Re: [wpmac] How can I convert WP files to Word for Mac

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
      > 4-Download the last version of WordPerfect for Macintosh and run it
      > in the Classic environment (which won't work on an Intel-based Mac
      > since Classic won't run on an Intel-based Mac) or run it using
      > Sheepshaver for Intel-based Macs; it will read your .wpd files and
      > you can save them in .doc format.

      Assuming your new Mac is Intel-based, go to the Links section here,
      to the SheepShaver & Basilisk folder, and download SheepShaver-
      WordPerfect Install (2). Free, instructions are included.

      The MetaMacro utility, free in the Files section here, can convert any
      number of WP documents to RTF at one time. A slight revision to the
      Save as RTF macro would let MetaMacro save files in Word 6 format,
      which later version of Word will open.

      John R.
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
        On Feb 11, 2007, at 1:56 PM, pjandlar wrote:

        > I thought I'd mention this in case anyone might not know
        > how to handle the initial inability to save a Word file
        > that's come to word from WP via NeoOffice, and in case
        > anyone knows of a fix that will avoid this minor
        > inconvenience.

        Do a Get Info on one of the offending files and see if it is either
        locked, or if it is set to Read Only.
        Randy B. Singer
        Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • pjandlar
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
          Nope, it is not locked and it is not read only.

          I have ownership (and I'm the only user on the computer - an Intel Mac), and I have Read
          &Write access. Initially Group and Others had only read access, but I just changed that to
          Read/Write, and still Word (or the OS) refuses to replace the file when I save it. I've got to
          change its name in order to successfully save my changes..

          This happens with ALL files I've converted from WordPerfect to Word via NeoOffice.

          Pam

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
            Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
            .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
            but so much for cross-platform capability.

            Geoff
          • mrobbins@pacbell.net
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
              Take a look at this, it might be of help.

              http://docx-converter.com/

              Mike

              On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

              > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
              > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
              > but so much for cross-platform capability.
              >
              > Geoff

            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                > but so much for cross-platform capability.

                There is already a commercial converter:
                http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html

                And this free product will do a fair job:

                docx
                http://docx-converter.com/

                Randy B. Singer
                Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

                Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
              • James ARTHURS
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                  Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
                  ------

                  Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
                  by Ed@...

                  A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
                  Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
                  format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
                  extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
                  incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
                  2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,

                  For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
                  files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
                  that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
                  links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
                  Check it out here:

                  http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                  convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

                  In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
                  advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
                  one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
                  incompatible formats!

                  On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                  > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                  > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                  > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                  >
                  > Geoff
                • C. Dixon
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                    If you think that is fun, wait till you see the Open Office "saves as Word" documents!

                    Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                    .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                    but so much for cross-platform capability.

                  • Jean Sparks
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                      Hi,
                      I cannot verify this myself as to it's effectiveness but Smalldog's
                      Kibbles & Bytes Newsletter today had an article on it. They
                      recommended Creative Tech with some work arounds. It seems easy
                      enough but I must again say I have not tried it.

                      http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                      convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

                      Hope this helps,

                      Jean

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                        Dear All

                        Thanks for all the advice and helpful links. I contacted the sender
                        who consulted their help desk and discovered that they now had Word
                        2007 and that it has a different file format (when there's an
                        institutional upgrade, I do wish the techies would tell the users of
                        any potential 'hiccups'). They then saved in the former .doc format
                        and re-sent the file to me. However, while we are on an off-topic
                        issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                        Geoff

                        >On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                        >
                        >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                        >> .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                        >> but so much for cross-platform capability.
                        >
                        >There is already a commercial converter:
                        >http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html
                        >
                        >And this free product will do a fair job:
                        >
                        >docx
                        >http://docx-converter.com/

                        >Randy B. Singer
                        >Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)
                        >
                        >Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                        >http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

                      • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                          This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work for
                          10.3.9

                          mrobbins@... wrote:

                          > Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                          >
                          > http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                          >
                          > Mike
                          >
                          > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                          >
                          >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                          >> 2007 .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed
                          >> soon, but so much for cross-platform capability.
                          >>
                          >> Geoff

                          If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                          mailto:pjones@...

                          <http://www.vpea.org>
                        • Steve Kane
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                            There are two products that allow running Dashboard Widgets with 10.3
                            Panther.

                            Amnesty Singles $10, or Amnesty Widget Browser $20

                            <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26627>
                            <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30328>

                            On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

                            > This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work
                            > for
                            > 10.3.9
                            >
                            > mrobbins@... wrote:
                            >>

                            >> Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                            >>
                            >> http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                          • Rick Albright
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                              Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                              again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary? I don't know
                              much about the technical details of the format (except that the files
                              saved in that format are the OSX package files--that might be the
                              wrong term, but I mean the ones with components that you can open if
                              you control-click the file name). Mellel converted to that format
                              last year, and one thing I noticed right away is that the files are
                              much smaller than files in a format such as .doc or .rtf.
                              Rick Albright
                              On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:56 PM, James ARTHURS wrote:

                              > Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
                              > ------
                              >
                              > Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
                              > by Ed@...
                              >
                              > A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
                              > Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
                              > format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
                              > extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
                              > incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
                              > 2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,
                              >
                              > For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
                              > files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
                              > that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
                              > links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
                              > Check it out here:
                              >
                              > http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                              > convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html
                              >
                              > In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
                              > advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
                              > one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
                              > incompatible formats!
                              >
                              > +---------------------------------------------------------+
                              >
                              > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                              >
                              > > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                              > 2007
                              > > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                              > > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                              > >
                              > > Geoff

                              “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
                              --Edward R. Murrow

                              Rick Albright
                              logres@...
                            • Tison Campbell
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                I think that MS is going to offer (beta) support for Office 2004 soon
                                and Neo Office (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
                                name=News&file=article&sid=116), which is free, should have support
                                by the end of the month.

                                -Tison Campbell

                              • Edward Mendelson
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                  Every implementation of XML is slightly different. Even though the XML format is open, it
                                  takes work (usually a *lot* of work) to write a converter from any one variety of XML to any
                                  other format or to any other variety of XML. Word documents can contain an enormous
                                  amount of information of many different kinds; the XML that stores it can get very complex.

                                  Microsoft's XML is just as "open", just as well documented, as, say, OpenOffice's XML. It's a
                                  non-trivial job to make converters for either of them. Neither one is "proprietary" but each is
                                  unique.

                                  This topic has been very widely discussed on the web. A ten-second Google search can
                                  provide more detail than I've tried to offer here.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                    On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:36 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                                    > However, while we are on an off-topic
                                    > issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                                    That is simply a Word Microsoft Office Open XML format document with
                                    "macros enabled". Essentially a .docx file with macros.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                      On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                                      > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                                      > again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary?

                                      It is not exactly any of those. Microsoft has based its new document
                                      format on XML, but it has extended it, and they have even included
                                      Zip-like compression to the file format.

                                      While the format was originally going to be proprietary, it is now an
                                      ISO-certified open format and everyone has access to the
                                      specifications, so theoretically any developer can create perfect
                                      translators or use this file format in their product.
                                      http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102057841033.aspx

                                      Microsoft's file format is in competition with the OpenDocument
                                      format, another XML-based format, that IBM and others are pushing.
                                      http://opendocumentfellowship.org/

                                      While the OpenDocument format may never supplant the Microsoft docx
                                      format, you can credit it with forcing Microsoft to open up their
                                      format.