Re: [wpmac] Sun Microsystems joins porting effort for OpenOffice.org for Mac

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2007
      On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:

      > Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
      > like
      > a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.

      The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
      port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
      but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
      and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
      underlying features.

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • RBRoufberg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2007
        Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac porting" is
        and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open Office and
        NewOffice.

        Thanks,
        Ruth R.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2007
          That makes sense. Thanks, Randy.

          -d

          Randy B. Singer wrote:
          > On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:
          >

          >> Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
          >> like
          >> a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.
          >>

          > The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
          > port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
          > but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
          > and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
          > underlying features.

          > Randy B. Singer
          > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
          >
          > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • drderbes
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

            > Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac
            porting" is
            > and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open
            Office and
            > NewOffice.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Ruth R.

            "Porting" means in effect translating; turning a program that runs on
            one platform (e.g. Windows) into a form that it runs on another (e.g.
            Mac OS X.)

            There is already, I think, a Unix based OpenOffice that can run on Mac
            OS X; but it isn't a fully Mac-like experience, using the Aqua
            windowing and menu system. NeoOffice may already provide this, I
            simply don't know; but it may also be Java-based. A standard Mac OS X
            based OpenOffice does not seem to exist yet. The announcement is that
            Sun Microsystems is going to work on one. This is a good development
            for people who need to work with Microsoft Office documents, but who
            do not have MS Office.

            (I replied only to provide help with "porting"; I have never used
            OpenOffice or NeoOffice in any form. Please correct all mistakes with
            respect to those programs.)

            David Derbes
            U of Chicago Lab Schools

          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2007
              On May 5, 2007, at 12:40 PM, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

              > Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac
              > porting" is

              In the simplest terms, it means bringing a non-Macintosh application
              to the Macintosh.

              According to Wikipedia:
              "The process of re-writing software so as to make it compatible with
              other operating system and/or hardware architectures."

              See:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting

              > and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open
              > Office and
              > NewOffice.

              If you never intend to use OpenOffice, NeoOffice or their
              derivatives, it has no relevance to you.

              However, if you want a free, modern, and enthusiastically supported
              (by the open source community) alternative to Microsoft Office, then
              Sun's involvement towards bringing you that is quite important. The
              NeoOffice folks have done an admirable job of providing this sort of
              office suite application for the Macintosh *now*, but with Sun's help
              the OOO folks can quickly create and offer a much more advanced and
              polished product.

              While an OpenOffice product ported to the Macintosh may not be as
              advanced as WordPerfect/Mac (and may never be), it can also offer
              some features that you may never see as part of the discontinued
              WordPerfect/Mac, such as the ability to read and save to the Open
              Document and Open XML formats. (One or both of these file formats
              may very soon become the defacto standard(s) for word processing
              files in business.) For this reason, and because OpenOffice can read
              WP files, a ported version of OpenOffice might even be a great
              accompaniment to WordPerfect/Mac.

              Randy B. Singer

              Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
              http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            • Paolo Tramannoni
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                Great news. Now, if only this could convince Corel to port their (much
                better) suite on the Mac...

                Paolo
              • Jonathan Levi, M.D.
                Message 7 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                  On Sat May 5, 2007 6:01 pm, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
                  >On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:
                  >
                  >> Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
                  >> like a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.
                  >
                  >The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
                  >port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
                  >but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
                  >and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
                  >underlying features.

                  In particular, NeoOffice, which I use frequently (albeit in a limited
                  way) has no support for AppleScript, which I also use frequently. A
                  Cocoa-based port of OO will automatically have at least some generic
                  AppleScript support, with the possibility for more specific support
                  as well. --Jonathan
                • Sir Craig
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                    The 2 versions currently available for OS X are OpenOffice 2.2 &
                    NeoOffice 2.1. They are both very good programs. Nice, stable,
                    usable, & have the best Micro$oft compatibility of any Office apps
                    on the Mac. OpenOffice requires X11, NeoOffice 2.1 runs on java.
                    NeoOffice in particular has shown much improvement over the
                    past year or so, now it is stable & quite nice, & launches almost as
                    fast as the M$ programs.

                    I am so happy to hear increased activity on the OS X native port!
                    That will really be nice, to have a real OS X version at last! Will it be
                    cocoa?

                    There are so many great things available to Mac programs, like
                    scripting, the services menu, proper integration with other apps &
                    OS features, etc. And the cocoa text editing system is an incredibly
                    awesome thing that has no rival in the computing world.

                    Here are a couple of interesting links about cocoa & text
                    http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/site/cocoa-text.html
                    http://www.musingsfrommars.org/2007/03/using-text-edit-as-html-editor.html

                    Craig
                  • Randy B. Singer
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                      On May 6, 2007, at 5:47 AM, Paolo Tramannoni wrote:

                      > Great news. Now, if only this could convince Corel to port their (much
                      > better) suite on the Mac...

                      You might want to write to Corel and point out this entire turn of
                      events to them.