Re: [wpmac] [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Cydne <chinamartine@...> wrote:

      > I'm on cable and it just told me that download would take 43+ hours!
      > Needless to say, I didn't even start.

      Start, and watch the estimated time. In a minute or two, the estimate drops
      by 70 or 80 percent. In another minute or two, it's dropped that much again.

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
        John,

        This is a brilliant achievement. Many congratulations. I'm
        running it on a PPC Mac, where, as you say, it doesn't work
        very well, but I look forward to trying it on an Intel
        machine someday.

        Two suggestions for minor changes:

        1. There's a Cocoa app out there now called
        SheepShaverPrefs. It's a lot more Mac-like than
        SheepShaverGUI and has only three tabs. Perhaps it might be
        worth using that instead?

        2. In the instructions, you say that when you first print,
        you'll see the Print Dialog, and you say to press OK. When
        I did this, there was no OK button, but there was a Save
        button, which seemed to be what you had in mind.

        3. For those of us purists who would prefer the traditional
        "Mac OS 9.x" startup logo, exactly how would we replace the
        SheepShaver logo that you inserted? I assume this is done
        with a resource editor, but I'm too ignorant of OS 9
        procedures to know exactly how to do it. (My guess is that
        I would have to boot into another disk and make the change
        in your SheepShaver disk?)

        Congratulations again on this!

        Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > This is a brilliant achievement. Many congratulations. I'm
          > running it on a PPC Mac, where, as you say, it doesn't work
          > very well, but I look forward to trying it on an Intel
          > machine someday.

          Ed, thank _you_ for the printing design. I would probably not
          have thought of the Adobe PS driver going to a folder action;
          SheepShaver has no direction connection to USB, and the
          configuration prints as fast as Classic, and makes PDF files
          just as conveniently as OSX.

          > Two suggestions for minor changes:
          >
          > 1. There's a Cocoa app out there now called
          > SheepShaverPrefs. It's a lot more Mac-like than
          > SheepShaverGUI and has only three tabs. Perhaps it might be
          > worth using that instead?

          I've looked at it - looks very nice - and put a link to it in the
          SheepShaver folder in the Links section here. But I didn't have
          time to test it, wanting to get this thing out the door before
          too many folks bought Intel and migrated to the dark side. It
          has a better interface than SheepShaverGUI though, as you
          say, and doesn't have much work to do so it shouldn't
          present any problems.

          > 2. In the instructions, you say that when you first print,
          > you'll see the Print Dialog, and you say to press OK. When
          > I did this, there was no OK button, but there was a Save
          > button, which seemed to be what you had in mind.

          My mistake. BTW the location of the Print folder will stick
          in the second dialog across restarts if you 1) go to
          WordPerfect options in the Page Setup dialog and click
          Save As Default and 2) in the Print dialog, click the Save
          Settings button.

          > 3. For those of us purists who would prefer the traditional
          > "Mac OS 9.x" startup logo, exactly how would we replace the
          > SheepShaver logo that you inserted? I assume this is done
          > with a resource editor, but I'm too ignorant of OS 9
          > procedures to know exactly how to do it. (My guess is that
          > I would have to boot into another disk and make the change
          > in your SheepShaver disk?)

          Correct, using the resource editor to change PICT resources
          in the system file.

          > Congratulations again on this!

          You're most welcome.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
            Dear John

            First, thanks and congratulations.

            Using Firefox, the download from over here on BT broadband was two
            hours, but I did it overnight. Given that I only have a PPC Mac at
            present, I'm not planning to install it, but just looking at the
            documentation, a few questions emerge. I have a heavily configured
            keyboard - that is part of the WP Preferences in the System Folder.
            Will that come across. Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
            rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
            disk?

            Thanks again

            Geoff
          • Douglas Bouley
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
              Not so for me. The site has not been able to manage better than 5-7 kb/s
              download rate. That is vastly slower than any place else I've tried this
              morning. Also, there were multiple errors and timeouts requiring several
              restarts to even get to the current very slow rate. I believe it is
              something on the server end, since other sites are working normally for me.

              Not that I somehow hold you responsible! :-^ What you have done for us
              is quite wonderful. I can spare the time for the download.

              Thanks very much, John.

              Douglas

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                No. SheepShaver is a completely separate Macintosh computer that
                happens to be running inside your physical computer. You'll have to
                copy your prefs from your physical computer into SheepShaver (using
                the folder that they both have access to).

                > Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
                > rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
                > disk?
              • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                  Is it possible to upload the file (with cooperation of a Third party
                  such as a University with a high speed connection T1/T5 on there end.

                  The problem is not the speed of what you can download, so much as Many
                  services still live in the dark ages and use banks of 56K modems for
                  their servers.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                    Correct, and I'm sorry I didn't include this in the docs. Copy your
                    [OS 9] System Folder > Preferences > WordPerfect folder into the
                    Preferences folder of SheepShaver's System Folder, replacing
                    (WordPerfect should not be running when you do this).

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                      It's possible to upload the file anywhere you want. A member of this
                      group has volunteered to host the file. His server may be faster. I'll
                      update the link once I get word that it's there.

                      John R.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                        Dear Ed and John

                        Thanks for this. It's beginning to make sense. That word UNIX always
                        did cause me to come over in a cold sweat!

                        Geoff

                        >Correct, and I'm sorry I didn't include this in the docs. Copy your
                        >[OS 9] System Folder > Preferences > WordPerfect folder into the
                        >Preferences folder of SheepShaver's System Folder, replacing
                        >(WordPerfect should not be running when you do this).
                        >

                        >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson"
                        ><emendelson@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> No. SheepShaver is a completely separate Macintosh computer that
                        >> happens to be running inside your physical computer. You'll have to
                        >> copy your prefs from your physical computer into SheepShaver (using
                        >> the folder that they both have access to).
                        >>
                        >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> > Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
                        >> > rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
                        >> > disk?
                        >>

                        >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Edward Mendelson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
                          And after doing this, you may need to go to Edit - Preferences - Folders
                          and change the settings, if any, because the original folder locations
                          presumably won't work in the new system