Re: [wpmac] [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
      Dear John

      First, thanks and congratulations.

      Using Firefox, the download from over here on BT broadband was two
      hours, but I did it overnight. Given that I only have a PPC Mac at
      present, I'm not planning to install it, but just looking at the
      documentation, a few questions emerge. I have a heavily configured
      keyboard - that is part of the WP Preferences in the System Folder.
      Will that come across. Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
      rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
      disk?

      Thanks again

      Geoff
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
        No. SheepShaver is a completely separate Macintosh computer that
        happens to be running inside your physical computer. You'll have to
        copy your prefs from your physical computer into SheepShaver (using
        the folder that they both have access to).

        > Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
        > rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
        > disk?
      • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
          Is it possible to upload the file (with cooperation of a Third party
          such as a University with a high speed connection T1/T5 on there end.

          The problem is not the speed of what you can download, so much as Many
          services still live in the dark ages and use banks of 56K modems for
          their servers.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
            Correct, and I'm sorry I didn't include this in the docs. Copy your
            [OS 9] System Folder > Preferences > WordPerfect folder into the
            Preferences folder of SheepShaver's System Folder, replacing
            (WordPerfect should not be running when you do this).

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
              It's possible to upload the file anywhere you want. A member of this
              group has volunteered to host the file. His server may be faster. I'll
              update the link once I get word that it's there.

              John R.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                Dear Ed and John

                Thanks for this. It's beginning to make sense. That word UNIX always
                did cause me to come over in a cold sweat!

                Geoff

                >Correct, and I'm sorry I didn't include this in the docs. Copy your
                >[OS 9] System Folder > Preferences > WordPerfect folder into the
                >Preferences folder of SheepShaver's System Folder, replacing
                >(WordPerfect should not be running when you do this).
                >

                >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson"
                ><emendelson@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> No. SheepShaver is a completely separate Macintosh computer that
                >> happens to be running inside your physical computer. You'll have to
                >> copy your prefs from your physical computer into SheepShaver (using
                >> the folder that they both have access to).
                >>
                >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@> wrote:
                >>
                >> > Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
                >> > rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
                >> > disk?
                >>

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
                  And after doing this, you may need to go to Edit - Preferences - Folders
                  and change the settings, if any, because the original folder locations
                  presumably won't work in the new system