How can I convert WP files to Word for Mac

  • sledgeld
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
      I am a writer, and a new Mac OS X user. I was disappointed to learn
      the my old WP files cannot be converted to Word for the Mac. I have
      hundreds of old WP files that I was using on my old PCs, and now find
      I cannot convert them to Word so I can access them. I am about to
      chuck this Mac for this reason.

      ldsledge
      clearwater, FL
    • thomasbriant
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "sledgeld" <easywriter@...> wrote:

        > I am a writer, and a new Mac OS X user. I was disappointed to learn
        > the my old WP files cannot be converted to Word for the Mac. I have
        > hundreds of old WP files that I was using on my old PCs, and now find
        > I cannot convert them to Word so I can access them. I am about to
        > chuck this Mac for this reason.
        >
        > ldsledge
        > clearwater, FL

        Dear Easy:

        First, love the name "easywriter". Now to your problem. You can use
        either Abiword (www.abisource.com) or Neooffice (www.neooffice.org),
        to read in WordPerfect documents and save them as MS Word
        documents. These OS X programs are FREE.

        I gather you may want a batch conversion option, so I advise you to
        look at MacLinkPlus Deluxe from www.dataviz.com. It costs about
        $70, but it's worth it. Dataviz has the product on sale, too, so check it
        out.

        Tom Briant
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
          Doesn't MacLink Plus do a batch conversion?

          Geoff

          >I am a writer, and a new Mac OS X user. I was disappointed to learn
          >the my old WP files cannot be converted to Word for the Mac. I have
          >hundreds of old WP files that I was using on my old PCs, and now find
          >I cannot convert them to Word so I can access them. I am about to
          >chuck this Mac for this reason.
          >
          >ldsledge
          >clearwater, FL
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Steve Kane
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
            On Feb 11, 2007, at 9:10 AM, sledgeld wrote:

            > I am a writer, and a new Mac OS X user. I was disappointed to learn
            > the my old WP files cannot be converted to Word for the Mac. I have
            > hundreds of old WP files that I was using on my old PCs, and now find
            > I cannot convert them to Word so I can access them. I am about to
            > chuck this Mac for this reason.

            Are your old WP files WP Windows or WP Mac files? Either way,
            MacLinkPlus Deluxe by Dataviz does a fairly good job of converting WP
            to Word and does many other file conversions as well:

            PC to Mac MacLinkPlus Mac File Converter allows you to convert
            Windows to Mac.
            <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html>

            Once you have transferred your files to your Mac you can run
            MacLinkPlus and convert your files either one-at-a-time or in batches.

            The free office suite NeoOffice can open WP files and save them as
            Word files:

            NeoOffice Home
            <http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php>

            The free office suite OpenOffice can also (I'm pretty sure). It is
            not as elegant as NeoOffice and it runs as a unixy app within
            something called X11 (free) in Mac OS X.

            porting: OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X
            <http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/>

            Nisus Writer Express (Pro version will be out soon) can open WP files
            and save to Word:

            Nisus Writer Express - Multilingual Word Processor for Mac OS X
            <http://www.nisus.com/Express/>

            Do you particularly need to or want to use MS Word on your Mac? I
            only ask because there are a variety of modern Mac alternatives,
            depending on your wordprocessing needs. I've mentioned Nisus Writer
            and NeoOffice. There is also:

            Apple Pages, <http://www.apple.com/iwork/pages/>
            RedleX Mellel <http://www.mellel.com/>
            ROM Papyrus <http://www.rom-logicware.com/>

            This forum is dedicated to the continuing use of WordPerfect Mac even
            on modern Intel Mac hardware that no longer runs "classic"
            applications. John Rethorst has put together an installer package
            that allows you to install a "classic" emulator called SheepShaver on
            your Intel Mac that would allow you to run WordPerfect Mac 3.5e.
            Whether this version of Mac WP could open your old WP files would
            depend upon which version of WP they were saved in. See the files
            section at:
          • Charles Watts-Jones
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
              > I was disappointed to learn the my old WP files cannot be
              > converted to Word for the Mac. I have hundreds of old WP
              > files that I was using on my old PCs, and now find I cannot
              > convert them to Word so I can access them. I am about to
              > chuck this Mac for this reason.

              I'm not clear whether you're trying to convert WordPerfect for Windows
              or WordPerfect for Mac files. Both can be converted to Word for Mac by
              Maclink Plus <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html>
              while Abiword (free) and Nisus Writer Express <http://www.nisus.com>
              will open the latter without serious problem, though some of the
              formatting may be lost (I'm not sure about footnotes etc. as I don't
              write with them).

              -- Charles
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
                NeoOffice preserves footnotes, AbiWord does not, although Smokey
                Ardisson is the expert on this.

                Geoff

                > > I was disappointed to learn the my old WP files cannot be
                >> converted to Word for the Mac. I have hundreds of old WP
                >> files that I was using on my old PCs, and now find I cannot
                >> convert them to Word so I can access them. I am about to
                >> chuck this Mac for this reason.
                >
                >I'm not clear whether you're trying to convert WordPerfect for Windows
                >or WordPerfect for Mac files. Both can be converted to Word for Mac by
                >Maclink Plus <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html>
                >while Abiword (free) and Nisus Writer Express <http://www.nisus.com>
                >will open the latter without serious problem, though some of the
                >formatting may be lost (I'm not sure about footnotes etc. as I don't
                >write with them).
                >
                >-- Charles
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
                  On Feb 11, 2007, at 7:10 AM, sledgeld wrote:

                  > I am a writer, and a new Mac OS X user. I was disappointed to learn
                  > the my old WP files cannot be converted to Word for the Mac. I have
                  > hundreds of old WP files that I was using on my old PCs, and now find
                  > I cannot convert them to Word so I can access them. I am about to
                  > chuck this Mac for this reason.

                  Then it is good that you asked for assistance, because there are a
                  bunch of ways to convert WP files to Word format. (Note that there is
                  no such thing as "Word for Mac", Word uses the exact same file format
                  for both Windows PC's and the Macintosh.)

                  1-Purchase MacLinkPlus from DataViz <http://www.dataviz.com/products/
                  maclinkplus/index.html> and use it to convert your .wpd files to .doc
                  files. This, at first, might seem like the ideal solution, but in
                  practice, if your documents have complex formatting, the MacLinkPlus
                  translators can be disappointing.

                  2/3-Download AbiWord (free) <http://www.abisource.com/> or NeoOffice
                  (free)
                  <http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php> and use one of them
                  to open your documents and save them as .doc files for use in Word
                  (or continue using AbiWord or NeoOffice/J as your main word
                  processing application). Both of these programs use the same exact
                  translators, so it doesn't matter which you use.

                  4-Download the last version of WordPerfect for Macintosh and run it
                  in the Classic environment (which won't work on an Intel-based Mac
                  since Classic won't run on an Intel-based Mac) or run it using
                  Sheepshaver for Intel-based Macs; it will read your .wpd files and
                  you can save them in .doc format.
                  <ftp://ftp.r8ix.com/WP-L_Stuff/WordPerfectKit.sit>

                  5-On your old Windows computer, download the free trial version of
                  WordPerfect v.12 for Windows and use the built-in translators, which
                  I understand work really well.

                  <http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Trials/
                  Login&pid=1047022958453&cid=1047022992398>

                  or

                  http://tinyurl.com/6zgal

                  6-CrossWords, a commercial WordPerfect to Word conversion utility,
                  can convert your WP files to Word on your PC before transferring your
                  files to your Macintosh. CrossWords has the huge advantage of
                  allowing you to convert all of your WP documents in one big batch.
                  http://www.levitjames.com/crosswords/CrossWords.html

                  7-Use one of the utilities that allow you to run Windows, or Windows
                  software, on your Mac, to open your WP files in WP/Win or some other
                  Windows conversion utility. e.g. BootCamp, Parallels, Crossover, etc.

                  8-Nisus Writer Express can also open Word Perfect files. It uses the
                  same translators used
                  by NeoOffice and AbiWord which is this one here:
                  <http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/index.html>

                  Randy B. Singer
                  Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

                  Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                  http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                • pjandlar
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
                    Though NeoOffice has been very handy for opening my WP
                    files with no effort on my part - double-clicking the files
                    opens them right up in NeoOffice with no need for me to
                    actively do anything - I have noticed a bit of a glitch
                    after saving them as Word docs.

                    If I open, a WordPerfect file, say myfile, in NeoOffice,
                    then save it as myfile.doc in Word format, then open it in
                    Word and work on it, when I save it from Word, Word (or the
                    OS?) refuses to save it with the same name, myfile.doc. I
                    get the dialog asking me if I want to replace myfile.doc
                    and say yes, but then the save dialog just bounces right
                    back presumably asking me for a new name or destination.
                    The easy solution is just to call it myfile2.doc - no
                    biggie, but some people might get frustrated.

                    I thought I'd mention this in case anyone might not know
                    how to handle the initial inability to save a Word file
                    that's come to word from WP via NeoOffice, and in case
                    anyone knows of a fix that will avoid this minor
                    inconvenience.

                    Pam

                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
                      > 4-Download the last version of WordPerfect for Macintosh and run it
                      > in the Classic environment (which won't work on an Intel-based Mac
                      > since Classic won't run on an Intel-based Mac) or run it using
                      > Sheepshaver for Intel-based Macs; it will read your .wpd files and
                      > you can save them in .doc format.

                      Assuming your new Mac is Intel-based, go to the Links section here,
                      to the SheepShaver & Basilisk folder, and download SheepShaver-
                      WordPerfect Install (2). Free, instructions are included.

                      The MetaMacro utility, free in the Files section here, can convert any
                      number of WP documents to RTF at one time. A slight revision to the
                      Save as RTF macro would let MetaMacro save files in Word 6 format,
                      which later version of Word will open.

                      John R.
                    • Randy B. Singer
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
                        On Feb 11, 2007, at 1:56 PM, pjandlar wrote:

                        > I thought I'd mention this in case anyone might not know
                        > how to handle the initial inability to save a Word file
                        > that's come to word from WP via NeoOffice, and in case
                        > anyone knows of a fix that will avoid this minor
                        > inconvenience.

                        Do a Get Info on one of the offending files and see if it is either
                        locked, or if it is set to Read Only.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 11, 2007
                          Nope, it is not locked and it is not read only.

                          I have ownership (and I'm the only user on the computer - an Intel Mac), and I have Read
                          &Write access. Initially Group and Others had only read access, but I just changed that to
                          Read/Write, and still Word (or the OS) refuses to replace the file when I save it. I've got to
                          change its name in order to successfully save my changes..

                          This happens with ALL files I've converted from WordPerfect to Word via NeoOffice.

                          Pam

                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                            Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                            .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                            but so much for cross-platform capability.

                            Geoff
                          • mrobbins@pacbell.net
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                              Take a look at this, it might be of help.

                              http://docx-converter.com/

                              Mike

                              On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                              > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                              > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                              > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                              >
                              > Geoff

                            • Randy B. Singer
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                                On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                                > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                                > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                                > but so much for cross-platform capability.

                                There is already a commercial converter:
                                http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html

                                And this free product will do a fair job:

                                docx
                                http://docx-converter.com/

                                Randy B. Singer
                                Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)

                                Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                                http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                              • James ARTHURS
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                                  Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
                                  ------

                                  Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
                                  by Ed@...

                                  A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
                                  Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
                                  format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
                                  extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
                                  incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
                                  2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,

                                  For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
                                  files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
                                  that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
                                  links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
                                  Check it out here:

                                  http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                                  convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

                                  In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
                                  advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
                                  one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
                                  incompatible formats!

                                  On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                                  > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                                  > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                                  > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                                  >
                                  > Geoff
                                • C. Dixon
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                                    If you think that is fun, wait till you see the Open Office "saves as Word" documents!

                                    Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                                    .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                                    but so much for cross-platform capability.

                                  • Jean Sparks
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                                      Hi,
                                      I cannot verify this myself as to it's effectiveness but Smalldog's
                                      Kibbles & Bytes Newsletter today had an article on it. They
                                      recommended Creative Tech with some work arounds. It seems easy
                                      enough but I must again say I have not tried it.

                                      http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                                      convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html

                                      Hope this helps,

                                      Jean

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 16, 2007
                                        Dear All

                                        Thanks for all the advice and helpful links. I contacted the sender
                                        who consulted their help desk and discovered that they now had Word
                                        2007 and that it has a different file format (when there's an
                                        institutional upgrade, I do wish the techies would tell the users of
                                        any potential 'hiccups'). They then saved in the former .doc format
                                        and re-sent the file to me. However, while we are on an off-topic
                                        issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                                        Geoff

                                        >On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                                        >
                                        >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows 2007
                                        >> .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                                        >> but so much for cross-platform capability.
                                        >
                                        >There is already a commercial converter:
                                        >http://www.panergy-software.com/buy/download.html
                                        >
                                        >And this free product will do a fair job:
                                        >
                                        >docx
                                        >http://docx-converter.com/

                                        >Randy B. Singer
                                        >Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (3rd, 4th, and 5th editions)
                                        >
                                        >Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                                        >http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

                                      • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                                          This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work for
                                          10.3.9

                                          mrobbins@... wrote:

                                          > Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                                          >
                                          > http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                                          >
                                          > Mike
                                          >
                                          > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                                          >
                                          >> Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                                          >> 2007 .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed
                                          >> soon, but so much for cross-platform capability.
                                          >>
                                          >> Geoff

                                          If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

                                          mailto:pjones@...

                                          <http://www.vpea.org>
                                        • Steve Kane
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                                            There are two products that allow running Dashboard Widgets with 10.3
                                            Panther.

                                            Amnesty Singles $10, or Amnesty Widget Browser $20

                                            <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/26627>
                                            <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/30328>

                                            On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:34 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

                                            > This works for 10.4.8 that uses dashboard widgets but does not work
                                            > for
                                            > 10.3.9
                                            >
                                            > mrobbins@... wrote:
                                            >>

                                            >> Take a look at this, it might be of help.
                                            >>
                                            >> http://docx-converter.com/ <http://docx-converter.com/>
                                          • Rick Albright
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 17, 2007
                                              Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                                              again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary? I don't know
                                              much about the technical details of the format (except that the files
                                              saved in that format are the OSX package files--that might be the
                                              wrong term, but I mean the ones with components that you can open if
                                              you control-click the file name). Mellel converted to that format
                                              last year, and one thing I noticed right away is that the files are
                                              much smaller than files in a format such as .doc or .rtf.
                                              Rick Albright
                                              On Feb 16, 2007, at 4:56 PM, James ARTHURS wrote:

                                              > Geoff: This seems to address the problem you refer to:
                                              > ------
                                              >
                                              > Office 2007 .DOCX Issues
                                              > by Ed@...
                                              >
                                              > A couple of months ago, Microsoft released Office 2007 for
                                              > Windows PCs. This new version of Office uses a new file
                                              > format called the "Microsoft Open Office XML Format." It's
                                              > extension is .docx. Unfortunately (typically?) this format is
                                              > incompatible with pervious versions of MS Word. Office
                                              > 2008 for Mac won't ship until the second half of this year,
                                              >
                                              > For now, you can ask people using Office 2007 to save their
                                              > files with the older .doc extension. If you don't want to do
                                              > that, or can't do that, Creative Techs has compiled a page of
                                              > links on their excellent blog, to help you open .docx files.
                                              > Check it out here:
                                              >
                                              > http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/
                                              > convert_ms_word_2007_docx_files_for_a_mac.html
                                              >
                                              > In all fairness, it does seem like the .docx format has some
                                              > advantages, and will be useful in the future. Remember, at
                                              > one point long ago, even .doc and .pdf were new fangled
                                              > incompatible formats!
                                              >
                                              > +---------------------------------------------------------+
                                              >
                                              > On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                                              >
                                              > > Happened today for the first time. I was sent a Word for Windows
                                              > 2007
                                              > > .docm file and I couldn't open it. I know that will be fixed soon,
                                              > > but so much for cross-platform capability.
                                              > >
                                              > > Geoff

                                              “We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.”
                                              --Edward R. Murrow

                                              Rick Albright
                                              logres@...
                                            • Tison Campbell
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                                I think that MS is going to offer (beta) support for Office 2004 soon
                                                and Neo Office (http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?
                                                name=News&file=article&sid=116), which is free, should have support
                                                by the end of the month.

                                                -Tison Campbell

                                              • Edward Mendelson
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                                  Every implementation of XML is slightly different. Even though the XML format is open, it
                                                  takes work (usually a *lot* of work) to write a converter from any one variety of XML to any
                                                  other format or to any other variety of XML. Word documents can contain an enormous
                                                  amount of information of many different kinds; the XML that stores it can get very complex.

                                                  Microsoft's XML is just as "open", just as well documented, as, say, OpenOffice's XML. It's a
                                                  non-trivial job to make converters for either of them. Neither one is "proprietary" but each is
                                                  unique.

                                                  This topic has been very widely discussed on the web. A ten-second Google search can
                                                  provide more detail than I've tried to offer here.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                                    On Feb 16, 2007, at 10:36 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:

                                                    > However, while we are on an off-topic
                                                    > issue, .docx I'd heard about, but this file was .docm.

                                                    That is simply a Word Microsoft Office Open XML format document with
                                                    "macros enabled". Essentially a .docx file with macros.

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 18, 2007
                                                      On Feb 17, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Rick Albright wrote:

                                                      > Isn't XML a fairly standard (and open) format? Or has Microsoft once
                                                      > again tweaked an open format to make it proprietary?

                                                      It is not exactly any of those. Microsoft has based its new document
                                                      format on XML, but it has extended it, and they have even included
                                                      Zip-like compression to the file format.

                                                      While the format was originally going to be proprietary, it is now an
                                                      ISO-certified open format and everyone has access to the
                                                      specifications, so theoretically any developer can create perfect
                                                      translators or use this file format in their product.
                                                      http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/HA102057841033.aspx

                                                      Microsoft's file format is in competition with the OpenDocument
                                                      format, another XML-based format, that IBM and others are pushing.
                                                      http://opendocumentfellowship.org/

                                                      While the OpenDocument format may never supplant the Microsoft docx
                                                      format, you can credit it with forcing Microsoft to open up their
                                                      format.