Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Cannot Install WP on OS8 Powerbook 190

Expand Messages
  • macdesperate
    Okay folks, I m stuck. I was given a PowerBook 190 with OS 8 and various software installed, but no text editor (other than Simpletext). I want to set this
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 17, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      Okay folks, I'm stuck. I was given a PowerBook 190 with OS 8 and
      various software installed, but no text editor (other than
      Simpletext). I want to set this machine up in my study area for dong
      reports, papers and the like. Installing WP3.5e seems the perfect
      solution. Trouble is, I cannot get any of the various downloads to
      install. Every single time, Data Viz FileView pops up and announces
      that it is an unknown type. It then displays an indecipherable mass
      of type, with "Apple" showing here and there.

      I do not know if this is a possible problem, but I am downloading the
      files to my XP machine, unstuffing them there and burning them to
      CD. I then use the reader attached to the 190 to read the files. It
      seems to work fine.

      I am almost totally ignorant of how Macs do things like install
      programs. I've seen references on this site to "installers", but
      none of the WP downloads appear to contain these tools. I've tried
      dragging files to the hard drive and double clicking on the files
      while they are still on the CD. I've tried changing the file
      extensions. Nothing works so far. Perhaps there is some simple
      thing, obvious to experienced Macsters, which I am neglecting to do?
    • John Kaufmann
      ... That won t work. Most Mac files have two forks - data and resource - and Windows will only recognize and convey the data fork. [Windows (and DOS) files
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 17, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        On 2007.01.17 17:01 macdesperate wrote:

        > I do not know if this is a possible problem, but I am downloading the
        > files to my XP machine, unstuffing them there and burning them to
        > CD. I then use the reader attached to the 190 to read the files.

        That won't work. Most Mac files have two forks - data and resource - and Windows will only recognize and convey the data fork. [Windows (and DOS) files have only a data fork.] So what your Mac sees are all corrupted files. Better to let the Mac do the unstuffing. Better yet, download to the Mac.

        > ... I've tried changing the file extensions. Nothing works so far.

        Another way in which "classic" Mac OS differs from Windows: file extensions don't matter. The Mac OS relies on Type and Creator codes to do that job. Because those codes are 4 characters each, for a total of 8 case-sensitive characters, they manage file associations with much more precision than 3-character case-insensitive file extensions.
        --
        John
      • macdesperate
        ... the ... resource - and Windows will only recognize and convey the data fork. [Windows (and DOS) files have only a data fork.] So what your Mac sees are
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 18, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...>
          wrote:
          >
          > On 2007.01.17 17:01 macdesperate wrote:
          >
          > > I do not know if this is a possible problem, but I am downloading
          the
          > > files to my XP machine, unstuffing them there and burning them to
          > > CD. I then use the reader attached to the 190 to read the files.
          >
          > That won't work. Most Mac files have two forks - data and
          resource - and Windows will only recognize and convey the data fork.
          [Windows (and DOS) files have only a data fork.] So what your Mac
          sees are all corrupted files. Better to let the Mac do the
          unstuffing. Better yet, download to the Mac.
          >
          > > ... I've tried changing the file extensions. Nothing works so
          far.
          >
          > Another way in which "classic" Mac OS differs from Windows: file
          extensions don't matter. The Mac OS relies on Type and Creator codes
          to do that job. Because those codes are 4 characters each, for a
          total of 8 case-sensitive characters, they manage file associations
          with much more precision than 3-character case-insensitive file
          extensions.
          > --
          > John
          >


          Bingo! I don't have an Internet connection for the Powerbook, but I
          found an ancient version of Expander deep in the hard drive. It was
          able to open the stuffed files from my XP burned CD just fine. The
          only one it couldn't handle was the .hqx that Previous Postions is
          in. WP is now installed and running great!

          Thank you so much John! I figured it was some fundamental aspect of
          Macishness that I was unaware of. If I may impose on you further,
          can you recommend any websites or other resources that I could use to
          obtain a good Mac education? Thanks again!


          -William
        • John Rethorst
          ... That s now fixed, and Previous Positions (sets session-specific bookmarks among all open documents) is now a .sit file, in the Files section here. Thanks
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 18, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "macdesperate" <macdesperate@...> wrote:

            > The only one it couldn't handle was the .hqx that Previous
            > Postions is in.

            That's now fixed, and Previous Positions (sets session-specific
            bookmarks among all open documents) is now a .sit file, in the
            Files section here. Thanks for the heads-up.

            > WP is now installed and running great!

            Welcome to the best computer club on the planet.

            > If I may impose on you further,
            > can you recommend any websites or other resources that I could
            > use to obtain a good Mac education? Thanks again!

            Impose on John K. all you like :-) but the Discussion Forums
            folder in the Links section here has several websites. The link to
            "Maintenance and troubleshooting (OS 7.5-9.2)" has a lot of info.
            I don't remember what the best books on legacy OS versions
            were (but should find out, since the SheepShaver configuration
            for Intel uses an actual legacy OS rather than the OSX Classic
            compatibility box). If anyone can suggest some titles, they'd
            be available at powells.com, abebooks.com, alibris.com or
            bookfinder.com.

            John R.
          • Steve Kane
            ... macfixit.com macintouch.com macworld.com For an old Mac like your PowerBook 190: lowendmac.com oldapps.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 18, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              On Jan 18, 2007, at 4:42 PM, macdesperate wrote:

              > can you recommend any websites or other resources that I could use to
              > obtain a good Mac education? Thanks again!

              macfixit.com
              macintouch.com
              macworld.com

              For an old Mac like your PowerBook 190:

              lowendmac.com
              oldapps.com
              <http://www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.legacy/index.html>
              <http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html>
              <http://www.info.apple.com/usen/legacy/>
              atpm.com
              hardcoremac.com
              apple-history.com
              A used copy of the book "The Macintosh Bible" from around 1996.

              Anyone know whatever happened to a web site called something like
              "Mac Jewels".
            • Doug Auwarter
              For OS 9 I loved David Pogue s Missing Manual. Doug ... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 18, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                For OS 9 I loved David Pogue's "Missing Manual."
                Doug

                On Jan 18, 2007, at 8:33 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

                > If anyone can suggest some titles, they'd
                > be available at powells.com, abebooks.com, alibris.com or
                > bookfinder.com.



                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Steve Kane
                ... Just curious. How are you printing from the PowerBook?
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 18, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Jan 17, 2007, at 4:01 PM, macdesperate wrote:

                  > Okay folks, I'm stuck. I was given a PowerBook 190 with OS 8 and
                  > various software installed, but no text editor (other than
                  > Simpletext). I want to set this machine up in my study area for dong
                  > reports, papers and the like.

                  Just curious. How are you printing from the PowerBook?
                • macdesperate
                  ... First: This IS a great group! I m impressed with the quality of the posts and responses; folks stay polite, helpful and on topic. Second: Thanks for
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 19, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kane <skane@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > On Jan 17, 2007, at 4:01 PM, macdesperate wrote:
                    >
                    > > Okay folks, I'm stuck. I was given a PowerBook 190 with OS 8 and
                    > > various software installed, but no text editor (other than
                    > > Simpletext). I want to set this machine up in my study area for
                    > > doing reports, papers and the like.
                    >
                    > Just curious. How are you printing from the PowerBook?
                    >


                    First: This IS a great group! I'm impressed with the quality of the
                    posts and responses; folks stay polite, helpful and on topic.

                    Second: Thanks for making Previous available as a .sit file.

                    Third: As I have not yet printed anything from my 190, Steve's
                    question is a good one! An ancient Apple printer of murky pedigree
                    is lurking in my attic and will receive my attention soon. In my
                    efforts to help along the installation of WP, I uncovered a few
                    diskettes which included the word "printer" on their label. Perhaps
                    they will prove useful. Failing that, I will most likely cobble
                    together some horrific kludge in an attempt to get the job done.


                    -William
                  • John Kaufmann
                    ... ... a reflection of the list founder/moderator.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 20, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On 2007.01.19 04:14 macdesperate wrote:

                      > First: This IS a great group! I'm impressed with the quality of the
                      > posts and responses; folks stay polite, helpful and on topic...

                      ... a reflection of the list founder/moderator.
                    • John Rethorst
                      ... Thank you, but it s all of us that make this a good group. Of course, the world s best word processing program makes for a good start . . . John R.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 21, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <kaufmann@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > On 2007.01.19 04:14 macdesperate wrote:
                        >
                        > > First: This IS a great group! I'm impressed with the quality of the
                        > > posts and responses; folks stay polite, helpful and on topic...
                        >
                        > ... a reflection of the list founder/moderator.

                        Thank you, but it's all of us that make this a good group. Of course,
                        the world's best word processing program makes for a good start . . .

                        John R.
                      • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
                        ... I couldn t agree more about John R s superb leadership. Tom
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 21, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          > Re: Cannot Install WP on OS8 Powerbook 190
                          > Posted by: "John Kaufmann" kaufmann@... j0kaufmann
                          > Date: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:29 pm ((PST))
                          >
                          > On 2007.01.19 04:14 macdesperate wrote:
                          >
                          >> > First: This IS a great group! I'm impressed with the quality of the
                          >> > posts and responses; folks stay polite, helpful and on topic...
                          >
                          > ... a reflection of the list founder/moderator.


                          I couldn't agree more about John R's superb leadership.

                          Tom
                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.