Dictionary demand

  • bcqc2003
    Message 1 of 5 , May 9, 2007
      Many years after we began using WP, a problem has suddenly appeared.
      On 2 of our iMacs using 8.6, spell-check pops up a window asking for
      us to find "Dictionary (USA)". Once it does that, its a loop. Any
      folder we check (with one exception) shows empty. We cannot cancel the
      window and return to the document. A Force Quit is the only way out.

      The one folder that shows any content is the WP application folder,
      Language folder. When that is opened, it will show the file
      "Dictionary (CAN)" - yes, there is a Canadian Dictionary - but
      attempting to select it freezes WP. Again, only way out is a Force
      Quit. We do not have a Dictionary USA and haven't since we began using
      WP in 1991.

      The program may have done a dozen spell-checks that day already before
      the problem shows up. It usually does one or two entries in that
      particular document, which are dealt with by Ignore, before it goes
      bad. When the Speller window comes up, it properly identifies
      "Dictionary (CAN)" as checked under the Dictionary menu.

      I have trashed the WP preferences, rebuilt the desk top, run First Aid
      and looked at all the codes - nothing wrong and nothing odd.

      The documents are letter templates so they have our lettehead on them.
      the problem does not usually show up until the Speller has moved into
      the text below the letterhead (which will have just been added by the
      secretary). But I can re-open the document, copy the text and paste it
      into a new document and run spell-check with no problem.

      If anybody has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

      Barney
    • John Kaufmann
      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2007
        On 2007-0509 12:42-0400, bcqc2003 wrote:

        > Many years after we began using WP, a problem has suddenly appeared.
        > On 2 of our iMacs using 8.6, spell-check pops up a window asking for
        > us to find "Dictionary (USA)". Once it does that, its a loop. [...]
        > The documents are letter templates so they have our lettehead on them.

        Any macros in your letter template?
        Do you have - have you ever had - a "Dictionary (USA)", or just "Dictionary
        (CAN)"?
        --
        John
      • Barney Christianson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2007
          John asked...

          >On 2007-0509 12:42-0400, bcqc2003 wrote:
          >
          >> Many years after we began using WP, a problem has suddenly appeared.
          >> On 2 of our iMacs using 8.6, spell-check pops up a window asking for
          >> us to find "Dictionary (USA)". Once it does that, its a loop. [...]
          >> The documents are letter templates so they have our lettehead on them.
          >
          >Any macros in your letter template?

          No, unless the "Auto Date" feature would be classified as a macro.

          >Do you have - have you ever had - a "Dictionary (USA)", or just "Dictionary
          >(CAN)"?

          I don't think we have ever had a Dictionary (USA). I just took a look
          around the office and I am surprised by the fact that some of the
          Language folders have more files than others. Some of them have files
          named "History (USA)" and "Morphology (USA)" - but nothing similar in
          (CAN) - and others do not. But no Dictionary USA.

          I now have a Dictionary USA in the office. Another list subscriber
          just sent me one (and related files) from his version - OS 9.2 under
          OSX 10.4.9 (thanks again Gabe). I am waiting to see if the problem
          can be solved without installing them - we got by on 8 or so machines
          doing word processing 5 business days a week for about 13 years using
          Dictionary (CAN) before this showed up. I hate to change without
          knowing why. Stubborn, I guess.

          Barney

          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2007
            You could try scrapping preferences and seeing if that resolves the issue.

            Geoff

            >John asked...
            >
            >>On 2007-0509 12:42-0400, bcqc2003 wrote:
            >>
            >>> Many years after we began using WP, a problem has suddenly appeared.
            >>> On 2 of our iMacs using 8.6, spell-check pops up a window asking for
            >>> us to find "Dictionary (USA)". Once it does that, its a loop. [...]
            >>> The documents are letter templates so they have our lettehead on them.
            >>
            >>Any macros in your letter template?
            >
            >No, unless the "Auto Date" feature would be classified as a macro.
            >
            >>Do you have - have you ever had - a "Dictionary (USA)", or just "Dictionary
            >>(CAN)"?
            >
            >I don't think we have ever had a Dictionary (USA). I just took a look
            >around the office and I am surprised by the fact that some of the
            >Language folders have more files than others. Some of them have files
            >named "History (USA)" and "Morphology (USA)" - but nothing similar in
            >(CAN) - and others do not. But no Dictionary USA.
            >
            >I now have a Dictionary USA in the office. Another list subscriber
            >just sent me one (and related files) from his version - OS 9.2 under
            >OSX 10.4.9 (thanks again Gabe). I am waiting to see if the problem
            >can be solved without installing them - we got by on 8 or so machines
            >doing word processing 5 business days a week for about 13 years using
            >Dictionary (CAN) before this showed up. I hate to change without
            >knowing why. Stubborn, I guess.
            >
            >Barney
            >

            >>--
            >>John

          • hacky8sack
            Message 5 of 5 , May 10, 2007
              I once had a similar problem with spell check that I ultimately
              tracked down to having more than one dictionary. Look around your
              troubled machine for extra dictionaries -- either in the applications
              folder, or hiding in individual user's folders -- especially look for
              dictionaries that might be in global vs. user-restricted areas. If WP
              identifies a dictionary that's not the one you think it's using, or
              not the one in the usual places, this loop problem seems to arise.
              Steve

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bcqc2003" <bchristianson@...>