Re: [wpmac] [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install

  • Cydne
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
      I'm on cable and it just told me that download would take 43+ hours!
      Needless to say, I didn't even start.

      Cydne

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Cydne <chinamartine@...> wrote:

        > I'm on cable and it just told me that download would take 43+ hours!
        > Needless to say, I didn't even start.

        Start, and watch the estimated time. In a minute or two, the estimate drops
        by 70 or 80 percent. In another minute or two, it's dropped that much again.

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
          John,

          This is a brilliant achievement. Many congratulations. I'm
          running it on a PPC Mac, where, as you say, it doesn't work
          very well, but I look forward to trying it on an Intel
          machine someday.

          Two suggestions for minor changes:

          1. There's a Cocoa app out there now called
          SheepShaverPrefs. It's a lot more Mac-like than
          SheepShaverGUI and has only three tabs. Perhaps it might be
          worth using that instead?

          2. In the instructions, you say that when you first print,
          you'll see the Print Dialog, and you say to press OK. When
          I did this, there was no OK button, but there was a Save
          button, which seemed to be what you had in mind.

          3. For those of us purists who would prefer the traditional
          "Mac OS 9.x" startup logo, exactly how would we replace the
          SheepShaver logo that you inserted? I assume this is done
          with a resource editor, but I'm too ignorant of OS 9
          procedures to know exactly how to do it. (My guess is that
          I would have to boot into another disk and make the change
          in your SheepShaver disk?)

          Congratulations again on this!

          Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > This is a brilliant achievement. Many congratulations. I'm
            > running it on a PPC Mac, where, as you say, it doesn't work
            > very well, but I look forward to trying it on an Intel
            > machine someday.

            Ed, thank _you_ for the printing design. I would probably not
            have thought of the Adobe PS driver going to a folder action;
            SheepShaver has no direction connection to USB, and the
            configuration prints as fast as Classic, and makes PDF files
            just as conveniently as OSX.

            > Two suggestions for minor changes:
            >
            > 1. There's a Cocoa app out there now called
            > SheepShaverPrefs. It's a lot more Mac-like than
            > SheepShaverGUI and has only three tabs. Perhaps it might be
            > worth using that instead?

            I've looked at it - looks very nice - and put a link to it in the
            SheepShaver folder in the Links section here. But I didn't have
            time to test it, wanting to get this thing out the door before
            too many folks bought Intel and migrated to the dark side. It
            has a better interface than SheepShaverGUI though, as you
            say, and doesn't have much work to do so it shouldn't
            present any problems.

            > 2. In the instructions, you say that when you first print,
            > you'll see the Print Dialog, and you say to press OK. When
            > I did this, there was no OK button, but there was a Save
            > button, which seemed to be what you had in mind.

            My mistake. BTW the location of the Print folder will stick
            in the second dialog across restarts if you 1) go to
            WordPerfect options in the Page Setup dialog and click
            Save As Default and 2) in the Print dialog, click the Save
            Settings button.

            > 3. For those of us purists who would prefer the traditional
            > "Mac OS 9.x" startup logo, exactly how would we replace the
            > SheepShaver logo that you inserted? I assume this is done
            > with a resource editor, but I'm too ignorant of OS 9
            > procedures to know exactly how to do it. (My guess is that
            > I would have to boot into another disk and make the change
            > in your SheepShaver disk?)

            Correct, using the resource editor to change PICT resources
            in the system file.

            > Congratulations again on this!

            You're most welcome.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
              Dear John

              First, thanks and congratulations.

              Using Firefox, the download from over here on BT broadband was two
              hours, but I did it overnight. Given that I only have a PPC Mac at
              present, I'm not planning to install it, but just looking at the
              documentation, a few questions emerge. I have a heavily configured
              keyboard - that is part of the WP Preferences in the System Folder.
              Will that come across. Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
              rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
              disk?

              Thanks again

              Geoff
            • Douglas Bouley
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                Not so for me. The site has not been able to manage better than 5-7 kb/s
                download rate. That is vastly slower than any place else I've tried this
                morning. Also, there were multiple errors and timeouts requiring several
                restarts to even get to the current very slow rate. I believe it is
                something on the server end, since other sites are working normally for me.

                Not that I somehow hold you responsible! :-^ What you have done for us
                is quite wonderful. I can spare the time for the download.

                Thanks very much, John.

                Douglas

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                  No. SheepShaver is a completely separate Macintosh computer that
                  happens to be running inside your physical computer. You'll have to
                  copy your prefs from your physical computer into SheepShaver (using
                  the folder that they both have access to).

                  > Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
                  > rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
                  > disk?
                • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                    Is it possible to upload the file (with cooperation of a Third party
                    such as a University with a high speed connection T1/T5 on there end.

                    The problem is not the speed of what you can download, so much as Many
                    services still live in the dark ages and use banks of 56K modems for
                    their servers.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                      Correct, and I'm sorry I didn't include this in the docs. Copy your
                      [OS 9] System Folder > Preferences > WordPerfect folder into the
                      Preferences folder of SheepShaver's System Folder, replacing
                      (WordPerfect should not be running when you do this).

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                        It's possible to upload the file anywhere you want. A member of this
                        group has volunteered to host the file. His server may be faster. I'll
                        update the link once I get word that it's there.

                        John R.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                          Dear Ed and John

                          Thanks for this. It's beginning to make sense. That word UNIX always
                          did cause me to come over in a cold sweat!

                          Geoff

                          >Correct, and I'm sorry I didn't include this in the docs. Copy your
                          >[OS 9] System Folder > Preferences > WordPerfect folder into the
                          >Preferences folder of SheepShaver's System Folder, replacing
                          >(WordPerfect should not be running when you do this).
                          >

                          >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson"
                          ><emendelson@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> No. SheepShaver is a completely separate Macintosh computer that
                          >> happens to be running inside your physical computer. You'll have to
                          >> copy your prefs from your physical computer into SheepShaver (using
                          >> the folder that they both have access to).
                          >>
                          >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> > Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
                          >> > rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
                          >> > disk?
                          >>

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Edward Mendelson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
                            And after doing this, you may need to go to Edit - Preferences - Folders
                            and change the settings, if any, because the original folder locations
                            presumably won't work in the new system