Re: Sun Microsystems joins porting effort for OpenOffice.org for Mac

  • drderbes
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2007
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

      > Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac
      porting" is
      > and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open
      Office and
      > NewOffice.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Ruth R.

      "Porting" means in effect translating; turning a program that runs on
      one platform (e.g. Windows) into a form that it runs on another (e.g.
      Mac OS X.)

      There is already, I think, a Unix based OpenOffice that can run on Mac
      OS X; but it isn't a fully Mac-like experience, using the Aqua
      windowing and menu system. NeoOffice may already provide this, I
      simply don't know; but it may also be Java-based. A standard Mac OS X
      based OpenOffice does not seem to exist yet. The announcement is that
      Sun Microsystems is going to work on one. This is a good development
      for people who need to work with Microsoft Office documents, but who
      do not have MS Office.

      (I replied only to provide help with "porting"; I have never used
      OpenOffice or NeoOffice in any form. Please correct all mistakes with
      respect to those programs.)

      David Derbes
      U of Chicago Lab Schools

    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2007
        On May 5, 2007, at 12:40 PM, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

        > Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac
        > porting" is

        In the simplest terms, it means bringing a non-Macintosh application
        to the Macintosh.

        According to Wikipedia:
        "The process of re-writing software so as to make it compatible with
        other operating system and/or hardware architectures."

        See:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting

        > and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open
        > Office and
        > NewOffice.

        If you never intend to use OpenOffice, NeoOffice or their
        derivatives, it has no relevance to you.

        However, if you want a free, modern, and enthusiastically supported
        (by the open source community) alternative to Microsoft Office, then
        Sun's involvement towards bringing you that is quite important. The
        NeoOffice folks have done an admirable job of providing this sort of
        office suite application for the Macintosh *now*, but with Sun's help
        the OOO folks can quickly create and offer a much more advanced and
        polished product.

        While an OpenOffice product ported to the Macintosh may not be as
        advanced as WordPerfect/Mac (and may never be), it can also offer
        some features that you may never see as part of the discontinued
        WordPerfect/Mac, such as the ability to read and save to the Open
        Document and Open XML formats. (One or both of these file formats
        may very soon become the defacto standard(s) for word processing
        files in business.) For this reason, and because OpenOffice can read
        WP files, a ported version of OpenOffice might even be a great
        accompaniment to WordPerfect/Mac.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Paolo Tramannoni
        Message 3 of 11 , May 6, 2007
          Great news. Now, if only this could convince Corel to port their (much
          better) suite on the Mac...

          Paolo
        • Jonathan Levi, M.D.
          Message 4 of 11 , May 6, 2007
            On Sat May 5, 2007 6:01 pm, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
            >On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:
            >
            >> Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
            >> like a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.
            >
            >The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
            >port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
            >but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
            >and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
            >underlying features.

            In particular, NeoOffice, which I use frequently (albeit in a limited
            way) has no support for AppleScript, which I also use frequently. A
            Cocoa-based port of OO will automatically have at least some generic
            AppleScript support, with the possibility for more specific support
            as well. --Jonathan
          • Sir Craig
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2007
              The 2 versions currently available for OS X are OpenOffice 2.2 &
              NeoOffice 2.1. They are both very good programs. Nice, stable,
              usable, & have the best Micro$oft compatibility of any Office apps
              on the Mac. OpenOffice requires X11, NeoOffice 2.1 runs on java.
              NeoOffice in particular has shown much improvement over the
              past year or so, now it is stable & quite nice, & launches almost as
              fast as the M$ programs.

              I am so happy to hear increased activity on the OS X native port!
              That will really be nice, to have a real OS X version at last! Will it be
              cocoa?

              There are so many great things available to Mac programs, like
              scripting, the services menu, proper integration with other apps &
              OS features, etc. And the cocoa text editing system is an incredibly
              awesome thing that has no rival in the computing world.

              Here are a couple of interesting links about cocoa & text
              http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/site/cocoa-text.html
              http://www.musingsfrommars.org/2007/03/using-text-edit-as-html-editor.html

              Craig
            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                On May 6, 2007, at 5:47 AM, Paolo Tramannoni wrote:

                > Great news. Now, if only this could convince Corel to port their (much
                > better) suite on the Mac...

                You might want to write to Corel and point out this entire turn of
                events to them.