WordPerfect vs. WordPerfect

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2007
      Interesting to see so many posts on the WP Lightning page
      asking for a Mac version. We'd all like to see it but, if
      Corel does that, what we get might be much different from
      what we think we're asking for.

      The WP Mac we all know was written by the same people who
      wrote the classic versions of WP for DOS, 4.2 and 5.1, also
      such well regarded programs because its developers were a
      group who can only be called gifted in interface design.
      Recent versions of Windows WP and the Lightning edition
      have been designed by a completely different group. I
      haven't tried recent versions of WPWin, but I gather that
      its look and feel has been designed to be familiar to MS
      Word users – in other words, nothing at all like WP Mac.

      It would still be worth asking for an alternative to Word,
      if we didn't already have one. SheepShaver seems almost an
      act of grace. The program we mean when we say WordPerfect
      runs as well as it ever has, but faster than it ever has,
      on Intel Macs. But one poster to the Lightning forum said
      he would use SheepShaver "if I must", and the words
      "cumbersome" and "workaround" have appeared in other posts.

      Huh?

      I respect their opinions, but I wonder whether the posters
      have actually tried SheepShaver on an Intel Mac.

      In point of fact, it's one download from the Links section
      here, a five-minute setup, and then, once again, the best
      word processing program ever written. The fine and
      well-implemented feature set is all there; printing is fast
      (thanks to Ed Mendelson's design); stability is still
      rock-solid; and it will just get faster with every new
      generation of Intel chip.

      I think we don't have a whole lot more to ask for.