Re: [wpmac] Dictionary demand

    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2007
      You could try scrapping preferences and seeing if that resolves the issue.

      Geoff

      >John asked...
      >
      >>On 2007-0509 12:42-0400, bcqc2003 wrote:
      >>
      >>> Many years after we began using WP, a problem has suddenly appeared.
      >>> On 2 of our iMacs using 8.6, spell-check pops up a window asking for
      >>> us to find "Dictionary (USA)". Once it does that, its a loop. [...]
      >>> The documents are letter templates so they have our lettehead on them.
      >>
      >>Any macros in your letter template?
      >
      >No, unless the "Auto Date" feature would be classified as a macro.
      >
      >>Do you have - have you ever had - a "Dictionary (USA)", or just "Dictionary
      >>(CAN)"?
      >
      >I don't think we have ever had a Dictionary (USA). I just took a look
      >around the office and I am surprised by the fact that some of the
      >Language folders have more files than others. Some of them have files
      >named "History (USA)" and "Morphology (USA)" - but nothing similar in
      >(CAN) - and others do not. But no Dictionary USA.
      >
      >I now have a Dictionary USA in the office. Another list subscriber
      >just sent me one (and related files) from his version - OS 9.2 under
      >OSX 10.4.9 (thanks again Gabe). I am waiting to see if the problem
      >can be solved without installing them - we got by on 8 or so machines
      >doing word processing 5 business days a week for about 13 years using
      >Dictionary (CAN) before this showed up. I hate to change without
      >knowing why. Stubborn, I guess.
      >
      >Barney
      >

      >>--
      >>John

    • hacky8sack
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2007
        I once had a similar problem with spell check that I ultimately
        tracked down to having more than one dictionary. Look around your
        troubled machine for extra dictionaries -- either in the applications
        folder, or hiding in individual user's folders -- especially look for
        dictionaries that might be in global vs. user-restricted areas. If WP
        identifies a dictionary that's not the one you think it's using, or
        not the one in the usual places, this loop problem seems to arise.
        Steve

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bcqc2003" <bchristianson@...>