Re: [wpmac] Re:[OT] What we do here . . .

  • Jean Sparks
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2007
      Corel Wordperfect 3.5 won't work on the intel mac's however there is
      a free solution called sheepshaver which will. There are some good
      forums on it. Homepage is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordperfectmac/
      Then click on links. Can't remember if you need to be a group member
      (it's free) or just a Yahoo member (also free) to get into links. In
      any case you will see the option for Sheepsaver and Basilisk - I
      understand that Sheepsaver is better. I do not have an Intel so don't
      use this version but have successfully used the 3.5 version on the
      site for my iBook G4. I was finally able to open some files sent by
      Windows WP users. Forums seem to be responsive too. Hope this helps.
      Jean

      On Feb 17, 2007, at 10:26 AM, L.D. Sledge wrote:

      > I bought Corel Wordperfect 3.5 for Macintosh from Amazon for my Mac
      > OS X,
      > but it will not work! I am new to Mac, having been a PC user since
      > there
      > was such a thing, and was convinced to switch. As a writer, I need
      > to access
      > the old WP and Word files and cannot convert them to use with this
      > Mac. I
      > am about to chuck this sweet little sucker and go back to PC¹s. I have
      > several desktop PC¹s at home in Louisiana, and wanted to have a new
      > laptop
      > as I travel, and now cannot access old files I have written. I thought
      > another
      > wall. If I cannot solve this soon I will be forced to sell this
      > little guy
      > and go back where I once was comfortable but hated all the viruses,
      > etc.
      >
      > Ldsledge
      > Clearwater, Fl

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2007
        Ok, I'll start off by asking what Mac Laptop you got, what version of
        MacOS X you are running and all those "techie" questions one would get
        asked if one were calling a helpdesk. What it sounds like is, you
        haven't gotten Classic (OS9.2.2) loaded on the machine. I have a DMG
        file which is DVD sized and will load the whole Classic Environment on
        a PPC mac of any stripe which would not boot from an OS9 CD or hard
        drive. If your machine is an Intel based Mac, then John Rethorst's
        posts on SheepShaver will be helpful.

        YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "L.D. Sledge" <easywriter@...>
        wrote:

        > I bought Corel Wordperfect 3.5 for Macintosh from Amazon for my Mac
        OS X,
        > but it will not work! I am new to Mac, having been a PC user since
        there
        > was such a thing, and was convinced to switch. As a writer, I need
        to access
        > the old WP and Word files and cannot convert them to use with this
        Mac. I
        > am about to chuck this sweet little sucker and go back to PC�s. I have
        > several desktop PC�s at home in Louisiana, and wanted to have a new
        laptop
        > as I travel, and now cannot access old files I have written. I thought
        > wall. If I cannot solve this soon I will be forced to sell this
        little guy
        > and go back where I once was comfortable but hated all the viruses, etc.
        >
        > Ldsledge
        > Clearwater, Fl

      • J Busch
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2007
          LD,

          What is this 'new wall blocking you'? Is Mac WP 3.5
          not starting up? Are you having troubles opening
          files? What version of OS X are you using? Do you
          have a newer Intel Mac or an older PPC version? The
          good news is that you have many experts here to help
          you out, many already providing several options of
          converting WP files to Word.

          -Jonathan

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com