could drop the file on to so that
                > >it could be given the filetype
                > >needed for WPMac to see it?
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 12 , May 17, 2007
                  Yes, Graphic Converter can open the file and save it in any of a few vector formats (none of
                  which WPMac can read), but the real issue is: what's wrong with the WPG import filter that
                  prevents it from opening the file (which opens perfectly in WPDOS 5.1 and 6.2 and in any
                  version of WP for Windows)....

                  Edward

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...> wrote:
                  > The surpassingly excellent shareware title "Graphic Converter" will
                  > import .WPG files. They may then be exported as pretty much whatever
                  > you like.
                  > <http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/content/index._cGlkPTE0Mw_.html>
                  >
                  > I can't comment on the integrity of any vector data, though.
                  >
                  > Greg

                • Smokey Ardisson
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 18, 2007
                    On Thu May 17, 2007 5:55 pm ((PDT)), "John Rethorst"
                    <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                    >The clip art files that shipped with WPMac have file creator WPC2 and
                    >type WPG2. I tried setting "problem" to that, but WP would not open it.

                    The version of the conversion filter that ships with WP3.5e, or with
                    the conversions pack here (I forget), can't handle WPG1 (type WPGf)
                    files. The filter that ships with 3.5.x can, but can't handle WPG2
                    (type WPG2) files. For this reason (and others), I keep both 3.5.4
                    and 3.5e around.

                    Edward, I stuffed your "problem" graphic in a WP3 file, and WP35e
                    opens it ok (whereas it opened the raw .wpg with the X):
                    <http://www.ardisson.org/smokey/wpmac/problem_wpg.zip>

                    On a related note, there's also a companion project to the libwpd
                    converter that will convert WPG files (again with varying degrees of
                    accuracy) to SVG or OpenDocument Graphics (.odg) so that you can
                    continue to use such files in other programs in the future if you
                    ever leave WP-Mac (but with John R's Sheepshaver-WPMac package, that
                    need seems less pressing ;) ). At some point in the future it's
                    proposed to build libwpd with libwpg so that the former can translate
                    graphics in WP files. <http://sourceforge.net/projects/libwpg/>

                    Smokey
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 18, 2007
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <smokey.ardisson@...> wrote:

                      > The version of the conversion filter that ships with WP3.5e, or with
                      > the conversions pack here (I forget), can't handle WPG1 (type WPGf)
                      > files. The filter that ships with 3.5.x can, but can't handle WPG2
                      > (type WPG2) files. For this reason (and others), I keep both 3.5.4
                      > and 3.5e around.

                      This is good to know. Smokey, can you send me both those files
                      (jrethorst at yahoo dot com) and I'll add the missing one to the
                      Conversions pack.

                      Glad you're here,