Document Error, mystery

  • Barney Christianson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 8:02 AM
      A curious thing... but not much more than that. I don't expect it to
      repeat but if someone is familiar with this and has some
      explanation...

      Diligent use of Save As and avoidance of MacLink-translated Word
      documents has drastically reduced our "document error" attacks. Its
      been at least 2 years since we encountered one on any of our 8 Macs.
      Late yesterday one showed up on an iMac running 8.6. A new secretary
      had just finished typing a 4 page letter (residing in our office
      server, not her desktop) and the crash hit as she was scrolling back
      to the top. Call that document X.

      We were able to hit the button under "do you want to attempt
      recovery" and get a saved document to the server. Call that Y. With
      that out of the way, I went back to X. The secretary was sure she had
      hit Save before she started scrolling so I tried to open it again. I
      wanted to go through it with Show Codes to see what I could find. X
      opened but as soon as I started to scroll, up came Document Error and
      the computer froze.

      I went to my computer. It runs 10.3 if it matters. I copied Y to my
      desktop, dropped Y into MacLink (no particular reason - just thought
      the process might "clean" it). After it was translated, it opened
      without a problem. It was all there, right to the secretary's
      initials at the bottom of page 4. While I was checking its codes,
      proof-reading and spell-checking, I found text on page 3 ">>>>>>>>
      Document Error. Recovery recommended <<<<<<". I deleted that.
      Finished revising the letter, scrolled end to home repeatedly,
      printed it - all no problem.

      I went back to the first iMac. The computer had been restarted and
      the desktop rebuilt so I tried X again. Not Y, X. Surprise - it
      opened, no document error. Scrolled up and down - everything there,
      no problems. So I ran spell-check. Trundled along fine until a point
      near the top of page 3, which is about where I found the ">>>>>>>>
      Document Error. Recovery recommended <<<<<<" text in Y. When I got
      there, it was now the end of the document. No text, nothing in Show
      Codes - the rest of page 3 and all of page 4 were gone. I ended
      spell-check, hit Home, then End. Right back to that spot on page 3,
      with the rest missing. Did that several times, same result. Closed X.
      Opened it again. Hit End. Now its complete again, right to the bottom
      of page 4 - nothing missing. Repeated the process with spell-check
      and got the same result i.e., it now ends near the top of page 3.
      Close and re-open - its all there. Run spell-check and she's gone.
      Being anal, I did it two more times. Nothing different: spell-check
      ends the document at about the 3/4 mark, closing and reopening brings
      it back.

      Gremlins, eh?

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3 2:42 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Barney Christianson <bchristianson@...> wrote:

        > I went to my computer. It runs 10.3 if it matters. I copied Y to my
        > desktop, dropped Y into MacLink (no particular reason - just thought
        > the process might "clean" it).

        Another way to clean a troublesome document is to start a new
        document, type a space (don't forget this step), then insert the bad file
        with the "File…" command on the "Insert" menu. If the result is still
        problematic, try limiting what you're inserting, using the "Retain" menu
        in the Insert File dialog. At some point you will be rid of the problem.

        You can find further discussion in the "Tips & Macros" doc in the Files
        section here, under Problems.

        > Gremlins, eh?

        I think it's the forthcoming political primaries, but it might be Y2K.

        John R.
      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3 6:49 PM
          Document errors are certainly a mystery. Strange as it may seem, I've
          had a couple of troublesome document errors over the years in which
          MacLink Plus actually saved my files. I had a couple of files for
          which none of the usual recommendations were working (including
          John's idea about starting a new file, inserting a space and then
          inserting the offending file--a procedure that does usually work).
          These files (including backup versions) would give me the error
          message and then close as soon as I tried to do anything at all. In
          desperation, I used MacLink Plus to convert the files to Word, and
          then to convert the Word files back to Wordperfect again. This
          actually worked; the files opened normally, and I had minimal clean
          up to do. As a precaution, I did take John's suggestion to create a
          new file, and had no problems with these files after that. Since
          then, whenever I'm working on a large, complex document (the kind
          that seems to result in doc errors), I've gotten more obsessive about
          saving interim versions of the files by using "save as."
          Rick Albright
          On Mar 3, 2007, at 11:02 AM, Barney Christianson wrote:

          > A curious thing... but not much more than that. I don't expect it to
          > repeat but if someone is familiar with this and has some
          > explanation...
          >
          > Diligent use of Save As and avoidance of MacLink-translated Word
          > documents has drastically reduced our "document error" attacks. Its
          > been at least 2 years since we encountered one on any of our 8 Macs.
          > Late yesterday one showed up on an iMac running 8.6. A new secretary
          > had just finished typing a 4 page letter (residing in our office
          > server, not her desktop) and the crash hit as she was scrolling back
          > to the top. Call that document X.
          >
          > We were able to hit the button under "do you want to attempt
          > recovery" and get a saved document to the server. Call that Y. With
          > that out of the way, I went back to X. The secretary was sure she had
          > hit Save before she started scrolling so I tried to open it again. I
          > wanted to go through it with Show Codes to see what I could find. X
          > opened but as soon as I started to scroll, up came Document Error and
          > the computer froze.
          >
          > I went to my computer. It runs 10.3 if it matters. I copied Y to my
          > desktop, dropped Y into MacLink (no particular reason - just thought
          > the process might "clean" it). After it was translated, it opened
          > without a problem. It was all there, right to the secretary's
          > initials at the bottom of page 4. While I was checking its codes,
          > proof-reading and spell-checking, I found text on page 3 ">>>>>>>>
          > Document Error. Recovery recommended <<<<<<". I deleted that.
          > Finished revising the letter, scrolled end to home repeatedly,
          > printed it - all no problem.
          >
          > I went back to the first iMac. The computer had been restarted and
          > the desktop rebuilt so I tried X again. Not Y, X. Surprise - it
          > opened, no document error. Scrolled up and down - everything there,
          > no problems. So I ran spell-check. Trundled along fine until a point
          > near the top of page 3, which is about where I found the ">>>>>>>>
          > Document Error. Recovery recommended <<<<<<" text in Y. When I got
          > there, it was now the end of the document. No text, nothing in Show
          > Codes - the rest of page 3 and all of page 4 were gone. I ended
          > spell-check, hit Home, then End. Right back to that spot on page 3,
          > with the rest missing. Did that several times, same result. Closed X.
          > Opened it again. Hit End. Now its complete again, right to the bottom
          > of page 4 - nothing missing. Repeated the process with spell-check
          > and got the same result i.e., it now ends near the top of page 3.
          > Close and re-open - its all there. Run spell-check and she's gone.
          > Being anal, I did it two more times. Nothing different: spell-check
          > ends the document at about the 3/4 mark, closing and reopening brings
          > it back.
          >
          > Gremlins, eh?

          "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
          warfare."
          --James Madison, 1793

          Rick Albright
          logres@...