Re: [wpmac] [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install

  • Tommy Boothe
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007
      Where can we download the file?

      Tommy

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 8, 2007

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Tommy Boothe <taboothe@...> wrote:

        > Where can we download the file?
        >
        > Tommy
        >

        > On Jan 8, 2007, at 10:18 AM, John Rethorst wrote:
        >
        > > Complete setup to run WP on Intel Macs. Download, double-click,
        > > and follow the Install Read Me instructions.
        > >
        > > Your OSX documents are available through the Unix disk icon on
        > > the SheepShaver desktop. As configured per the Install Read Me,
        > > this disk icon shows the contents of your OSX Documents folder
        > > of your Home folder. You can change the Unix disk assignment
        > > by quitting SheepShaver, starting SheepShaverGUI, setting the
        > > Unix Root path as you wish, and clicking Start.
        > >
        > > Wherever you've made the Unix assignment, you can open and
        > > save WP files in that location. If you drag files from the Unix disk
        > > to the SheepShaver desktop, you're not actually copying them to
        > > the SheepShaver disk, only to a desktop folder of their current
        > > (i.e. OSX) disk, where they will be found in a Desktop folder. If
        > > you drag items from Unix to the SheepShaver disk icon or its
        > > window, that copies them to the SheepShaver disk.
        > >
        > > If you need more room on the SheepShaver disk image, note that
        > > it contains about 100 mb of clip art, in the Extras folder.
        > >
        > > This runs on PPC Macs too, but not as well.
        > >
        > > Link in the Links section here, in the SheepShaver and Basilisk
        > > folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install".
        > >
        > > Enjoy,
        > > John R.
      • thomasbriant
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 9, 2007
          John and company:

          First, this is absolutely brilliant!

          Second, you really need a faster server. I downloaded it here in
          Los Angeles in about 3 hours.

          Third, My problem. I had to set my UNIX root to "Users". Trying
          to set it to the Documents folder in my home directory, as per
          your instructions, meant SheepshaverGUI stopped
          responding and NO UNIX ICON IN SHEEPSHAVER!

          So I set the UNIX root to "Users". I could only access my Shared
          folder. So I moved the SheepShaver Print folder to the Shared folder.

          I successsfully printed and saved PDF documents from this new location.

          Anyone encounter this problem, too?

          Tom Briant

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 12, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "thomasbriant" <thomasfish@...> wrote:

            > Third, My problem. I had to set my UNIX root to "Users". Trying
            > to set it to the Documents folder in my home directory, as per
            > your instructions, meant SheepshaverGUI stopped
            > responding and NO UNIX ICON IN SHEEPSHAVER!
            >
            > So I set the UNIX root to "Users". I could only access my Shared
            > folder. So I moved the SheepShaver Print folder to the Shared folder.
            >
            > I successsfully printed and saved PDF documents from this new location.

            How large is your Documents folder, and how much memory have you
            given SheepShaver? At my setting of 256mb, it works fine with the
            Documents folder on one machine, which is 420mb, but has trouble
            showing all of the Documents folder on another machine, which is
            about 1.5gb.

            Your solution sounds fine except that if you open the Unix/Users
            directory and go into subfolders until you get to the Documents folder,
            you may have the same memory issues.

            Another solution is what I think many people do anyway, partition
            their Documents folder into worksets or interest areas, one of which
            includes word processing documents. If you set the Unix root to that
            subfolder of the Documents folder, it might be of a size that a 256mb
            memory setting could handle. Or try increasing SheepShaver's memory.

            John R.
          • Thomas Briant
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 12, 2007
              On Jan 12, 2007, at 1:52 PM, John Rethorst wrote:
              John:

              SUCCESS!

              My /Users/myname/Documents folder came in at 3.5 Gb. So I added an
              empty folder within it specifically for Wordperfect for Mac and
              restarted Sheepshaver. SUCCESS! I got a UNIX icon on my desktop
              pointing to the folder I set up within it.

              My next question concerns distribution. As the editor of the
              MacValley Voice here in Northridge, CA; I intend to write about your
              project for our newsletter. If someone asks me for a copy of the
              files because they are on dial-up, can I give them a free CD? I would
              tell them to join the group on-line, because you're the experts.

              Tom Briant

              I also moved the Sheepshaver Printer Folder back to this new folder
              and it worked perfectly.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 12, 2007
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Briant <thomasfish@...> wrote:

                > My /Users/myname/Documents folder came in at 3.5 Gb. So I added an
                > empty folder within it specifically for Wordperfect for Mac and
                > restarted Sheepshaver. SUCCESS! I got a UNIX icon on my desktop
                > pointing to the folder I set up within it.

                > I also moved the Sheepshaver Printer Folder back to this new folder
                > and it worked perfectly.

                Installation is actually not difficult at all, if you keep this in mind. Maybe
                I shouldn't have pointed SheepShaver to the user's Documents folder by
                default since, with hard drives on the order of 100 gb these days, it's
                easy for the Documents folder to get big.

                > My next question concerns distribution. As the editor of the
                > MacValley Voice here in Northridge, CA; I intend to write about your
                > project for our newsletter. If someone asks me for a copy of the
                > files because they are on dial-up, can I give them a free CD? I would
                > tell them to join the group on-line, because you're the experts.

                Sure.

                John R.
              • Edward Mendelson
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 12, 2007
                  John,

                  Is it possible to write an AppleScript that would automatically
                  generate the correct ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file instead of making
                  the user generate it? It seems as if it shouldn't be
                  difficult, but maybe I'm just guessing...

                  Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 13, 2007
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                    > Is it possible to write an AppleScript that would automatically
                    > generate the correct ~/.sheepshaver_prefs file instead of making
                    > the user generate it? It seems as if it shouldn't be
                    > difficult, but maybe I'm just guessing...

                    It shouldn't, nor should it be difficult to do more than that, such
                    as putting the components in better places. On my machine, I've
                    moved them to:

                    SheepShaver Applications folder
                    volume /Users/Shared
                    ROM /Library/Application Support/SheepShaver
                    keycodes /Library/Application Support/SheepShaver
                    folder action script /Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts
                    Spotlight importer /Library/Spotlight

                    In these places, any user can use it, without going through the
                    process of quitting Classic before switching users.

                    I would have had the installer do this but I'm behind on updating
                    my scripting ability for OSX, and don't know how to bypass
                    permissions issues. If the user is installing from an admin account
                    and wants to run from that account, that's fine. Otherwise, if the
                    user is installing from a user account, the installer needs to write
                    to places not normally accessible from that account.

                    John R.
                  • Paul Cowan
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 14, 2007
                      I should have posted something earlier about my own success with the
                      installer. It would have worked fine, except that I made a mistake and
                      cancelled out at one point, then found that re-running the macro (a)
                      produced duplicate files and (b) did not get me back to the
                      configuration thingy. Also, at first the startup wouldn't switch from
                      CD-ROM to Any, but SheepShaver started nevertheless. After that the
                      dropdown list did work.

                      Anyway, having sorted all that out, I'm happy to report that it's
                      running, and very fast at that, on a Mac Pro 2.66 GHz with 3 GB of
                      RAM. Under Mac OS 8.5.

                      Now all I need to do is migrate my preferences, macros, TypeIt4Me etc etc.

                      Thanks heaps, John !

                      P. (^_^)