Re: NeoOffice conversion

  • pjandlar
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
      Nope, it is not locked and it is not read only.

      I have ownership (and I'm the only user on the computer - an Intel Mac), and I have Read
      &Write access. Initially Group and Others had only read access, but I just changed that to
      Read/Write, and still Word (or the OS) refuses to replace the file when I save it. I've got to
      change its name in order to successfully save my changes..

      This happens with ALL files I've converted from WordPerfect to Word via NeoOffice.

      Pam

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
        Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
        .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
        but so much for cross-platform capability.

        Geoff
      • mrobbins@pacbell.net
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
          Take a look at this, it might be of help.

          http://docx-converter.com/

          Mike

          On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

          > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
          > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
          > but so much for cross-platform capability.
          >
          > Geoff

        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
            On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

            > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
            > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
            > but so much for cross-platform capability.

            There is already a commercial converter:
            http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html

            And this free product will do a fair job:

            docx
            http://docx-converter.com/

            Randy B. Singer
            Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

            Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          • James ARTHURS
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
              Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
              ------

              Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
              by Ed@...

              A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
              Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
              format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
              extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
              incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
              2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,

              For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
              files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
              that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
              links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
              Check it out here:

              http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
              convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

              In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
              advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
              one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
              incompatible formats!

              On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

              > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
              > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
              > but so much for cross-platform capability.
              >
              > Geoff
            • C. Dixon
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                If you think that is fun, wait till you see the Open Office "saves as Word" documents!

                Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                but so much for cross-platform capability.

              • Jean Sparks
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                  Hi,
                  I cannot verify this myself as to it's effectiveness but Smalldog's
                  Kibbles & Bytes Newsletter today had an article on it. They
                  recommended Creative Tech with some work arounds. It seems easy
                  enough but I must again say I have not tried it.

                  http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                  convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

                  Hope this helps,

                  Jean

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                    Dear All

                    Thanks for all the advice and helpful links. I contacted the sender
                    who consulted their help desk and discovered that they now had Word
                    2007 and that it has a different file format (when there's an
                    institutional upgrade, I do wish the techies would tell the users of
                    any potential 'hiccups'). They then saved in the former .doc format
                    and re-sent the file to me. However, while we are on an off-topic
                    issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                    Geoff

                    >On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                    >
                    >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                    >> .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                    >> but so much for cross-platform capability.
                    >
                    >There is already a commercial converter:
                    >http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html
                    >
                    >And this free product will do a fair job:
                    >
                    >docx
                    >http://docx-converter.com/

                    >Randy B. Singer
                    >Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)
                    >
                    >Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                    >http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

                  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                      This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work for
                      10.3.9

                      mrobbins@... wrote:

                      > Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                      >
                      > http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                      >
                      > Mike
                      >
                      > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                      >
                      >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                      >> 2007 .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed
                      >> soon, but so much for cross-platform capability.
                      >>
                      >> Geoff

                      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                      mailto:pjones@...

                      <http://www.vpea.org>
                    • Steve Kane
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                        There are two products that allow running Dashboard Widgets with 10.3
                        Panther.

                        Amnesty Singles $10, or Amnesty Widget Browser $20

                        <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26627>
                        <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30328>

                        On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

                        > This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work
                        > for
                        > 10.3.9
                        >
                        > mrobbins@... wrote:
                        >>

                        >> Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                        >>
                        >> http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                      • Rick Albright
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                          Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                          again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary? I don't know
                          much about the technical details of the format (except that the files
                          saved in that format are the OSX package files--that might be the
                          wrong term, but I mean the ones with components that you can open if
                          you control-click the file name). Mellel converted to that format
                          last year, and one thing I noticed right away is that the files are
                          much smaller than files in a format such as .doc or .rtf.
                          Rick Albright
                          On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:56 PM, James ARTHURS wrote:

                          > Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
                          > ------
                          >
                          > Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
                          > by Ed@...
                          >
                          > A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
                          > Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
                          > format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
                          > extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
                          > incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
                          > 2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,
                          >
                          > For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
                          > files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
                          > that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
                          > links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
                          > Check it out here:
                          >
                          > http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                          > convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html
                          >
                          > In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
                          > advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
                          > one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
                          > incompatible formats!
                          >
                          > +---------------------------------------------------------+
                          >
                          > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                          >
                          > > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                          > 2007
                          > > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                          > > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                          > >
                          > > Geoff

                          “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
                          --Edward R. Murrow

                          Rick Albright
                          logres@...
                        • Tison Campbell
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                            I think that MS is going to offer (beta) support for Office 2004 soon
                            and Neo Office (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
                            name=News&file=article&sid=116), which is free, should have support
                            by the end of the month.

                            -Tison Campbell

                          • Edward Mendelson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                              Every implementation of XML is slightly different. Even though the XML format is open, it
                              takes work (usually a *lot* of work) to write a converter from any one variety of XML to any
                              other format or to any other variety of XML. Word documents can contain an enormous
                              amount of information of many different kinds; the XML that stores it can get very complex.

                              Microsoft's XML is just as "open", just as well documented, as, say, OpenOffice's XML. It's a
                              non-trivial job to make converters for either of them. Neither one is "proprietary" but each is
                              unique.

                              This topic has been very widely discussed on the web. A ten-second Google search can
                              provide more detail than I've tried to offer here.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:36 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                                > However, while we are on an off-topic
                                > issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                                That is simply a Word Microsoft Office Open XML format document with
                                "macros enabled". Essentially a .docx file with macros.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                  On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                                  > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                                  > again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary?

                                  It is not exactly any of those. Microsoft has based its new document
                                  format on XML, but it has extended it, and they have even included
                                  Zip-like compression to the file format.

                                  While the format was originally going to be proprietary, it is now an
                                  ISO-certified open format and everyone has access to the
                                  specifications, so theoretically any developer can create perfect
                                  translators or use this file format in their product.
                                  http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102057841033.aspx

                                  Microsoft's file format is in competition with the OpenDocument
                                  format, another XML-based format, that IBM and others are pushing.
                                  http://opendocumentfellowship.org/

                                  While the OpenDocument format may never supplant the Microsoft docx
                                  format, you can credit it with forcing Microsoft to open up their
                                  format.