Re: [wpmac] How can I convert Word files to Word for Mac!

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
      Every implementation of XML is slightly different. Even though the XML format is open, it
      takes work (usually a *lot* of work) to write a converter from any one variety of XML to any
      other format or to any other variety of XML. Word documents can contain an enormous
      amount of information of many different kinds; the XML that stores it can get very complex.

      Microsoft's XML is just as "open", just as well documented, as, say, OpenOffice's XML. It's a
      non-trivial job to make converters for either of them. Neither one is "proprietary" but each is
      unique.

      This topic has been very widely discussed on the web. A ten-second Google search can
      provide more detail than I've tried to offer here.