How to access WP files

  • rifetube
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 27 9:35 PM
      Hi to the Group,

      I'm new to this group as of a couple of days ago and also
      new to my MacBook Pro (great machine) AND OS X as of about
      3 weeks ago....still on a pretty steep learning curve to it
      all. At any rate, after having researched and read as much
      as I could I finally felt confident enough to install
      SS-WP. Thanks to the excellent instructions, the install
      and setup went 'Perfect' and needless to say I was quite
      thrilled at seeing the old familiar WP layout. There are
      however a couple of things I'm not clear on. Firstly, is
      it possible to drag and drop a document from the OS X
      desktop to the SS desktop and vice versa? I tried that and
      it didn't work. Is this a limitation of SS or am I not
      doing something right? Secondly, the hard drive icon on
      the SS desktop seems to actually be the OS X documents
      folder, but only a fraction of my folders and items there
      are shown when I open the Unix drive on the SS desktop, and
      unfortunately the folder containing my WP documents is not
      shown so I can't access them that way. Is this normal, or
      should all the items in my Documents ƒ be visible? I did
      work around this by opening the SS Volume Image with Disk
      Utility and then draging the folder containing my WP files
      onto the image. This did work since I could see and access
      my WP files when I next launched SS. Doing things this way
      is however somewhat cumbersome and I'm really hopeing that
      there's a much easier way. Any comments, observations, and
      suggestions to any of this would be greatly
      appreciated.

      I did take one adventurious liberty after I sucessfully
      performed the installation. I didn't particularly like the
      icon on the SS alias left on my OS X desktop, so I did a
      get info and pasted the old familiar rainbow Apple logo on
      the alias, and now I enjoy looking at the apple and
      remembering pleasant days of the classic past.

      With regards,
      bcheb
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28 5:33 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

        > I'm new to this group as of a couple of days ago and also
        > new to my MacBook Pro (great machine) AND OS X as of about
        > 3 weeks ago....still on a pretty steep learning curve to it
        > all. At any rate, after having researched and read as much
        > as I could I finally felt confident enough to install
        > SS-WP. Thanks to the excellent instructions, the install
        > and setup went 'Perfect' and needless to say I was quite
        > thrilled at seeing the old familiar WP layout.

        It really is seamless. As smooth as Classic.

        > There are
        > however a couple of things I'm not clear on. Firstly, is
        > it possible to drag and drop a document from the OS X
        > desktop to the SS desktop and vice versa? I tried that and
        > it didn't work. Is this a limitation of SS or am I not
        > doing something right?

        You can't drag from one desktop to the other. This is the
        point of the Transfer folder. My instructions assign this to
        your OSX Documents folder, but there may be reasons to
        reassign that - see below.

        > Secondly, the hard drive icon on
        > the SS desktop seems to actually be the OS X documents
        > folder, but only a fraction of my folders and items there
        > are shown when I open the Unix drive on the SS desktop, and
        > unfortunately the folder containing my WP documents is not
        > shown so I can't access them that way.

        Your Documents folder is too large to use as the Transfer
        folder, unless you increase the amount of memory you give to
        SS. A better solution is to assign another folder, with less
        contents. The folder containing your WP documents sounds
        like the ideal candidate. After you make that assignment (to
        the Unix root in SheepShaverGUI), you'll be able to open the
        "Unix" disk on the SheepShaver desktop and see all your WP
        documents.

        > I did
        > work around this by opening the SS Volume Image with Disk
        > Utility and then draging the folder containing my WP files
        > onto the image. This did work since I could see and access
        > my WP files when I next launched SS. Doing things this way
        > is however somewhat cumbersome and I'm really hopeing that
        > there's a much easier way.

        Nothing wrong with this, say if you want to transfer several
        hundred MB at once. Be sure to quit SS before mounting its disk
        image in OSX, though, and unmount it before running SS again.

        John R.
      • rifetube
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
          Hi John,

          Very many thanks for your response. It does clear up some
          of what I wasn't sure about. Yes, I can certianly see where
          a typical Documents folder in OS X could be too large for
          SS to handly properly. I did follow your suggestion about
          re-assigning the Unix root (in the SS GUI) to my WP Files
          folder (which resides in my OS X Documents ƒ).
          Unfortunately I'm again encountering the same problem where
          all the items within the root folder (which is now my WP
          Files folder) do not show up on the "Unix" drive in the SS
          desktop. And my WP Files folder is only 13MB in size. I
          have 27 individual WP files and 5 folders within my WP
          Files folder. The 27 individual WP files do show up on the
          "Unix" drive (on the SS desktop), but the 5 folders do not,
          and this is where I'm stuck. I did try doubling the memory
          assignment in the SS GUI, but this made no difference. One
          rather curious point is that logically speaking, since the
          size of my new Unix root folder is 13MB in size, I would
          have expected the "Unix" drive in the SS desktop to reflect
          that. But when I did a Get Info on the Unix Drive on the
          SS desktop, it showed up as being a little over 1GB in
          size.

          One thing that did work quite nicely is that when I put an
          alias of the WPe application in the Startup Items Folder
          that's in the System Folder within the SheepShaver "drive",
          WP launched immediatly after the SS desktop appeared and
          was available for use right away.

          With regards,
          Bill C.

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

            > Unfortunately I'm again encountering the same problem where
            > all the items within the root folder (which is now my WP
            > Files folder) do not show up on the "Unix" drive in the SS
            > desktop. And my WP Files folder is only 13MB in size. I
            > have 27 individual WP files and 5 folders within my WP
            > Files folder. The 27 individual WP files do show up on the
            > "Unix" drive (on the SS desktop), but the 5 folders do not,
            > and this is where I'm stuck.

            I can't duplicate this. My Documents folder is 427 mb, and its
            contents - files and folders, and their subfolders - all show up
            in the SS Unix volume.

            Try this: create a new folder in your Documents folder, and
            assign that as the Transfer folder in SS GUI. On the OSX side,
            put some stuff in it and see if it shows up (after closing and
            opening the Unix window) in SS. Add other stuff, and see at
            what point it stops showing up.

            > One
            > rather curious point is that logically speaking, since the
            > size of my new Unix root folder is 13MB in size, I would
            > have expected the "Unix" drive in the SS desktop to reflect
            > that. But when I did a Get Info on the Unix Drive on the
            > SS desktop, it showed up as being a little over 1GB in
            > size.

            A Get Info on my Unix drive shows it as 1,023.9 mb. I think
            the SS legacy OS just can't interpret the OSX file structure.
            This doesn't matter.

            > One thing that did work quite nicely is that when I put an
            > alias of the WPe application in the Startup Items Folder
            > that's in the System Folder within the SheepShaver "drive",
            > WP launched immediatly after the SS desktop appeared and
            > was available for use right away.

            That's a good idea.

            John R.
          • rifetube
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 8, 2007
              I discovered that folders which were created in a Mac OS 9
              environment are not recognizeable by SS. As I'd mentioned
              in an earlier post, some items showed up in the "Unix"
              drive on my SS desktop, and others did not. (I should
              mention here that many of the ƒ's in my OS X Documents ƒ
              were transferred directly from my OS 9 computer.) To
              confirm this, I created a new ƒ in the OS X environment,
              labeled it the same as a ƒ containing WP documents which I
              had directly transferred from my OS 9 computer (which SS
              didn't see), then filled the new ƒ with the WP documents
              from the original OS 9 ƒ, and lo and behold the new folder
              showed up in the "Unix" drve on my SS desktop with all the
              WP documents there........phew! what a relief. I thought I
              was going to have to continue using my old OS 9 computer to
              keep using WP.

              With all that out of the way, I now copied a small classic
              app called Easy Envelopes+ into the Unix root folder with
              the hope of using it within SS. When I next launched SS,
              the app (Easy Envelopes+) showed up in the "Unix" drive,
              but unfortunately it appeared as a generic icon and was not
              recognized as an application but rather as an unknown
              document. I tried rebuilding the SS desktop but that
              didn't help. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

              Regards,
              Bill C.

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 10, 2007
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "rifetube" <bcheb@...> wrote:

                > I discovered that folders which were created in a Mac OS 9
                > environment are not recognizeable by SS.

                Interesting! I'll pass that along.

                > what a relief. I thought I
                > was going to have to continue using my old OS 9 computer to
                > keep using WP.

                I continue to work with WP and SS on an Intel machine. I hadn't
                noticed the oddity you found, but haven't had problems of any
                kind. In fact, a quirk or two of WP in Classic is gone in SS. For
                example, some dialog boxes have menus, like Find/Change. In
                Classic, move that dialog so it's not over a WP document window
                and then pull down the Insert menu. The part of the menu
                extending past the dialog is not visible (move the dialog over a
                WP document window to fix this). In SS, the entire menu appears,
                wherever the dialog is located.

                > With all that out of the way, I now copied a small classic
                > app called Easy Envelopes+ into the Unix root folder with
                > the hope of using it within SS. When I next launched SS,
                > the app (Easy Envelopes+) showed up in the "Unix" drive,
                > but unfortunately it appeared as a generic icon and was not
                > recognized as an application but rather as an unknown
                > document.

                A file's creator and type info aren't always preserved when going
                through the transfer folder. This is the point of the Set Files to
                WP applets on the SS image and in the distribution. Try quitting
                SS, double-clicking its image in OSX, copying Easy Envelopes
                (nice little utility BTW) onto the image, unmounting it in OSX
                and starting SS again. Don't forget to unmount the image in the
                one OS before mounting it in the other.