SheepSaver pre-compiled installer - upgrade possible?

  • bruckwine
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2007
      Hi guys downloaded the .zip John provided and it works great except
      it's OS 7.5... can the SheepSaver OS be updated to OS 9?

      E.g. Can I imply use a OS 9 CD installer as you would on a normal
      Mac?? Is it just the ROM and so could I replace it with a OS 9 ROM?

      Also I noticed that dragging and dropping installers don't seem to
      work , I get the "doc cannot be opened, because application program
      that created it could not e found" - a few posts on other forum sys a
      workaround is putting the files on a CD , loading the cD through SS
      and THEN trying the installer. Can that work?

      Sorry for all the questions but most forums on the web on this prog
      seem either empty, unpopulated, outdated or not very helpful tbh!
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2007
        On Apr 16, 2007, at 9:28 AM, bruckwine wrote:

        > Hi guys downloaded the .zip John provided and it works great except
        > it's OS 7.5... can the SheepSaver OS be updated to OS 9?

        I don't run SheepShaver myself, but I've read a lot of discussion
        about it.

        Here is SheepShaver's home, where you can find lots of information:
        http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver

        On that page you will see that SheepShaver only supports up to OS
        9.0.4. However, I've heard from several folks who have not been able
        to successfully use OS 8.1 or later. Note that OS 8 and beyond are
        commercial releases of the Mac OS, they are not available via free
        download.

        Randy B. Singer
        Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Sir Craig
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
          I made a regular HFS disc image in Disk Utility.
          Launched sheepshavergui, added it to the list,
          installed to that image.
          Since the only OS 9 I had was 9.2, I installed 8.6 & it works great.
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bruckwine" <bruckwine@...> wrote:

            > Also I noticed that dragging and dropping installers don't seem to
            > work , I get the "doc cannot be opened, because application program
            > that created it could not e found" - a few posts on other forum sys a
            > workaround is putting the files on a CD , loading the cD through SS
            > and THEN trying the installer. Can that work?

            Perhaps you could try it and let us know if works or not??
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 17, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "bruckwine" <bruckwine@...> wrote:

              > Hi guys downloaded the .zip John provided and it works great except
              > it's OS 7.5... can the SheepSaver OS be updated to OS 9?
              >
              > E.g. Can I imply use a OS 9 CD installer as you would on a normal
              > Mac?? Is it just the ROM and so could I replace it with a OS 9 ROM?

              As Randy points out, SS supports up to 9.0.4. I have not heard of
              problems with any flavor of 8. YMMV.

              > Also I noticed that dragging and dropping installers don't seem to
              > work , I get the "doc cannot be opened, because application program
              > that created it could not e found" - a few posts on other forum sys a
              > workaround is putting the files on a CD , loading the cD through SS
              > and THEN trying the installer. Can that work?

              As Craig says, SS will recognize a CD. Or list any other image in
              SS GUI that you want SS to recognize. Another approach is quit SS,
              mount its image in OSX, copy installers onto it, unmount it and load
              SS again.

              > Sorry for all the questions but most forums on the web on this prog
              > seem either empty, unpopulated, outdated or not very helpful tbh!

              We're a class act.