Re: [wpmac] [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8 5:53 PM
      Link in the Links section here, in the SheepShaver and Basilisk
      folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install".

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Boothe <taboothe@...> wrote:

      > Where can we download the file?
      >
      > Tommy
      >

      > On Jan 8, 2007, at 10:18 AM, John Rethorst wrote:
      >
      > > Complete setup to run WP on Intel Macs. Download, double-click,
      > > and follow the Install Read Me instructions.
      > >
      > > Your OSX documents are available through the Unix disk icon on
      > > the SheepShaver desktop. As configured per the Install Read Me,
      > > this disk icon shows the contents of your OSX Documents folder
      > > of your Home folder. You can change the Unix disk assignment
      > > by quitting SheepShaver, starting SheepShaverGUI, setting the
      > > Unix Root path as you wish, and clicking Start.
      > >
      > > Wherever you've made the Unix assignment, you can open and
      > > save WP files in that location. If you drag files from the Unix disk
      > > to the SheepShaver desktop, you're not actually copying them to
      > > the SheepShaver disk, only to a desktop folder of their current
      > > (i.e. OSX) disk, where they will be found in a Desktop folder. If
      > > you drag items from Unix to the SheepShaver disk icon or its
      > > window, that copies them to the SheepShaver disk.
      > >
      > > If you need more room on the SheepShaver disk image, note that
      > > it contains about 100 mb of clip art, in the Extras folder.
      > >
      > > This runs on PPC Macs too, but not as well.
      > >
      > > Link in the Links section here, in the SheepShaver and Basilisk
      > > folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install".
      > >
      > > Enjoy,
      > > John R.
    • thomasbriant
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 9 8:24 AM
        John and company:

        First, this is absolutely brilliant!

        Second, you really need a faster server. I downloaded it here in
        Los Angeles in about 3 hours.

        Third, My problem. I had to set my UNIX root to "Users". Trying
        to set it to the Documents folder in my home directory, as per
        your instructions, meant SheepshaverGUI stopped
        responding and NO UNIX ICON IN SHEEPSHAVER!

        So I set the UNIX root to "Users". I could only access my Shared
        folder. So I moved the SheepShaver Print folder to the Shared folder.

        I successsfully printed and saved PDF documents from this new location.

        Anyone encounter this problem, too?

        Tom Briant

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 12 1:52 PM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "thomasbriant" <thomasfish@...> wrote:

          > Third, My problem. I had to set my UNIX root to "Users". Trying
          > to set it to the Documents folder in my home directory, as per
          > your instructions, meant SheepshaverGUI stopped
          > responding and NO UNIX ICON IN SHEEPSHAVER!
          >
          > So I set the UNIX root to "Users". I could only access my Shared
          > folder. So I moved the SheepShaver Print folder to the Shared folder.
          >
          > I successsfully printed and saved PDF documents from this new location.

          How large is your Documents folder, and how much memory have you
          given SheepShaver? At my setting of 256mb, it works fine with the
          Documents folder on one machine, which is 420mb, but has trouble
          showing all of the Documents folder on another machine, which is
          about 1.5gb.

          Your solution sounds fine except that if you open the Unix/Users
          directory and go into subfolders until you get to the Documents folder,
          you may have the same memory issues.

          Another solution is what I think many people do anyway, partition
          their Documents folder into worksets or interest areas, one of which
          includes word processing documents. If you set the Unix root to that
          subfolder of the Documents folder, it might be of a size that a 256mb
          memory setting could handle. Or try increasing SheepShaver's memory.

          John R.
        • Thomas Briant
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 12 2:26 PM
            On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:52 PM, John Rethorst wrote:
            John:

            SUCCESS!

            My /Users/myname/Documents folder came in at 3.5 Gb. So I added an
            empty folder within it specifically for Wordperfect for Mac and
            restarted Sheepshaver. SUCCESS! I got a UNIX icon on my desktop
            pointing to the folder I set up within it.

            My next question concerns distribution. As the editor of the
            MacValley Voice here in Northridge, CA; I intend to write about your
            project for our newsletter. If someone asks me for a copy of the
            files because they are on dial-up, can I give them a free CD? I would
            tell them to join the group on-line, because you're the experts.

            Tom Briant

            I also moved the Sheepshaver Printer Folder back to this new folder
            and it worked perfectly.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 12 3:33 PM
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Briant <thomasfish@...> wrote:

              > My /Users/myname/Documents folder came in at 3.5 Gb. So I added an
              > empty folder within it specifically for Wordperfect for Mac and
              > restarted Sheepshaver. SUCCESS! I got a UNIX icon on my desktop
              > pointing to the folder I set up within it.

              > I also moved the Sheepshaver Printer Folder back to this new folder
              > and it worked perfectly.

              Installation is actually not difficult at all, if you keep this in mind. Maybe
              I shouldn't have pointed SheepShaver to the user's Documents folder by
              default since, with hard drives on the order of 100 gb these days, it's
              easy for the Documents folder to get big.

              > My next question concerns distribution. As the editor of the
              > MacValley Voice here in Northridge, CA; I intend to write about your
              > project for our newsletter. If someone asks me for a copy of the
              > files because they are on dial-up, can I give them a free CD? I would
              > tell them to join the group on-line, because you're the experts.

              Sure.

              John R.
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 12 4:26 PM
                John,

                Is it possible to write an AppleScript that would automatically
                generate the correct ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file instead of making
                the user generate it? It seems as if it shouldn't be
                difficult, but maybe I'm just guessing...

                Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 13 9:39 AM
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                  > Is it possible to write an AppleScript that would automatically
                  > generate the correct ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file instead of making
                  > the user generate it? It seems as if it shouldn't be
                  > difficult, but maybe I'm just guessing...

                  It shouldn't, nor should it be difficult to do more than that, such
                  as putting the components in better places. On my machine, I've
                  moved them to:

                  SheepShaver Applications folder
                  volume /Users/Shared
                  ROM /Library/Application Support/SheepShaver
                  keycodes /Library/Application Support/SheepShaver
                  folder action script /Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts
                  Spotlight importer /Library/Spotlight

                  In these places, any user can use it, without going through the
                  process of quitting Classic before switching users.

                  I would have had the installer do this but I'm behind on updating
                  my scripting ability for OSX, and don't know how to bypass
                  permissions issues. If the user is installing from an admin account
                  and wants to run from that account, that's fine. Otherwise, if the
                  user is installing from a user account, the installer needs to write
                  to places not normally accessible from that account.

                  John R.
                • Paul Cowan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 14 10:25 AM
                    I should have posted something earlier about my own success with the
                    installer. It would have worked fine, except that I made a mistake and
                    cancelled out at one point, then found that re-running the macro (a)
                    produced duplicate files and (b) did not get me back to the
                    configuration thingy. Also, at first the startup wouldn't switch from
                    CD-ROM to Any, but SheepShaver started nevertheless. After that the
                    dropdown list did work.

                    Anyway, having sorted all that out, I'm happy to report that it's
                    running, and very fast at that, on a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz with 3 GB of
                    RAM. Under Mac OS 8.5.

                    Now all I need to do is migrate my preferences, macros, TypeIt4Me etc etc.

                    Thanks heaps, John !

                    P. (^_^)