On using the Documents folder with SheepShaver

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2007
      Over at the emaculation forum, some people have expressed
      hesitation at setting SheepShaver's unix root as the OSX
      Documents folder, since that directory is then accessed by
      two different OS's at one time. The OS that SheepShaver
      uses also doesn't know anything about OSX permissions
      etc.

      When I built the SS/WP configuration that's now posted for
      download, I tested it extensively for more than a month,
      with the root as the Documents folder most of the time. I
      noticed no anomalies other than the quirks of a Trash
      folder and Desktop folder within the Documents folder.
      SheepShaver documentation says not to set its unix root to
      the OSX root (startup disk) or Home folders, but makes no
      mention of other folders.

      When designing the configuration, I opted for a large disk
      image size (500mb) thinking that some people would rather
      keep WP files on the SheepShaver image rather than in an
      OSX directory. As shipped, there is only 150mb of that
      500mb free, but there's 100mb of clip art on the image,
      plus other files that aren't required for complete operation
      of WordPerfect. Including conversions, a functional copy of
      WP weighs in at less than 10mb. The system folder on the
      image is 100mb, but that can be pared down quite a bit as
      well.

      So the image size and possible free space makes keeping
      files on the image, and transferring them to OSX as
      necessary through a separate, dedicated folder rather than
      the Documents folder, a viable and easy option. I've been
      keeping files in the Documents folder with, as I say, no
      problems, but I'll pass along any more concerns I hear
      about.