Evolution?

  • captnimbus1
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
      after some use of the emulator OS9 that you set-up, I can
      say it works very well. It has however limitations, that I
      summarize here.

      A) the memory space available to load
      files is small. I explain: normally I open the file
      "SheepShaver volume.dmg" then I copy into the Sheepshaver
      folder the files I want to open (for instance with Claris
      IMpact or with Photoshop 5). But big files don't enter. Not
      to mention that once I was able to load a 150 MB photoshop
      file, but when I simply click on it follows an immediate
      crash

      B) there is the need to open and close Sheepshaver
      each time you want to load files from the MacIntel disk,
      and viceversa when you want to down-load files from
      Sheepshaver to MacIntel.

      Thus, I would like ask you, do you think that you, or
      others, migh develop this emulator to the perfection of
      Virtual PC, for instance, where both problems A) and B)
      have been worked out? Can I be of help in alerting and
      trying to collect people willing to give support (also
      financial if necessary)? I think that Apple put all us
      OS9-users in the condition of living underground...

      With best regards,
      Felice Tirone
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
        Surely you're mistaken about (B); simply copy a file from OS X to whatever folder you have
        assigned as your "Unix" folder in Sheepshaver, then copy the file in Sheepshaver to any other
        folder on the Sheepshaver disk. No need to close and open Sheepshaver.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2007
          > > B) there is the need to open and close Sheepshaver
          > > each time you want to load files from the MacIntel disk,
          > > and viceversa when you want to down-load files from
          > > Sheepshaver to MacIntel.

          > Surely you're mistaken about (B); simply copy a file from OS
          > X to whatever folder you have assigned as your "Unix" folder
          > in Sheepshaver, then copy the file in Sheepshaver to any other
          > folder on the Sheepshaver disk. No need to close and open
          > Sheepshaver.

          Correct. For a one-time transfer of a large number of files,
          it may be more convenient to do as the OP describes, but for
          normal use the Transfer folder works very well.

          > > A) the memory space available to load
          > > files is small. I explain: normally I open the file
          > > "SheepShaver volume.dmg" then I copy into the Sheepshaver
          > > folder the files I want to open (for instance with Claris
          > > IMpact or with Photoshop 5). But big files don't enter. Not
          > > to mention that once I was able to load a 150 MB photoshop
          > > file, but when I simply click on it follows an immediate
          > > crash

          If you mean disk space on the image, there's 100 mb of clip
          art you may want to delete, plus a fair amount of other stuff
          that's not absolutely necessary. I don't know why the Photoshop
          file would cause a crash.

          > > Thus, I would like ask you, do you think that you, or
          > > others, migh develop this emulator to the perfection of
          > > Virtual PC, for instance, where both problems A) and B)
          > > have been worked out? Can I be of help in alerting and
          > > trying to collect people willing to give support (also
          > > financial if necessary)?

          SheepShaver is under continuing development, and more
          recent builds have fixed a couple of minor issues (these are
          not "official" releases, though). You might contact Gwenole
          Beauchesne, at http://gwenole.beauchesne.info

          > > I think that Apple put all us
          > > OS9-users in the condition of living underground...

          That's right, but notice that Apple can't keep us there.

          John R.
        • Ralph Martin
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 15, 2009
            I've got WP working with Sheepshaver, but I can't find a way
            to transfer old WP files, or your templates, to the Sheepshaver disk.
            There was no Transfer file or Shared folder installed by Sheepshaver.
            Am I missing something?

            Thanks, Ralph Martin
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 15, 2009
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Martin <khaki@...> wrote:

              > I've got WP working with Sheepshaver, but I can't find a way
              > to transfer old WP files, or your templates, to the Sheepshaver disk.
              > There was no Transfer file or Shared folder installed by Sheepshaver.

              Quit SheepShaver and open its disk in OSX. Drag whatever you want
              onto that disk. Unmount it before starting SheepShaver again.

              Use SheepShaver Prefs to set a shared folder. This is explained in
              the Readme file with the distribution.

              John R.
            • Ralph Martin
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 15, 2009