Problem Solved.......& another appears

  • rifetube
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
      I discovered that folders which were created in a Mac OS 9
      environment are not recognizeable by SS. As I'd mentioned
      in an earlier post, some items showed up in the "Unix"
      drive on my SS desktop, and others did not. (I should
      mention here that many of the ƒ's in my OS X Documents ƒ
      were transferred directly from my OS 9 computer.) To
      confirm this, I created a new ƒ in the OS X environment,
      labeled it the same as a ƒ containing WP documents which I
      had directly transferred from my OS 9 computer (which SS
      didn't see), then filled the new ƒ with the WP documents
      from the original OS 9 ƒ, and lo and behold the new folder
      showed up in the "Unix" drve on my SS desktop with all the
      WP documents there........phew! what a relief. I thought I
      was going to have to continue using my old OS 9 computer to
      keep using WP.

      With all that out of the way, I now copied a small classic
      app called Easy Envelopes+ into the Unix root folder with
      the hope of using it within SS. When I next launched SS,
      the app (Easy Envelopes+) showed up in the "Unix" drive,
      but unfortunately it appeared as a generic icon and was not
      recognized as an application but rather as an unknown
      document. I tried rebuilding the SS desktop but that
      didn't help. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

      Regards,
      Bill C.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

        > I discovered that folders which were created in a Mac OS 9
        > environment are not recognizeable by SS.

        Interesting! I'll pass that along.

        > what a relief. I thought I
        > was going to have to continue using my old OS 9 computer to
        > keep using WP.

        I continue to work with WP and SS on an Intel machine. I hadn't
        noticed the oddity you found, but haven't had problems of any
        kind. In fact, a quirk or two of WP in Classic is gone in SS. For
        example, some dialog boxes have menus, like Find/Change. In
        Classic, move that dialog so it's not over a WP document window
        and then pull down the Insert menu. The part of the menu
        extending past the dialog is not visible (move the dialog over a
        WP document window to fix this). In SS, the entire menu appears,
        wherever the dialog is located.

        > With all that out of the way, I now copied a small classic
        > app called Easy Envelopes+ into the Unix root folder with
        > the hope of using it within SS. When I next launched SS,
        > the app (Easy Envelopes+) showed up in the "Unix" drive,
        > but unfortunately it appeared as a generic icon and was not
        > recognized as an application but rather as an unknown
        > document.

        A file's creator and type info aren't always preserved when going
        through the transfer folder. This is the point of the Set Files to
        WP applets on the SS image and in the distribution. Try quitting
        SS, double-clicking its image in OSX, copying Easy Envelopes
        (nice little utility BTW) onto the image, unmounting it in OSX
        and starting SS again. Don't forget to unmount the image in the
        one OS before mounting it in the other.