NeoOffice conversion

  • pjandlar
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
      Though NeoOffice has been very handy for opening my WP
      files with no effort on my part - double-clicking the files
      opens them right up in NeoOffice with no need for me to
      actively do anything - I have noticed a bit of a glitch
      after saving them as Word docs.

      If I open, a WordPerfect file, say myfile, in NeoOffice,
      then save it as myfile.doc in Word format, then open it in
      Word and work on it, when I save it from Word, Word (or the
      OS?) refuses to save it with the same name, myfile.doc. I
      get the dialog asking me if I want to replace myfile.doc
      and say yes, but then the save dialog just bounces right
      back presumably asking me for a new name or destination.
      The easy solution is just to call it myfile2.doc - no
      biggie, but some people might get frustrated.

      I thought I'd mention this in case anyone might not know
      how to handle the initial inability to save a Word file
      that's come to word from WP via NeoOffice, and in case
      anyone knows of a fix that will avoid this minor
      inconvenience.

      Pam

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
        > 4-Download the last version of WordPerfect for Macintosh and run it
        > in the Classic environment (which won't work on an Intel-based Mac
        > since Classic won't run on an Intel-based Mac) or run it using
        > Sheepshaver for Intel-based Macs; it will read your .wpd files and
        > you can save them in .doc format.

        Assuming your new Mac is Intel-based, go to the Links section here,
        to the SheepShaver & Basilisk folder, and download SheepShaver-
        WordPerfect Install (2). Free, instructions are included.

        The MetaMacro utility, free in the Files section here, can convert any
        number of WP documents to RTF at one time. A slight revision to the
        Save as RTF macro would let MetaMacro save files in Word 6 format,
        which later version of Word will open.

        John R.
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
          On Feb 11, 2007, at 1:56 PM, pjandlar wrote:

          > I thought I'd mention this in case anyone might not know
          > how to handle the initial inability to save a Word file
          > that's come to word from WP via NeoOffice, and in case
          > anyone knows of a fix that will avoid this minor
          > inconvenience.

          Do a Get Info on one of the offending files and see if it is either
          locked, or if it is set to Read Only.
          Randy B. Singer
          Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • pjandlar
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
            Nope, it is not locked and it is not read only.

            I have ownership (and I'm the only user on the computer - an Intel Mac), and I have Read
            &Write access. Initially Group and Others had only read access, but I just changed that to
            Read/Write, and still Word (or the OS) refuses to replace the file when I save it. I've got to
            change its name in order to successfully save my changes..

            This happens with ALL files I've converted from WordPerfect to Word via NeoOffice.

            Pam

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
              Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
              .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
              but so much for cross-platform capability.

              Geoff
            • mrobbins@pacbell.net
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                Take a look at this, it might be of help.

                http://docx-converter.com/

                Mike

                On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                >
                > Geoff

              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                  On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                  > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                  > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                  > but so much for cross-platform capability.

                  There is already a commercial converter:
                  http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html

                  And this free product will do a fair job:

                  docx
                  http://docx-converter.com/

                  Randy B. Singer
                  Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

                  Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                  http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                • James ARTHURS
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                    Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
                    ------

                    Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
                    by Ed@...

                    A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
                    Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
                    format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
                    extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
                    incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
                    2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,

                    For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
                    files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
                    that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
                    links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
                    Check it out here:

                    http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                    convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

                    In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
                    advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
                    one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
                    incompatible formats!

                    On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                    > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                    > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                    > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                    >
                    > Geoff
                  • C. Dixon
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                      If you think that is fun, wait till you see the Open Office "saves as Word" documents!

                      Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                      .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                      but so much for cross-platform capability.

                    • Jean Sparks
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                        Hi,
                        I cannot verify this myself as to it's effectiveness but Smalldog's
                        Kibbles & Bytes Newsletter today had an article on it. They
                        recommended Creative Tech with some work arounds. It seems easy
                        enough but I must again say I have not tried it.

                        http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                        convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

                        Hope this helps,

                        Jean

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                          Dear All

                          Thanks for all the advice and helpful links. I contacted the sender
                          who consulted their help desk and discovered that they now had Word
                          2007 and that it has a different file format (when there's an
                          institutional upgrade, I do wish the techies would tell the users of
                          any potential 'hiccups'). They then saved in the former .doc format
                          and re-sent the file to me. However, while we are on an off-topic
                          issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                          Geoff

                          >On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                          >
                          >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                          >> .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                          >> but so much for cross-platform capability.
                          >
                          >There is already a commercial converter:
                          >http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html
                          >
                          >And this free product will do a fair job:
                          >
                          >docx
                          >http://docx-converter.com/

                          >Randy B. Singer
                          >Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)
                          >
                          >Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                          >http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

                        • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                            This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work for
                            10.3.9

                            mrobbins@... wrote:

                            > Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                            >
                            > http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                            >
                            > Mike
                            >
                            > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                            >
                            >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                            >> 2007 .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed
                            >> soon, but so much for cross-platform capability.
                            >>
                            >> Geoff

                            If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                            mailto:pjones@...

                            <http://www.vpea.org>
                          • Steve Kane
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                              There are two products that allow running Dashboard Widgets with 10.3
                              Panther.

                              Amnesty Singles $10, or Amnesty Widget Browser $20

                              <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26627>
                              <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30328>

                              On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

                              > This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work
                              > for
                              > 10.3.9
                              >
                              > mrobbins@... wrote:
                              >>

                              >> Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                              >>
                              >> http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                            • Rick Albright
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                                Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                                again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary? I don't know
                                much about the technical details of the format (except that the files
                                saved in that format are the OSX package files--that might be the
                                wrong term, but I mean the ones with components that you can open if
                                you control-click the file name). Mellel converted to that format
                                last year, and one thing I noticed right away is that the files are
                                much smaller than files in a format such as .doc or .rtf.
                                Rick Albright
                                On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:56 PM, James ARTHURS wrote:

                                > Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
                                > ------
                                >
                                > Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
                                > by Ed@...
                                >
                                > A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
                                > Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
                                > format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
                                > extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
                                > incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
                                > 2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,
                                >
                                > For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
                                > files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
                                > that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
                                > links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
                                > Check it out here:
                                >
                                > http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                                > convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html
                                >
                                > In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
                                > advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
                                > one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
                                > incompatible formats!
                                >
                                > +---------------------------------------------------------+
                                >
                                > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                                >
                                > > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                                > 2007
                                > > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                                > > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                                > >
                                > > Geoff

                                “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
                                --Edward R. Murrow

                                Rick Albright
                                logres@...
                              • Tison Campbell
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                  I think that MS is going to offer (beta) support for Office 2004 soon
                                  and Neo Office (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
                                  name=News&file=article&sid=116), which is free, should have support
                                  by the end of the month.

                                  -Tison Campbell

                                • Edward Mendelson
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                    Every implementation of XML is slightly different. Even though the XML format is open, it
                                    takes work (usually a *lot* of work) to write a converter from any one variety of XML to any
                                    other format or to any other variety of XML. Word documents can contain an enormous
                                    amount of information of many different kinds; the XML that stores it can get very complex.

                                    Microsoft's XML is just as "open", just as well documented, as, say, OpenOffice's XML. It's a
                                    non-trivial job to make converters for either of them. Neither one is "proprietary" but each is
                                    unique.

                                    This topic has been very widely discussed on the web. A ten-second Google search can
                                    provide more detail than I've tried to offer here.

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                      On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:36 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                                      > However, while we are on an off-topic
                                      > issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                                      That is simply a Word Microsoft Office Open XML format document with
                                      "macros enabled". Essentially a .docx file with macros.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                        On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                                        > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                                        > again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary?

                                        It is not exactly any of those. Microsoft has based its new document
                                        format on XML, but it has extended it, and they have even included
                                        Zip-like compression to the file format.

                                        While the format was originally going to be proprietary, it is now an
                                        ISO-certified open format and everyone has access to the
                                        specifications, so theoretically any developer can create perfect
                                        translators or use this file format in their product.
                                        http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102057841033.aspx

                                        Microsoft's file format is in competition with the OpenDocument
                                        format, another XML-based format, that IBM and others are pushing.
                                        http://opendocumentfellowship.org/

                                        While the OpenDocument format may never supplant the Microsoft docx
                                        format, you can credit it with forcing Microsoft to open up their
                                        format.