Our Trusty Program

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2007
      A few weeks ago I posted something about Google Desktop.
      Largely off-topic, except that this search application,
      cutting-edge technology (if not quite ready for prime time)
      uses Spotlight plug-ins, including the one Gero Herrmann
      wrote for WP.

      So our trusty program, abandoned by Corel for ten years, is
      still current with leading developments for the Macintosh.

      A while before that a usenet poster reported a problem with
      equations he was doing either with MathType or Microsoft
      Office's Equation Editor. He had to have the equation along
      the Y axis, e.g. rotated 90 degrees to the left. When he
      copied/pasted it into Word and rotated it the text was
      converted to bitmaps and printed at poor resolution. I did
      a quick check with WP: made an equation in our equation
      editor, pasted it into the graphics editor and rotated it
      90 degrees. It printed at full resolution.

      So our trusty program, left for dead ages ago, can still do
      things the software avant garde cannot.

      I'm giving a little bit of help to the developers of a music
      notation program, Overture, as they ready Mac version
      4 for release. The leading competitor in this market is
      Finale, a program almost as bloated as a certain word
      processor from Microsoft. It will do everything, but the
      interface is grotesque and it's hard to do anything. By
      great contrast, Overture will do anything anyone would
      reasonably need, and is fast with an elegant interface. The
      analogy runs:

      Finale : Overture : : MS Word : WordPerfect

      Overture is fun to use and I'm glad to give this minor
      amount of help to what's essentially a small operation, so
      I did the high resolution OSX icon for them. The on-topic
      part of this is that I did it without much talent but with
      the draw module of WordPerfect 3.5e (a review of which
      found its Bezier curves as good as Adobe Illustrator's) and
      then dropped it into Icon Composer, which comes with the
      development tools for OSX.

      So our trusty program, hung out to dry by the bean counters
      these many moons, still honks.

      John R.
    • Doug Auwarter
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2007
        Hey John,
        I'd like to contact you off-list about this (Overture). Could you
        give me your e-mail address? No biggie - I just don't want to muddle
        up things on this list with a bunch of Off-Topic posts.
        Thanks,
        Doug
        dauwarter@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Doug Auwarter <dauwarter@...> wrote:

          > Hey John,
          > I'd like to contact you off-list about this (Overture). Could you
          > give me your e-mail address? No biggie - I just don't want to muddle
          > up things on this list with a bunch of Off-Topic posts.

          jrethorst at yahoo dot com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 10, 2007
            It's for sale now, although not all the new features are complete yet.
            See http://geniesoft.com.

            Outside of elegance and speed, it's just gorgeous. Set the score
            background to parchment, main window background to indigo blue,
            and window panels (i.e. trim) to redwood, and you'll never want to
            leave.

            The non-OT part of this is that the only other programs I've seen
            with interfaces approaching it are WP and MacWrite Pro. I'm told
            Framemaker is nice, but I've never seen it. BTW that's another
            program abandoned by its publisher in Classic, with nothing as good
            for the purpose in OSX, that is finding a second life (no relation to
            http://secondlife.com) with SheepShaver.

            I think interface contributes substantially to the quality of the user
            experience and thus to quality of output. Why don't more software
            publishers realize this? Or do they, and are just not able to design
            a good one?

            John R.