Re: [wpmac] How can I convert Word files to Word for Mac!

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
      Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
      .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
      but so much for cross-platform capability.

      Geoff
    • mrobbins@pacbell.net
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
        Take a look at this, it might be of help.

        http://docx-converter.com/

        Mike

        On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

        > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
        > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
        > but so much for cross-platform capability.
        >
        > Geoff

      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
          On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

          > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
          > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
          > but so much for cross-platform capability.

          There is already a commercial converter:
          http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html

          And this free product will do a fair job:

          docx
          http://docx-converter.com/

          Randy B. Singer
          Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • James ARTHURS
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
            Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
            ------

            Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
            by Ed@...

            A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
            Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
            format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
            extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
            incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
            2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,

            For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
            files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
            that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
            links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
            Check it out here:

            http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
            convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

            In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
            advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
            one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
            incompatible formats!

            On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

            > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
            > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
            > but so much for cross-platform capability.
            >
            > Geoff
          • C. Dixon
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
              If you think that is fun, wait till you see the Open Office "saves as Word" documents!

              Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
              .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
              but so much for cross-platform capability.

            • Jean Sparks
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                Hi,
                I cannot verify this myself as to it's effectiveness but Smalldog's
                Kibbles & Bytes Newsletter today had an article on it. They
                recommended Creative Tech with some work arounds. It seems easy
                enough but I must again say I have not tried it.

                http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

                Hope this helps,

                Jean

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                  Dear All

                  Thanks for all the advice and helpful links. I contacted the sender
                  who consulted their help desk and discovered that they now had Word
                  2007 and that it has a different file format (when there's an
                  institutional upgrade, I do wish the techies would tell the users of
                  any potential 'hiccups'). They then saved in the former .doc format
                  and re-sent the file to me. However, while we are on an off-topic
                  issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                  Geoff

                  >On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                  >
                  >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                  >> .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                  >> but so much for cross-platform capability.
                  >
                  >There is already a commercial converter:
                  >http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html
                  >
                  >And this free product will do a fair job:
                  >
                  >docx
                  >http://docx-converter.com/

                  >Randy B. Singer
                  >Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)
                  >
                  >Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                  >http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

                • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                    This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work for
                    10.3.9

                    mrobbins@... wrote:

                    > Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                    >
                    > http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                    >
                    > Mike
                    >
                    > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                    >
                    >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                    >> 2007 .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed
                    >> soon, but so much for cross-platform capability.
                    >>
                    >> Geoff

                    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                    mailto:pjones@...

                    <http://www.vpea.org>
                  • Steve Kane
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                      There are two products that allow running Dashboard Widgets with 10.3
                      Panther.

                      Amnesty Singles $10, or Amnesty Widget Browser $20

                      <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26627>
                      <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30328>

                      On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

                      > This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work
                      > for
                      > 10.3.9
                      >
                      > mrobbins@... wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                      >>
                      >> http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                    • Rick Albright
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                        Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                        again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary? I don't know
                        much about the technical details of the format (except that the files
                        saved in that format are the OSX package files--that might be the
                        wrong term, but I mean the ones with components that you can open if
                        you control-click the file name). Mellel converted to that format
                        last year, and one thing I noticed right away is that the files are
                        much smaller than files in a format such as .doc or .rtf.
                        Rick Albright
                        On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:56 PM, James ARTHURS wrote:

                        > Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
                        > ------
                        >
                        > Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
                        > by Ed@...
                        >
                        > A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
                        > Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
                        > format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
                        > extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
                        > incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
                        > 2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,
                        >
                        > For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
                        > files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
                        > that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
                        > links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
                        > Check it out here:
                        >
                        > http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                        > convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html
                        >
                        > In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
                        > advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
                        > one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
                        > incompatible formats!
                        >
                        > +---------------------------------------------------------+
                        >
                        > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                        >
                        > > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                        > 2007
                        > > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                        > > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                        > >
                        > > Geoff

                        “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
                        --Edward R. Murrow

                        Rick Albright
                        logres@...
                      • Tison Campbell
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                          I think that MS is going to offer (beta) support for Office 2004 soon
                          and Neo Office (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
                          name=News&file=article&sid=116), which is free, should have support
                          by the end of the month.

                          -Tison Campbell

                        • Edward Mendelson
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                            Every implementation of XML is slightly different. Even though the XML format is open, it
                            takes work (usually a *lot* of work) to write a converter from any one variety of XML to any
                            other format or to any other variety of XML. Word documents can contain an enormous
                            amount of information of many different kinds; the XML that stores it can get very complex.

                            Microsoft's XML is just as "open", just as well documented, as, say, OpenOffice's XML. It's a
                            non-trivial job to make converters for either of them. Neither one is "proprietary" but each is
                            unique.

                            This topic has been very widely discussed on the web. A ten-second Google search can
                            provide more detail than I've tried to offer here.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                              On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:36 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                              > However, while we are on an off-topic
                              > issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                              That is simply a Word Microsoft Office Open XML format document with
                              "macros enabled". Essentially a .docx file with macros.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                                > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                                > again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary?

                                It is not exactly any of those. Microsoft has based its new document
                                format on XML, but it has extended it, and they have even included
                                Zip-like compression to the file format.

                                While the format was originally going to be proprietary, it is now an
                                ISO-certified open format and everyone has access to the
                                specifications, so theoretically any developer can create perfect
                                translators or use this file format in their product.
                                http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102057841033.aspx

                                Microsoft's file format is in competition with the OpenDocument
                                format, another XML-based format, that IBM and others are pushing.
                                http://opendocumentfellowship.org/

                                While the OpenDocument format may never supplant the Microsoft docx
                                format, you can credit it with forcing Microsoft to open up their
                                format.