Corel Debuts Free WordPerfect "Lightning" Beta

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
        It's client software that allows you to run a version of WordPerfect
        on a server hosted by a company called Joyent:
        <http://www.joyent.com/news/press-releases/2007/02/27/joyent-corel-beta/>

        The client software requires Windows XP or Vista:
        http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1171405162480
        --

        Bob Stern
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2007
          On Mar 3, 2007, at 3:36 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

          > http://www.betanews.com/article/Corel_Debuts_Free_WordPerfect_Beta/
          > 1172593188
          >
          > Sounds great. What is it?

          Google recently announced a product that I'm sure has Microsoft quite
          worried. That product was an online version of an Office suite:

          Google Docs and Spreadsheets
          <https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?
          service=writely&passive=true&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%
          2F&followup=http%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2F<mpl=homepage&nui=1>
          For some users these online applications are free. For others
          (businesses) they pay a low monthly fee to use them. Collaboration
          is an integral part of the service. I've tried Google Docs and
          Spreadsheets and it works perfectly with a Macintosh running Safari.
          However, at this point it doesn't come close to Word and Excel. The
          word processing component doesn't even come close to Mariner Write.

          Corel's new WordPerfect Lightning is a similar free product, but
          apparently it is based on JavaScript and it can be used offline as
          well as online:
          http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1171919681555
          At first I thought that it would be Windows only, but the above site
          mentions Safari compatibility specifically.
          But then this page, which lists system requirements, lists only Windows:
          http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1171405162480
          What that means, I don't know.

          Randy B. Singer
          Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • James ARTHURS
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007
            I checked it out: the download is a .exe file, so no good for Mac OS X.
            Too bad, for it sounds interesting in some ways.

            Jimmy.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

              > Collaboration
              > is an integral part of the service. I've tried Google Docs and
              > Spreadsheets and it works perfectly with a Macintosh running Safari.
              > However, at this point it doesn't come close to Word and Excel. The
              > word processing component doesn't even come close to Mariner Write.

              When I go to http://docs.google.com/ with Safari, it tells me that's an
              unsupported browser, although they're working on it. Going there in
              Firefox works here, and the docs component is a nice little word processor,
              if slow. The revision history is a good feature, and the collaboration aspect is
              interesting. It could turn out to be the Next Big Thing, but technology
              sometimes promises more than it delivers. PowerTalk, publish and
              subscribe, the paperless office . . . who knows. Has potential though.