Re: Migrating word files from old iMac to Intel iMac

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 8:21 PM
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "eagledavid1" <eagledavid1@...> wrote:

      > I'm about to help an elderly friend migrate her WP files
      > from her old Blue iMac (probably running on OS 9) to a new
      > Intel iMac. I'm aware of the SS/WP option, but I'm
      > concerned about her ability to operate it on the new
      > computer – and in fact about my ability, as a "newbie", to
      > install it.

      I don't see the basis for either concern.

      Operation is a matter of double-click to open and
      Command-P to print. There's room on the image for 400 mb
      of files, before you have to consider using the Transfer folder
      to access the rest of your OSX disk.

      Another recent post called my installation "dummy-proof",
      which I take as a high compliment. But it's not hard IAC.

      > As an alternative, could I migrate the WP files from the
      > old iMac to the new one, via an ethernet connection between
      > the two computers, and use DataViz to translate them to,
      > say, Pages? Would the files be readable by DataViz on the
      > new computer? I realize that from her point of view it
      > would be better to provide a WP-based solution, but she
      > should be able to adapt to Pages.

      She should, but would she want to? Pages is a much different
      program from WP. While it has its merits - notably a host of
      high-quality templates - I have yet to hear anyone call it a
      serious word processing program.

      John R.
    • Rick Mansfield
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2 5:47 AM
        John, would you mind providing a link to your "dummy-proof" installation
        for this dummy who can't seem to find it?

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2 5:26 PM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Mansfield" <rmansfield@...> wrote:

          > John, would you mind providing a link to your "dummy-proof" installation
          > for this dummy who can't seem to find it?

          Links > SheepShaver and Basilisk > SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install
          Links > SheepShaver and Basilisk > SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install (2)

          "SheepShaver and Basilisk" is the name of a folder; Yahoo puts folders
          at the top of the Links (and other) sections.