Re: [wpmac] Increasing SS Volume Image Size?

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2007
      On Fri May 11, 2007 7:02 pm (PDT), "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

      >Can anyone tell me if there is a way to be able to increase the size
      >of the SS Volume disk image to about say, 1GB, using some sort of
      >disk utility?

      There is a way to do this from the command line, but it requires that
      the disk image have been set up with this idea in mind, AIUI. An
      image over 50 MB may be auto-stretchable, but I'm not sure, nor up to
      what size you can stretch it if it is.

      hdiutil create -stretch [size] -size [size] [other creation options]
      nameofimage
      hdituil resize [size] nameofimage

      See the manpage for hdiutil for more.

      It might just be easiest to make a new larger image and clone/copy
      everything across from John R's image....

      Smokey
    • rifetube
      Message 2 of 9 , May 13, 2007
        Hi Smokey,

        Thanks for the suggestions. Since I'm not really comfortable working
        with the command line approach, I'll give your second suggestion a
        try and see how that works out.

        Best regards,
        Bill Cheb

        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2007
          Although I created my image with Disk Utility, various people have
          said it's better to make an image with SheepShaverGUI, using the
          Create button in the Volumes tab, I think since it will then be bootable.
          IAC it's best to then boot SS from your OS Install CD and install the
          OS. Done that way, the image will be bootable no matter what
          created it.

          John R.

          Message 4 of 9 , May 14, 2007
            Hi John,

            Thanks for your reply. I did follow your suggestion and created a new
            disk image using the SS GUI and was able to install OS 8.5 on it....the
            install seemed to work just fine. Now however when I try to boot from
            that disk image, all I get is the flashing question mark on the SS window,
            which tells me that the new disk image is not bootable....and I have to
            force quit SS to get out of it If I launch SS with your disk image,
            everything boots up just fine. I tried selecting my new disk image from
            the startup disk control panel, but as soon as I make the new selection,
            SS crashes (quits). Any thoughts on what's going on?

            Regards,
            Bill Cheb

            Message 5 of 9 , May 14, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for your reply. I did follow your suggestion and created a new
              > disk image using the SS GUI and was able to install OS 8.5 on it....the
              > install seemed to work just fine. Now however when I try to boot from
              > that disk image, all I get is the flashing question mark on the SS window,
              > which tells me that the new disk image is not bootable....and I have to
              > force quit SS to get out of it If I launch SS with your disk image,
              > everything boots up just fine. I tried selecting my new disk image from
              > the startup disk control panel, but as soon as I make the new selection,
              > SS crashes (quits). Any thoughts on what's going on?

              Don't use the Startup control panel.

              After you installed the OS on your image, did you set that image as
              the first volume in SheepShaverGUI's volume list?

              Message 6 of 9 , May 14, 2007
                John

                500Mb will do for me, but can I upgrade the system that you installed
                directly to 8.6? It's ages since I did a pre-OSX install and I have
                no memory of the necessary steps other than to have an OS 8.6 install
                disk to hand.

                By the way, do aliases work across the disks so that OSX apps can
                link to a WP file on the SS disk via an alias? At present I have
                files of all types in folders - WP, .doc, .pdf, .jpg, as long as they
                are pertinent to that topic. Since SS requires its own virtual disk,
                only WP files need be on it (still in a pertinent folder). However,
                it would be useful to have an alias to the WP file on the OSX disk to
                remind me of the real one on the SS disk.

                Thanks

                geoff

                >Although I created my image with Disk Utility, various people have
                >said it's better to make an image with SheepShaverGUI, using the
                >Create button in the Volumes tab, I think since it will then be bootable.
                >IAC it's best to then boot SS from your OS Install CD and install the
                >OS. Done that way, the image will be bootable no matter what
                >created it.
                >
                >John R.
                >
                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:
                >> Thanks for the suggestions. Since I'm not really comfortable working
                >> with the command line approach, I'll give your second suggestion a
                >> try and see how that works out.
                >
                >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson
                >><smokey.ardisson@> wrote:
                >> > It might just be easiest to make a new larger image and clone/copy
                >> > everything across from John R's image....
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • rifetube
                Message 7 of 9 , May 15, 2007

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks for your reply. I did follow your suggestion and created a new
                  > > disk image using the SS GUI and was able to install OS 8.5 on it....the
                  > > install seemed to work just fine. Now however when I try to boot from
                  > > that disk image, all I get is the flashing question mark on the SS window,
                  > > which tells me that the new disk image is not bootable....and I have to
                  > > force quit SS to get out of it If I launch SS with your disk image,
                  > > everything boots up just fine. I tried selecting my new disk image from
                  > > the startup disk control panel, but as soon as I make the new selection,
                  > > SS crashes (quits). Any thoughts on what's going on?
                  >
                  > Don't use the Startup control panel.
                  >
                  > After you installed the OS on your image, did you set that image as
                  > the first volume in SheepShaverGUI's volume list?
                  >
                  > John R.

                  Hi John,

                  To answer your question, yes, my new disk is the first listed in the SS
                  GUI. It seems that SS wants to startup using the new img/with OS 8.6.
                  The OS 8.6 splash screen appears for a brief second and then is
                  replaced by the original SS vol.lmg. Any further thoughts?

                  Regards,
                  Bill C.

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 15, 2007
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

                    > To answer your question, yes, my new disk is the first listed in the SS
                    > GUI. It seems that SS wants to startup using the new img/with OS 8.6.
                    > The OS 8.6 splash screen appears for a brief second and then is
                    > replaced by the original SS vol.lmg. Any further thoughts?

                    I don't know why. You could try making a disk image with Disk Utility.
                    Of the WP install on my image, 100 mb is clip art (in the Extras folder)
                    that you could delete.

                    John R.
                  • cw_gibson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 8, 2007
                      If you want to create a new startup disk (and it appears on
                      the SheepShaver desktop, and has been 1) created as an HFS
                      file, 2) has had a system folder installed, then you run
                      into that fact that you CAN”T change the boot disk (the
                      Startup Control Panel crashes the program)

                      Solution: You need to edit the INVISIBLE
                      “.sheepshaver_prefs” file. This will be found in the
                      /Users/my name folder. You can use a program called
                      Kilometri to find the file.

                      At the top of the file, you will find the lines of text
                      showing your “hard drives”. Simply switch the order in the
                      prefs file, and relaunch. Your problem should be
                      solved.

                      My thanks to John for the installer package.
                      It should be on everyone’s “neat trick” list.

                      =-= Hoot