Re: [wpmac] How can I convert Word files to Word for Mac!

  • Tison Campbell
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 18 9:28 AM
      I think that MS is going to offer (beta) support for Office 2004 soon
      and Neo Office (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
      name=News&file=article&sid=116), which is free, should have support
      by the end of the month.

      -Tison Campbell

    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 18 11:21 AM
        Every implementation of XML is slightly different. Even though the XML format is open, it
        takes work (usually a *lot* of work) to write a converter from any one variety of XML to any
        other format or to any other variety of XML. Word documents can contain an enormous
        amount of information of many different kinds; the XML that stores it can get very complex.

        Microsoft's XML is just as "open", just as well documented, as, say, OpenOffice's XML. It's a
        non-trivial job to make converters for either of them. Neither one is "proprietary" but each is
        unique.

        This topic has been very widely discussed on the web. A ten-second Google search can
        provide more detail than I've tried to offer here.

        > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format?
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 18 3:41 PM
          On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:36 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

          > However, while we are on an off-topic
          > issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

          That is simply a Word Microsoft Office Open XML format document with
          "macros enabled". Essentially a .docx file with macros.

          Randy B. Singer
          Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 18 3:52 PM
            On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

            > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
            > again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary?

            It is not exactly any of those. Microsoft has based its new document
            format on XML, but it has extended it, and they have even included
            Zip-like compression to the file format.

            While the format was originally going to be proprietary, it is now an
            ISO-certified open format and everyone has access to the
            specifications, so theoretically any developer can create perfect
            translators or use this file format in their product.
            http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102057841033.aspx

            Microsoft's file format is in competition with the OpenDocument
            format, another XML-based format, that IBM and others are pushing.
            http://opendocumentfellowship.org/

            While the OpenDocument format may never supplant the Microsoft docx
            format, you can credit it with forcing Microsoft to open up their
            format.