Printing Problem

  • daphilli224
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14 10:19 AM
      I've installed SheepShaver and WP for the Mac following the
      directions provided by John. An absolutely great job of
      packaging everything that's needed! However, when I print
      and get to the last dialog asking if I want to Print or
      make a PDF file, and I click Print, I get an OSX dialog
      listing the printers available. But before I can select the
      desired printer, the window disappears and the document
      prints (successfully) to the default printer.

      Is there a way to stop the script so I can select a
      non-default printer if I want? Or do I have to exit
      SheepShaver, change the default printer in OSX, go back to
      SheepShaver and WP before I print?

      I'm running OS 10.4.8 on an Intel MacBookPro with three
      printers accesible over a network (shared by another Mac on
      the network).

      Thanks,

      Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14 8:30 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "daphilli224" <daphilli@...> wrote:

        > Is there a way to stop the script so I can select a
        > non-default printer if I want? Or do I have to exit
        > SheepShaver, change the default printer in OSX, go back to
        > SheepShaver and WP before I print?

        If you click PDF, the document opens in that format in Preview.
        You can then print from Preview, choosing another printer
        in that print dialog.

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 16 10:09 AM

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "daphilli224" <daphilli@> wrote:
          >
          > > Is there a way to stop the script so I can select a
          > > non-default printer if I want? Or do I have to exit
          > > SheepShaver, change the default printer in OSX, go back to
          > > SheepShaver and WP before I print?

          Printing in John's system is performed by a folder action script, which is stored in

          /Users/YOURNAME/Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts

          The name of the file is Print&PDF Folder Items.scpt.

          If you use the Script Editor program in OS X, you can open and edit that script. The
          following is a complete revised script, showing the newly added lines (in two separate)
          places. You can copy the script below and paste it into the script editor to replace the
          existing script (after making a backup of the original, of course). Then click Compile, and
          then close the Script Editor (saving the file), and now you will be prompted to choose a
          printer.

          My changes aren't very pretty - they're taken from an old hint on MacOSXHints.com,
          slightly modified. If I could figure out how to hide the main Printer Utility, I would do so.

          Script follows under the dotted line:

          on adding folder items to TheFolder after receiving fileList
          set thisFile to (item 1 of fileList) as alias
          set fileString to (thisFile as string)
          if fileString contains "DS_Store" then return
          if fileString ends with ".ps" then
          doPrint(thisFile)
          else if fileString ends with ".url" then
          doURL(thisFile)
          end if
          end adding folder items to

          to doURL(thisFile)
          open for access thisFile
          set theURL to read thisFile
          close access thisFile

          open location theURL

          tell application "Finder" to delete thisFile
          end doURL

          to doPrint(thisFile)
          set dialogText to "Print this file or make a PDF document?"
          try
          display dialog dialogText buttons {"Cancel", "PDF", "Print"} default button 3 with
          icon note with title "Print/PDF from SheepShaver"
          set userChoice to button returned of result
          on error
          tell application "Finder" to delete thisFile
          return
          end try

          with timeout of 300 seconds
          processFile(thisFile, userChoice)
          end timeout
          end doPrint

          to processFile(thisFile, userChoice)
          delay 1

          repeat while (current date) - (modification date of (info for thisFile)) < 2
          delay 2
          end repeat

          if userChoice = "Print" then
          tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
          -- new lines
          set printerlist to name of printers
          set OldPrinter to name of current printer
          set printerchoice to (choose from list printerlist with prompt ¬
          "Select printer" default items OldPrinter)
          set myprinter to printer (printerchoice as string)
          set current printer to myprinter
          -- end new lines
          open thisFile
          repeat while (busy status of (info for thisFile))
          delay 1
          end repeat
          -- new line
          set current printer to printer OldPrinter
          -- end new line
          quit
          end tell
          else
          tell application "Finder" to open thisFile
          repeat while (busy status of (info for thisFile))
          delay 1
          end repeat
          end if

          tell application "Finder" to delete thisFile
          end processFile
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 16 10:17 AM
            Yahoo messed up the fomatting of that script in my previous message. Don't even try to use
            it. Possibly John could put a properly formatted version in the files section?
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 17 1:49 PM
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

              > Yahoo messed up the fomatting of that script in my previous message.
              > Don't even try to use it. Possibly John could put a properly formatted
              > version in the files section?

              Done.

              After the line:

              set printerchoice to (choose from list printerlist with prompt ¬
              "Select printer" default items OldPrinter)

              I added:

              if printerchoice = false then return

              since otherwise if the user cancels at that point an error is displayed.

              Nice work,