Re: [wpmac] How can I convert Word files to Word for Mac!

  • Steve Kane
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
      There are two products that allow running Dashboard Widgets with 10.3
      Panther.

      Amnesty Singles $10, or Amnesty Widget Browser $20

      <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26627>
      <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30328>

      On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

      > This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work
      > for
      > 10.3.9
      >
      > mrobbins@... wrote:
      >>

      >> Take a look at this, it might be of help.
      >>
      >> http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
    • Tison Campbell
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
        I think that MS is going to offer (beta) support for Office 2004 soon
        and Neo Office (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
        name=News&file=article&sid=116), which is free, should have support
        by the end of the month.

        -Tison Campbell

      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
          Every implementation of XML is slightly different. Even though the XML format is open, it
          takes work (usually a *lot* of work) to write a converter from any one variety of XML to any
          other format or to any other variety of XML. Word documents can contain an enormous
          amount of information of many different kinds; the XML that stores it can get very complex.

          Microsoft's XML is just as "open", just as well documented, as, say, OpenOffice's XML. It's a
          non-trivial job to make converters for either of them. Neither one is "proprietary" but each is
          unique.

          This topic has been very widely discussed on the web. A ten-second Google search can
          provide more detail than I've tried to offer here.

          > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format?
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
            On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:36 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

            > However, while we are on an off-topic
            > issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

            That is simply a Word Microsoft Office Open XML format document with
            "macros enabled". Essentially a .docx file with macros.

            Randy B. Singer
            Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

            Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
              On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

              > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
              > again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary?

              It is not exactly any of those. Microsoft has based its new document
              format on XML, but it has extended it, and they have even included
              Zip-like compression to the file format.

              While the format was originally going to be proprietary, it is now an
              ISO-certified open format and everyone has access to the
              specifications, so theoretically any developer can create perfect
              translators or use this file format in their product.
              http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102057841033.aspx

              Microsoft's file format is in competition with the OpenDocument
              format, another XML-based format, that IBM and others are pushing.
              http://opendocumentfellowship.org/

              While the OpenDocument format may never supplant the Microsoft docx
              format, you can credit it with forcing Microsoft to open up their
              format.