Re: [wpmac] Sun Microsystems joins porting effort for OpenOffice.org for Mac

  • Douglas Bouley
    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2007
      Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems like
      a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.

      -doug

      John Rethorst wrote:
      > http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/sun_microsystems_engineering_joins_porting
      >
      > Thursday, 03 May 2007
      > Philipp Lohmann
      >
      > I'm excited to let you all know that as of now Sun engineering will add its support to the
      > ongoing Mac/Aqua porting effort.

      <snip>
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2007
        On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:

        > Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
        > like
        > a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.

        The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
        port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
        but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
        and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
        underlying features.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • RBRoufberg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2007
          Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac porting" is
          and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open Office and
          NewOffice.

          Thanks,
          Ruth R.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2007
            That makes sense. Thanks, Randy.

            -d

            Randy B. Singer wrote:
            > On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:
            >

            >> Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
            >> like
            >> a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.
            >>

            > The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
            > port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
            > but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
            > and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
            > underlying features.

            > Randy B. Singer
            > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
            >
            > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
            > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          • drderbes
            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

              > Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac
              porting" is
              > and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open
              Office and
              > NewOffice.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Ruth R.

              "Porting" means in effect translating; turning a program that runs on
              one platform (e.g. Windows) into a form that it runs on another (e.g.
              Mac OS X.)

              There is already, I think, a Unix based OpenOffice that can run on Mac
              OS X; but it isn't a fully Mac-like experience, using the Aqua
              windowing and menu system. NeoOffice may already provide this, I
              simply don't know; but it may also be Java-based. A standard Mac OS X
              based OpenOffice does not seem to exist yet. The announcement is that
              Sun Microsystems is going to work on one. This is a good development
              for people who need to work with Microsoft Office documents, but who
              do not have MS Office.

              (I replied only to provide help with "porting"; I have never used
              OpenOffice or NeoOffice in any form. Please correct all mistakes with
              respect to those programs.)

              David Derbes
              U of Chicago Lab Schools

            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2007
                On May 5, 2007, at 12:40 PM, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

                > Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac
                > porting" is

                In the simplest terms, it means bringing a non-Macintosh application
                to the Macintosh.

                According to Wikipedia:
                "The process of re-writing software so as to make it compatible with
                other operating system and/or hardware architectures."

                See:
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting

                > and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open
                > Office and
                > NewOffice.

                If you never intend to use OpenOffice, NeoOffice or their
                derivatives, it has no relevance to you.

                However, if you want a free, modern, and enthusiastically supported
                (by the open source community) alternative to Microsoft Office, then
                Sun's involvement towards bringing you that is quite important. The
                NeoOffice folks have done an admirable job of providing this sort of
                office suite application for the Macintosh *now*, but with Sun's help
                the OOO folks can quickly create and offer a much more advanced and
                polished product.

                While an OpenOffice product ported to the Macintosh may not be as
                advanced as WordPerfect/Mac (and may never be), it can also offer
                some features that you may never see as part of the discontinued
                WordPerfect/Mac, such as the ability to read and save to the Open
                Document and Open XML formats. (One or both of these file formats
                may very soon become the defacto standard(s) for word processing
                files in business.) For this reason, and because OpenOffice can read
                WP files, a ported version of OpenOffice might even be a great
                accompaniment to WordPerfect/Mac.

                Randy B. Singer

                Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
              • Paolo Tramannoni
                Message 7 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                  Great news. Now, if only this could convince Corel to port their (much
                  better) suite on the Mac...

                  Paolo
                • Jonathan Levi, M.D.
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                    On Sat May 5, 2007 6:01 pm, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
                    >On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:
                    >
                    >> Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
                    >> like a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.
                    >
                    >The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
                    >port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
                    >but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
                    >and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
                    >underlying features.

                    In particular, NeoOffice, which I use frequently (albeit in a limited
                    way) has no support for AppleScript, which I also use frequently. A
                    Cocoa-based port of OO will automatically have at least some generic
                    AppleScript support, with the possibility for more specific support
                    as well. --Jonathan
                  • Sir Craig
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                      The 2 versions currently available for OS X are OpenOffice 2.2 &
                      NeoOffice 2.1. They are both very good programs. Nice, stable,
                      usable, & have the best Micro$oft compatibility of any Office apps
                      on the Mac. OpenOffice requires X11, NeoOffice 2.1 runs on java.
                      NeoOffice in particular has shown much improvement over the
                      past year or so, now it is stable & quite nice, & launches almost as
                      fast as the M$ programs.

                      I am so happy to hear increased activity on the OS X native port!
                      That will really be nice, to have a real OS X version at last! Will it be
                      cocoa?

                      There are so many great things available to Mac programs, like
                      scripting, the services menu, proper integration with other apps &
                      OS features, etc. And the cocoa text editing system is an incredibly
                      awesome thing that has no rival in the computing world.

                      Here are a couple of interesting links about cocoa & text
                      http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/site/cocoa-text.html
                      http://www.musingsfrommars.org/2007/03/using-text-edit-as-html-editor.html

                      Craig
                    • Randy B. Singer
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                        On May 6, 2007, at 5:47 AM, Paolo Tramannoni wrote:

                        > Great news. Now, if only this could convince Corel to port their (much
                        > better) suite on the Mac...

                        You might want to write to Corel and point out this entire turn of
                        events to them.