Re: [wpmac] Dictionary demand

  • Barney Christianson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2007
      John asked...

      >On 2007-0509 12:42-0400, bcqc2003 wrote:
      >
      >> Many years after we began using WP, a problem has suddenly appeared.
      >> On 2 of our iMacs using 8.6, spell-check pops up a window asking for
      >> us to find "Dictionary (USA)". Once it does that, its a loop. [...]
      >> The documents are letter templates so they have our lettehead on them.
      >
      >Any macros in your letter template?

      No, unless the "Auto Date" feature would be classified as a macro.

      >Do you have - have you ever had - a "Dictionary (USA)", or just "Dictionary
      >(CAN)"?

      I don't think we have ever had a Dictionary (USA). I just took a look
      around the office and I am surprised by the fact that some of the
      Language folders have more files than others. Some of them have files
      named "History (USA)" and "Morphology (USA)" - but nothing similar in
      (CAN) - and others do not. But no Dictionary USA.

      I now have a Dictionary USA in the office. Another list subscriber
      just sent me one (and related files) from his version - OS 9.2 under
      OSX 10.4.9 (thanks again Gabe). I am waiting to see if the problem
      can be solved without installing them - we got by on 8 or so machines
      doing word processing 5 business days a week for about 13 years using
      Dictionary (CAN) before this showed up. I hate to change without
      knowing why. Stubborn, I guess.

      Barney

      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2007
        You could try scrapping preferences and seeing if that resolves the issue.

        Geoff

        >John asked...
        >
        >>On 2007-0509 12:42-0400, bcqc2003 wrote:
        >>
        >>> Many years after we began using WP, a problem has suddenly appeared.
        >>> On 2 of our iMacs using 8.6, spell-check pops up a window asking for
        >>> us to find "Dictionary (USA)". Once it does that, its a loop. [...]
        >>> The documents are letter templates so they have our lettehead on them.
        >>
        >>Any macros in your letter template?
        >
        >No, unless the "Auto Date" feature would be classified as a macro.
        >
        >>Do you have - have you ever had - a "Dictionary (USA)", or just "Dictionary
        >>(CAN)"?
        >
        >I don't think we have ever had a Dictionary (USA). I just took a look
        >around the office and I am surprised by the fact that some of the
        >Language folders have more files than others. Some of them have files
        >named "History (USA)" and "Morphology (USA)" - but nothing similar in
        >(CAN) - and others do not. But no Dictionary USA.
        >
        >I now have a Dictionary USA in the office. Another list subscriber
        >just sent me one (and related files) from his version - OS 9.2 under
        >OSX 10.4.9 (thanks again Gabe). I am waiting to see if the problem
        >can be solved without installing them - we got by on 8 or so machines
        >doing word processing 5 business days a week for about 13 years using
        >Dictionary (CAN) before this showed up. I hate to change without
        >knowing why. Stubborn, I guess.
        >
        >Barney
        >

        >>--
        >>John

      • hacky8sack
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2007
          I once had a similar problem with spell check that I ultimately
          tracked down to having more than one dictionary. Look around your
          troubled machine for extra dictionaries -- either in the applications
          folder, or hiding in individual user's folders -- especially look for
          dictionaries that might be in global vs. user-restricted areas. If WP
          identifies a dictionary that's not the one you think it's using, or
          not the one in the usual places, this loop problem seems to arise.
          Steve

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bcqc2003" <bchristianson@...>