Re: [wpmac] How can I convert Word files to Word for Mac!

  • C. Dixon
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
      If you think that is fun, wait till you see the Open Office "saves as Word" documents!

      Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
      .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
      but so much for cross-platform capability.

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
        Dear All

        Thanks for all the advice and helpful links. I contacted the sender
        who consulted their help desk and discovered that they now had Word
        2007 and that it has a different file format (when there's an
        institutional upgrade, I do wish the techies would tell the users of
        any potential 'hiccups'). They then saved in the former .doc format
        and re-sent the file to me. However, while we are on an off-topic
        issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

        Geoff

        >On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
        >
        >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
        >> .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
        >> but so much for cross-platform capability.
        >
        >There is already a commercial converter:
        >http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html
        >
        >And this free product will do a fair job:
        >
        >docx
        >http://docx-converter.com/

        >Randy B. Singer
        >Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)
        >
        >Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        >http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

      • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
          This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work for
          10.3.9

          mrobbins@... wrote:

          > Take a look at this, it might be of help.
          >
          > http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
          >
          >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
          >> 2007 .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed
          >> soon, but so much for cross-platform capability.
          >>
          >> Geoff

          If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

          mailto:pjones@...

          <http://www.vpea.org>
        • Steve Kane
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
            There are two products that allow running Dashboard Widgets with 10.3
            Panther.

            Amnesty Singles $10, or Amnesty Widget Browser $20

            <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26627>
            <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30328>

            On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

            > This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work
            > for
            > 10.3.9
            >
            > mrobbins@... wrote:
            >>

            >> Take a look at this, it might be of help.
            >>
            >> http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
              Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
              again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary? I don't know
              much about the technical details of the format (except that the files
              saved in that format are the OSX package files--that might be the
              wrong term, but I mean the ones with components that you can open if
              you control-click the file name). Mellel converted to that format
              last year, and one thing I noticed right away is that the files are
              much smaller than files in a format such as .doc or .rtf.
              Rick Albright
              On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:56 PM, James ARTHURS wrote:

              > Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
              > ------
              >
              > Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
              > by Ed@...
              >
              > A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
              > Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
              > format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
              > extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
              > incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
              > 2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,
              >
              > For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
              > files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
              > that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
              > links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
              > Check it out here:
              >
              > http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
              > convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html
              >
              > In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
              > advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
              > one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
              > incompatible formats!
              >
              > +---------------------------------------------------------+
              >
              > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
              >
              > > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
              > 2007
              > > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
              > > but so much for cross-platform capability.
              > >
              > > Geoff

              “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
              --Edward R. Murrow

              Rick Albright
              logres@...
            • Tison Campbell
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                I think that MS is going to offer (beta) support for Office 2004 soon
                and Neo Office (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
                name=News&file=article&sid=116), which is free, should have support
                by the end of the month.

                -Tison Campbell

              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                  Every implementation of XML is slightly different. Even though the XML format is open, it
                  takes work (usually a *lot* of work) to write a converter from any one variety of XML to any
                  other format or to any other variety of XML. Word documents can contain an enormous
                  amount of information of many different kinds; the XML that stores it can get very complex.

                  Microsoft's XML is just as "open", just as well documented, as, say, OpenOffice's XML. It's a
                  non-trivial job to make converters for either of them. Neither one is "proprietary" but each is
                  unique.

                  This topic has been very widely discussed on the web. A ten-second Google search can
                  provide more detail than I've tried to offer here.

                  > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format?
                • Randy B. Singer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                    On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:36 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                    > However, while we are on an off-topic
                    > issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                    That is simply a Word Microsoft Office Open XML format document with
                    "macros enabled". Essentially a .docx file with macros.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                      On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                      > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                      > again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary?

                      It is not exactly any of those. Microsoft has based its new document
                      format on XML, but it has extended it, and they have even included
                      Zip-like compression to the file format.

                      While the format was originally going to be proprietary, it is now an
                      ISO-certified open format and everyone has access to the
                      specifications, so theoretically any developer can create perfect
                      translators or use this file format in their product.
                      http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102057841033.aspx

                      Microsoft's file format is in competition with the OpenDocument
                      format, another XML-based format, that IBM and others are pushing.
                      http://opendocumentfellowship.org/

                      While the OpenDocument format may never supplant the Microsoft docx
                      format, you can credit it with forcing Microsoft to open up their
                      format.