SheepShaver & WP installation

  • robmarwp
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 20, 2007
      I have been unsuccessful in installing SheepShaver and WordPerfect on my Intel iMac Core
      Duo (OSX 10.4.8).

      After going through the "Installing SheepShaver/WordPerfect instructions, I get the following
      error message: SheepShaver error: Cannot map first Kernal Data area: Permission denied.

      Any solutions?

      Robert L. Marrott
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 20, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "robmarwp" <marrottr@...> wrote:

        > I have been unsuccessful in installing SheepShaver and WordPerfect on my
        > Intel iMac Core Duo (OSX 10.4.8).
        >
        > After going through the "Installing SheepShaver/WordPerfect instructions,
        > I get the following error message: SheepShaver error: Cannot map first
        > Kernal Data area: Permission denied.
        >
        > Any solutions?

        When exactly do you get this error? What's the last thing you do before it
        appears?

        John R.
      • Marrott, Robert L.
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 21, 2007
          I click on the ³Start² button as the last step of the SheepShaverGUI
          program.

          RLM

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "robmarwp" <marrottr@...> wrote:

            > I have been unsuccessful in installing SheepShaver and WordPerfect on
            > my Intel iMac Core Duo (OSX 10.4.8).
            >
            > After going through the "Installing SheepShaver/WordPerfect instructions,
            > I get the following error message: SheepShaver error: Cannot map first
            > Kernal Data area: Permission denied.

            All I can think of is trying another copy of SheepShaver, running from an
            administrative account (although my install does not require it), and turning
            off other third-party software first. Turning those off, verifying your
            startup volume with Disk Utility and then restarting, would be the steps
            I'd take.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
              I seem to remember there is some way to convert paragraph numbers to
              text - saving as a different format can destroy the numbers when you
              open in another programme. can anyone remember where this function is
              in WP?

              Thanks

              Geoff
            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                >Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                >
                >I seem to remember there is some way to convert paragraph numbers to
                >text - saving as a different format can destroy the numbers when you
                >open in another programme. can anyone remember where this function
                >is in WP?

                David Moulton and Daniel Midgley contributed this macro to the WP
                list a long time ago. The "warning" is my own insertion.

                --Bob Stern

                ; Outline # -> Text macro
                ; by David Moulton and Daniel Midgley
                ;
                ; WARNING: Only converts to text the paragraph numbers,
                ; not the references to those numbers. Cannot convert references to text.
                ;
                ; Display (Off) ; speedier off
                ;
                ; If text is selected, isolate it in a new document and set Var00=1.
                If (SelectionFlag)
                Copy
                New Document
                Paste
                Assign (Var00;1)
                Else
                Assign (Var00;0)
                End If
                ;
                End () ; Work backwards from end of document.
                Label (top)
                Find Next Code (Backward;Paragraph Number)
                If (FindStatusFlag)
                Left (Select)
                Cut
                Paste Text
                Go (top)
                End If
                ;
                ; No more Paragraph Number Codes found.
                If (Var00) ; If this was done on selected text, return it to the document
                Select All
                Copy
                Close
                Paste
                End If
                End Macro
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007

                  > I seem to remember there is some way to convert paragraph numbers to
                  > text - saving as a different format can destroy the numbers when you
                  > open in another programme. can anyone remember where this function is
                  > in WP?

                  Enhanced Outlining Utilities (Control-U or Outlining Bar button) > Auto
                  Labels to Text Labels

                  John R.
                • Bob Stern
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                    >John Rethorst wrote:
                    >
                    >Enhanced Outlining Utilities (Control-U or Outlining Bar button) >
                    >Auto Labels to Text Labels

                    John, is there a command to change *cross-references* to outline
                    numbers to text?
                    --

                    Bob Stern
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                      Thanks to John and Bob for the two solutions.

                      Geoff

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                        Bob

                        My experience of trying to convert cross-referenced footnotes is that
                        this is impossible, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

                        Geoff

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 24, 2007
                          While we're on the issue, why doesn't QuickCorrect work in Outlining Mode?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 25, 2007

                            > While we're on the issue, why doesn't QuickCorrect work in Outlining
                            > Mode?

                            Dunno, but QC works fine in Enhanced Outlining Mode, e.g. the mode
                            accessed with the Outlining Bar rather than the Tools menu command.