SheepShaver for Photoshop etc.

  • captnimbus1
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2007
      Dear John,
      I have Macs since 1987, and totalized perhaps thousands files that
      I still run in MacOSX system using the MacOS9 emulator. There
      are programs that do not exist in OSX (Claris IMpact, DNA Strider)
      or that lost key essential features for a professional use (such as
      Photoshop in the CS vesrion for MacOSX). So you can imagine how
      desperately I was looking around to find a way to run OS9 in my
      new Intel-based MacQuad Pro. Sheepshaver was a problem for me,
      I am not a programmer. Then I found your comments and
      downloaded Sheepshaver from you and it works!! I consider you a
      philanthropist...
      Still, I don\'t know how to run my files, for instance in Photoshop 5.
      Basic questions are: do I have to copy the files in OS9 (this would
      be a problem anyway)? Or there is a way to copy from OSX
      desktop into OS9 desktop without loss of continuity (as for
      instance I can do with Vrtual PC emulator for Windows)?
      I will appreciate very much your further advice: now I am in the
      middle of desert, perhaps...
      Thank you! Felice
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "captnimbus1" <captnimbus1@...> wrote:

        > Still, I don't know how to run my files, for instance in Photoshop 5.
        > Basic questions are: do I have to copy the files in OS9 (this would
        > be a problem anyway)? Or there is a way to copy from OSX
        > desktop into OS9 desktop without loss of continuity (as for
        > instance I can do with Vrtual PC emulator for Windows)?

        Thanks for your kind words. The best way to move a large number of files
        onto the SheepShaver disk image is to quit SS and open the image in OSX.
        Simply copy files in the Finder. Then unmount the image in OSX before
        starting SS again. To move files on a day-to-day basis, use the Transfer
        folder. In my setup that's designated as the OSX Documents folder. Put
        a file in your OSX Documents folder, switch to SS and open the "Unix"
        disk. Your file will be there. If you move it from there to the SS desktop,
        you're not actually copying it onto the SS image, so it's better to drag
        the file from the Unix disk onto the SS disk.

        John R.
      • Sir Craig
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 26, 2007
          First of all, I would also like to thank John for this excellent resource!

          After discovering the Sheepshaver-WP image, I have gone ahead &
          made my own image, and installed OS 8.6 & numerous apps.

          Here is my solution for the file-sharing procedure; I don't want
          Sheepshaver creating extraneous files like "Desktop Folder" and
          "Desktop Printers DB" so I just use a folder called "shared" in the
          SheepShaver application's folder. But I don't use that for anything;
          I noticed strange behavior, of files not showing up & whatnot,
          even after rebooting Sheepshaver. So here's what I do, that has
          worked very well, & should safeguard the bootable images from
          corruption:

          Made a 300 Mb regular HFS disc image in Disk Utility.
          Added it to the list of disk images in Sheepshaver GUI.
          Anything I want to use in Sheepshaver, I put on that image,
          unmount it in OS X, then launch Sheepshaver.