Re: How to access WP files

  • rifetube
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
      Hi John,

      Very many thanks for your response. It does clear up some
      of what I wasn't sure about. Yes, I can certianly see where
      a typical Documents folder in OS X could be too large for
      SS to handly properly. I did follow your suggestion about
      re-assigning the Unix root (in the SS GUI) to my WP Files
      folder (which resides in my OS X Documents ƒ).
      Unfortunately I'm again encountering the same problem where
      all the items within the root folder (which is now my WP
      Files folder) do not show up on the "Unix" drive in the SS
      desktop. And my WP Files folder is only 13MB in size. I
      have 27 individual WP files and 5 folders within my WP
      Files folder. The 27 individual WP files do show up on the
      "Unix" drive (on the SS desktop), but the 5 folders do not,
      and this is where I'm stuck. I did try doubling the memory
      assignment in the SS GUI, but this made no difference. One
      rather curious point is that logically speaking, since the
      size of my new Unix root folder is 13MB in size, I would
      have expected the "Unix" drive in the SS desktop to reflect
      that. But when I did a Get Info on the Unix Drive on the
      SS desktop, it showed up as being a little over 1GB in
      size.

      One thing that did work quite nicely is that when I put an
      alias of the WPe application in the Startup Items Folder
      that's in the System Folder within the SheepShaver "drive",
      WP launched immediatly after the SS desktop appeared and
      was available for use right away.

      With regards,
      Bill C.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

        > Unfortunately I'm again encountering the same problem where
        > all the items within the root folder (which is now my WP
        > Files folder) do not show up on the "Unix" drive in the SS
        > desktop. And my WP Files folder is only 13MB in size. I
        > have 27 individual WP files and 5 folders within my WP
        > Files folder. The 27 individual WP files do show up on the
        > "Unix" drive (on the SS desktop), but the 5 folders do not,
        > and this is where I'm stuck.

        I can't duplicate this. My Documents folder is 427 mb, and its
        contents - files and folders, and their subfolders - all show up
        in the SS Unix volume.

        Try this: create a new folder in your Documents folder, and
        assign that as the Transfer folder in SS GUI. On the OSX side,
        put some stuff in it and see if it shows up (after closing and
        opening the Unix window) in SS. Add other stuff, and see at
        what point it stops showing up.

        > One
        > rather curious point is that logically speaking, since the
        > size of my new Unix root folder is 13MB in size, I would
        > have expected the "Unix" drive in the SS desktop to reflect
        > that. But when I did a Get Info on the Unix Drive on the
        > SS desktop, it showed up as being a little over 1GB in
        > size.

        A Get Info on my Unix drive shows it as 1,023.9 mb. I think
        the SS legacy OS just can't interpret the OSX file structure.
        This doesn't matter.

        > One thing that did work quite nicely is that when I put an
        > alias of the WPe application in the Startup Items Folder
        > that's in the System Folder within the SheepShaver "drive",
        > WP launched immediatly after the SS desktop appeared and
        > was available for use right away.

        That's a good idea.

        John R.
      • rifetube
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
          I discovered that folders which were created in a Mac OS 9
          environment are not recognizeable by SS. As I'd mentioned
          in an earlier post, some items showed up in the "Unix"
          drive on my SS desktop, and others did not. (I should
          mention here that many of the ƒ's in my OS X Documents ƒ
          were transferred directly from my OS 9 computer.) To
          confirm this, I created a new ƒ in the OS X environment,
          labeled it the same as a ƒ containing WP documents which I
          had directly transferred from my OS 9 computer (which SS
          didn't see), then filled the new ƒ with the WP documents
          from the original OS 9 ƒ, and lo and behold the new folder
          showed up in the "Unix" drve on my SS desktop with all the
          WP documents there........phew! what a relief. I thought I
          was going to have to continue using my old OS 9 computer to
          keep using WP.

          With all that out of the way, I now copied a small classic
          app called Easy Envelopes+ into the Unix root folder with
          the hope of using it within SS. When I next launched SS,
          the app (Easy Envelopes+) showed up in the "Unix" drive,
          but unfortunately it appeared as a generic icon and was not
          recognized as an application but rather as an unknown
          document. I tried rebuilding the SS desktop but that
          didn't help. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

            > I discovered that folders which were created in a Mac OS 9
            > environment are not recognizeable by SS.

            Interesting! I'll pass that along.

            > what a relief. I thought I
            > was going to have to continue using my old OS 9 computer to
            > keep using WP.

            I continue to work with WP and SS on an Intel machine. I hadn't
            noticed the oddity you found, but haven't had problems of any
            kind. In fact, a quirk or two of WP in Classic is gone in SS. For
            example, some dialog boxes have menus, like Find/Change. In
            Classic, move that dialog so it's not over a WP document window
            and then pull down the Insert menu. The part of the menu
            extending past the dialog is not visible (move the dialog over a
            WP document window to fix this). In SS, the entire menu appears,
            wherever the dialog is located.

            > With all that out of the way, I now copied a small classic
            > app called Easy Envelopes+ into the Unix root folder with
            > the hope of using it within SS. When I next launched SS,
            > the app (Easy Envelopes+) showed up in the "Unix" drive,
            > but unfortunately it appeared as a generic icon and was not
            > recognized as an application but rather as an unknown
            > document.

            A file's creator and type info aren't always preserved when going
            through the transfer folder. This is the point of the Set Files to
            WP applets on the SS image and in the distribution. Try quitting
            SS, double-clicking its image in OSX, copying Easy Envelopes
            (nice little utility BTW) onto the image, unmounting it in OSX
            and starting SS again. Don't forget to unmount the image in the
            one OS before mounting it in the other.