Re: [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install

  • thomasbriant
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 9, 2007
      John and company:

      First, this is absolutely brilliant!

      Second, you really need a faster server. I downloaded it here in
      Los Angeles in about 3 hours.

      Third, My problem. I had to set my UNIX root to "Users". Trying
      to set it to the Documents folder in my home directory, as per
      your instructions, meant SheepshaverGUI stopped
      responding and NO UNIX ICON IN SHEEPSHAVER!

      So I set the UNIX root to "Users". I could only access my Shared
      folder. So I moved the SheepShaver Print folder to the Shared folder.

      I successsfully printed and saved PDF documents from this new location.

      Anyone encounter this problem, too?

      Tom Briant

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 12, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "thomasbriant" <thomasfish@...> wrote:

        > Third, My problem. I had to set my UNIX root to "Users". Trying
        > to set it to the Documents folder in my home directory, as per
        > your instructions, meant SheepshaverGUI stopped
        > responding and NO UNIX ICON IN SHEEPSHAVER!
        >
        > So I set the UNIX root to "Users". I could only access my Shared
        > folder. So I moved the SheepShaver Print folder to the Shared folder.
        >
        > I successsfully printed and saved PDF documents from this new location.

        How large is your Documents folder, and how much memory have you
        given SheepShaver? At my setting of 256mb, it works fine with the
        Documents folder on one machine, which is 420mb, but has trouble
        showing all of the Documents folder on another machine, which is
        about 1.5gb.

        Your solution sounds fine except that if you open the Unix/Users
        directory and go into subfolders until you get to the Documents folder,
        you may have the same memory issues.

        Another solution is what I think many people do anyway, partition
        their Documents folder into worksets or interest areas, one of which
        includes word processing documents. If you set the Unix root to that
        subfolder of the Documents folder, it might be of a size that a 256mb
        memory setting could handle. Or try increasing SheepShaver's memory.

        John R.
      • Thomas Briant
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 12, 2007
          On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:52 PM, John Rethorst wrote:
          John:

          SUCCESS!

          My /Users/myname/Documents folder came in at 3.5 Gb. So I added an
          empty folder within it specifically for Wordperfect for Mac and
          restarted Sheepshaver. SUCCESS! I got a UNIX icon on my desktop
          pointing to the folder I set up within it.

          My next question concerns distribution. As the editor of the
          MacValley Voice here in Northridge, CA; I intend to write about your
          project for our newsletter. If someone asks me for a copy of the
          files because they are on dial-up, can I give them a free CD? I would
          tell them to join the group on-line, because you're the experts.

          Tom Briant

          I also moved the Sheepshaver Printer Folder back to this new folder
          and it worked perfectly.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 12, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Briant <thomasfish@...> wrote:

            > My /Users/myname/Documents folder came in at 3.5 Gb. So I added an
            > empty folder within it specifically for Wordperfect for Mac and
            > restarted Sheepshaver. SUCCESS! I got a UNIX icon on my desktop
            > pointing to the folder I set up within it.

            > I also moved the Sheepshaver Printer Folder back to this new folder
            > and it worked perfectly.

            Installation is actually not difficult at all, if you keep this in mind. Maybe
            I shouldn't have pointed SheepShaver to the user's Documents folder by
            default since, with hard drives on the order of 100 gb these days, it's
            easy for the Documents folder to get big.

            > My next question concerns distribution. As the editor of the
            > MacValley Voice here in Northridge, CA; I intend to write about your
            > project for our newsletter. If someone asks me for a copy of the
            > files because they are on dial-up, can I give them a free CD? I would
            > tell them to join the group on-line, because you're the experts.

            Sure.

            John R.
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 12, 2007
              John,

              Is it possible to write an AppleScript that would automatically
              generate the correct ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file instead of making
              the user generate it? It seems as if it shouldn't be
              difficult, but maybe I'm just guessing...

              Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                > Is it possible to write an AppleScript that would automatically
                > generate the correct ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file instead of making
                > the user generate it? It seems as if it shouldn't be
                > difficult, but maybe I'm just guessing...

                It shouldn't, nor should it be difficult to do more than that, such
                as putting the components in better places. On my machine, I've
                moved them to:

                SheepShaver Applications folder
                volume /Users/Shared
                ROM /Library/Application Support/SheepShaver
                keycodes /Library/Application Support/SheepShaver
                folder action script /Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts
                Spotlight importer /Library/Spotlight

                In these places, any user can use it, without going through the
                process of quitting Classic before switching users.

                I would have had the installer do this but I'm behind on updating
                my scripting ability for OSX, and don't know how to bypass
                permissions issues. If the user is installing from an admin account
                and wants to run from that account, that's fine. Otherwise, if the
                user is installing from a user account, the installer needs to write
                to places not normally accessible from that account.

                John R.
              • Paul Cowan
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2007
                  I should have posted something earlier about my own success with the
                  installer. It would have worked fine, except that I made a mistake and
                  cancelled out at one point, then found that re-running the macro (a)
                  produced duplicate files and (b) did not get me back to the
                  configuration thingy. Also, at first the startup wouldn't switch from
                  CD-ROM to Any, but SheepShaver started nevertheless. After that the
                  dropdown list did work.

                  Anyway, having sorted all that out, I'm happy to report that it's
                  running, and very fast at that, on a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz with 3 GB of
                  RAM. Under Mac OS 8.5.

                  Now all I need to do is migrate my preferences, macros, TypeIt4Me etc etc.

                  Thanks heaps, John !

                  P. (^_^)