Sun Microsystems joins porting effort for OpenOffice.org for Mac

    Message 1 of 11 , May 5, 2007
      http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/sun_microsystems_engineering_joins_porting

      Thursday, 03 May 2007
      Philipp Lohmann

      I'm excited to let you all know that as of now Sun engineering will add its support to the
      ongoing Mac/Aqua porting effort.

      The MacOSX porting history is basically as old as OpenOffice.org itself. Practically from the
      start there was the plan to have a native version for Mac, however as a first step the
      community decided to produce an X11 port which - since OOo already had several X11
      ports from the start - seemed to be a good way to get a version quickly as temporary
      solution. As usual the "temporary solution" tended to be quite long lived (year 2000 bug
      anyone :-) ?).

      You can imagine my excitement when I first heard about renewed efforts to make an Aqua
      port reality. And now finally I can spend my paid time to add to this great effort. At first
      Herbert Dürr and I will contribute to the Mac port, however there certainly will be other Sun
      developers involved in their areas of expertise when the need arises (e.g. when problems
      with the build system arise).

      Some may ask: Why is Sun joining the Mac porting project? If you look around at
      conferences and airport lounges, you will notice that more and more people are using
      Apple notebooks these days. Apple has a significant market share in the desktop space.
      We are supporting this port because of the interest and activity of the community wanting
      this port. The new invigorated effort in Mac/Aqua-porting (basically since CWS aquavcl01)
      is an obvious indicator. I think this is the right way to go to make OOo on Mac as good as
      or even better than the other ports. Add in the growing Mac community as a whole and
      suddenly from Sun's point of view Mac has a higher value since our strategy is to be multi-
      platform capable.

      MacOSX and Aqua are quite new to me, so please bear with me as I learn about this (for
      me) exciting new platform at first. Certainly I will have many questions for my fellow Mac
      porters. However I can contribute ~10 years experience with vcl which I think the port can
      benefit from.

      How do we want to proceed ? At first Herbert and me will try to get an overview about the
      current state of the work, which already has quite a lot of functionality thanks to the great
      work of the active Mac porters. I imagine that event handling and painting should be our
      first objective; Herbert specializes in Text drawing via SalLayout implementations and I will
      have a look at paint handling at first which I have heard on the mailing list needs to be
      improved and adapted to the specialties of the Mac platform and will need some support
      from the system independent layer of vcl (painting should be done mostly inside the paint
      handler). After that I could imagine that input needs to be improved e.g. for
      internationalized input as in input methods.

      Let's make this port a great success !
    • Douglas Bouley
      Message 2 of 11 , May 5, 2007
        Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems like
        a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.

        -doug

        John Rethorst wrote:
        > http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/sun_microsystems_engineering_joins_porting
        >
        > Thursday, 03 May 2007
        > Philipp Lohmann
        >
        > I'm excited to let you all know that as of now Sun engineering will add its support to the
        > ongoing Mac/Aqua porting effort.

        <snip>
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 11 , May 5, 2007
          On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:

          > Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
          > like
          > a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.

          The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
          port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
          but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
          and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
          underlying features.

          Randy B. Singer

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • RBRoufberg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , May 5, 2007
            Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac porting" is
            and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open Office and
            NewOffice.

            Thanks,
            Ruth R.

            Message 5 of 11 , May 5, 2007
              That makes sense. Thanks, Randy.

              -d

              Randy B. Singer wrote:
              > On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:
              >

              >> Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
              >> like
              >> a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.
              >>

              > The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
              > port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
              > but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
              > and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
              > underlying features.

              > Randy B. Singer
              > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
              >
              > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
              > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            • drderbes
              Message 6 of 11 , May 5, 2007
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

                > Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac
                porting" is
                > and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open
                Office and
                > NewOffice.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Ruth R.

                "Porting" means in effect translating; turning a program that runs on
                one platform (e.g. Windows) into a form that it runs on another (e.g.
                Mac OS X.)

                There is already, I think, a Unix based OpenOffice that can run on Mac
                OS X; but it isn't a fully Mac-like experience, using the Aqua
                windowing and menu system. NeoOffice may already provide this, I
                simply don't know; but it may also be Java-based. A standard Mac OS X
                based OpenOffice does not seem to exist yet. The announcement is that
                Sun Microsystems is going to work on one. This is a good development
                for people who need to work with Microsoft Office documents, but who
                do not have MS Office.

                (I replied only to provide help with "porting"; I have never used
                OpenOffice or NeoOffice in any form. Please correct all mistakes with
                respect to those programs.)

                David Derbes
                U of Chicago Lab Schools

              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2007
                  On May 5, 2007, at 12:40 PM, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

                  > Could someone please explain (in Computer 101 language) what "Mac
                  > porting" is

                  In the simplest terms, it means bringing a non-Macintosh application
                  to the Macintosh.

                  According to Wikipedia:
                  "The process of re-writing software so as to make it compatible with
                  other operating system and/or hardware architectures."

                  See:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porting

                  > and whether it would have any relevance for me, a non-user of Open
                  > Office and
                  > NewOffice.

                  If you never intend to use OpenOffice, NeoOffice or their
                  derivatives, it has no relevance to you.

                  However, if you want a free, modern, and enthusiastically supported
                  (by the open source community) alternative to Microsoft Office, then
                  Sun's involvement towards bringing you that is quite important. The
                  NeoOffice folks have done an admirable job of providing this sort of
                  office suite application for the Macintosh *now*, but with Sun's help
                  the OOO folks can quickly create and offer a much more advanced and
                  polished product.

                  While an OpenOffice product ported to the Macintosh may not be as
                  advanced as WordPerfect/Mac (and may never be), it can also offer
                  some features that you may never see as part of the discontinued
                  WordPerfect/Mac, such as the ability to read and save to the Open
                  Document and Open XML formats. (One or both of these file formats
                  may very soon become the defacto standard(s) for word processing
                  files in business.) For this reason, and because OpenOffice can read
                  WP files, a ported version of OpenOffice might even be a great
                  accompaniment to WordPerfect/Mac.

                  Randy B. Singer

                  Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                  http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                • Paolo Tramannoni
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                    Great news. Now, if only this could convince Corel to port their (much
                    better) suite on the Mac...

                    Paolo
                  • Jonathan Levi, M.D.
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                      On Sat May 5, 2007 6:01 pm, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:
                      >On May 5, 2007, at 10:29 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:
                      >
                      >> Just curious how this will relate to NeoOffice. That already seems
                      >> like a pretty darned good OX-X port to me.
                      >
                      >The lastest version of NeoOffice is impressive. But it is a JAVA
                      >port designed to run under OS X. There is nothing wrong with that,
                      >but one assumes that the OOO port of Open Office will be Cocoa-based
                      >and that it will run faster and have access to more of OS X's
                      >underlying features.

                      In particular, NeoOffice, which I use frequently (albeit in a limited
                      way) has no support for AppleScript, which I also use frequently. A
                      Cocoa-based port of OO will automatically have at least some generic
                      AppleScript support, with the possibility for more specific support
                      as well. --Jonathan
                    • Sir Craig
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                        The 2 versions currently available for OS X are OpenOffice 2.2 &
                        NeoOffice 2.1. They are both very good programs. Nice, stable,
                        usable, & have the best Micro$oft compatibility of any Office apps
                        on the Mac. OpenOffice requires X11, NeoOffice 2.1 runs on java.
                        NeoOffice in particular has shown much improvement over the
                        past year or so, now it is stable & quite nice, & launches almost as
                        fast as the M$ programs.

                        I am so happy to hear increased activity on the OS X native port!
                        That will really be nice, to have a real OS X version at last! Will it be
                        cocoa?

                        There are so many great things available to Mac programs, like
                        scripting, the services menu, proper integration with other apps &
                        OS features, etc. And the cocoa text editing system is an incredibly
                        awesome thing that has no rival in the computing world.

                        Here are a couple of interesting links about cocoa & text
                        http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/site/cocoa-text.html
                        http://www.musingsfrommars.org/2007/03/using-text-edit-as-html-editor.html

                        Craig
                      • Randy B. Singer
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 6, 2007
                          On May 6, 2007, at 5:47 AM, Paolo Tramannoni wrote:

                          > Great news. Now, if only this could convince Corel to port their (much
                          > better) suite on the Mac...

                          You might want to write to Corel and point out this entire turn of
                          events to them.