Re: [wpmac] [ANN] SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
      John Rethorst said:

      >Complete setup to run WP on Intel Macs. Download, double-click,
      >and follow the Install Read Me instructions.
      >Link in the Links section here, in the SheepShaver and Basilisk
      >folder, as "SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install".

      Thank you for putting this together, John! I'm sure that everyone will
      appreciate the effort quite a bit.

      I just tried to download the file. Even though I have fast cable modem
      access to the Internet, the download would have taken close to 5 hours to
      complete at the rate of speed of the download. So I cancelled it.

      Is this type of download speed typical for Yahoo Groups?

      Also, from the name, it sounds like this SheepShaver installer also
      includes a copy of WordPerfect. Is that correct? If that is the case,
      would it be possible for you to create an installer with just the
      SheepShaver installer in it? I already have WordPerfect, and a file with
      just the SheepShaver installer in it would be much smaller and a faster
      download.

      Thanks!

      Randy B. Singer

      Co-Author of:
      The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

      OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

        > I just tried to download the file. Even though I have fast cable modem
        > access to the Internet, the download would have taken close to 5 hours to
        > complete at the rate of speed of the download. So I cancelled it.

        I have the same access. Estimated times given for upload/download
        are often inaccurate. Upload took less than two hours.

        > Is this type of download speed typical for Yahoo Groups?

        This has nothing to do with Yahoo. It's bigupload.com, and I gather
        their speeds are typical for file sharing services.

        > Also, from the name, it sounds like this SheepShaver installer also
        > includes a copy of WordPerfect. Is that correct? If that is the case,
        > would it be possible for you to create an installer with just the
        > SheepShaver installer in it? I already have WordPerfect, and a file with
        > just the SheepShaver installer in it would be much smaller and a faster
        > download.

        It's not the contents of the 500 mb image, it's the size of the image
        itself. Someone could run it from a much smaller image, and connect
        to his Documents folder; someone else might want to keep files on
        the image. The design objective was to make a download that would
        fit the needs and preferences of a lot of people.

        John R.
      • Cydne
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
          I'm on cable and it just told me that download would take 43+ hours!
          Needless to say, I didn't even start.

          Cydne

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Cydne <chinamartine@...> wrote:

            > I'm on cable and it just told me that download would take 43+ hours!
            > Needless to say, I didn't even start.

            Start, and watch the estimated time. In a minute or two, the estimate drops
            by 70 or 80 percent. In another minute or two, it's dropped that much again.

            John R.
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
              John,

              This is a brilliant achievement. Many congratulations. I'm
              running it on a PPC Mac, where, as you say, it doesn't work
              very well, but I look forward to trying it on an Intel
              machine someday.

              Two suggestions for minor changes:

              1. There's a Cocoa app out there now called
              SheepShaverPrefs. It's a lot more Mac-like than
              SheepShaverGUI and has only three tabs. Perhaps it might be
              worth using that instead?

              2. In the instructions, you say that when you first print,
              you'll see the Print Dialog, and you say to press OK. When
              I did this, there was no OK button, but there was a Save
              button, which seemed to be what you had in mind.

              3. For those of us purists who would prefer the traditional
              "Mac OS 9.x" startup logo, exactly how would we replace the
              SheepShaver logo that you inserted? I assume this is done
              with a resource editor, but I'm too ignorant of OS 9
              procedures to know exactly how to do it. (My guess is that
              I would have to boot into another disk and make the change
              in your SheepShaver disk?)

              Congratulations again on this!

              Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

                > John,
                >
                > This is a brilliant achievement. Many congratulations. I'm
                > running it on a PPC Mac, where, as you say, it doesn't work
                > very well, but I look forward to trying it on an Intel
                > machine someday.

                Ed, thank _you_ for the printing design. I would probably not
                have thought of the Adobe PS driver going to a folder action;
                SheepShaver has no direction connection to USB, and the
                configuration prints as fast as Classic, and makes PDF files
                just as conveniently as OSX.

                > Two suggestions for minor changes:
                >
                > 1. There's a Cocoa app out there now called
                > SheepShaverPrefs. It's a lot more Mac-like than
                > SheepShaverGUI and has only three tabs. Perhaps it might be
                > worth using that instead?

                I've looked at it - looks very nice - and put a link to it in the
                SheepShaver folder in the Links section here. But I didn't have
                time to test it, wanting to get this thing out the door before
                too many folks bought Intel and migrated to the dark side. It
                has a better interface than SheepShaverGUI though, as you
                say, and doesn't have much work to do so it shouldn't
                present any problems.

                > 2. In the instructions, you say that when you first print,
                > you'll see the Print Dialog, and you say to press OK. When
                > I did this, there was no OK button, but there was a Save
                > button, which seemed to be what you had in mind.

                My mistake. BTW the location of the Print folder will stick
                in the second dialog across restarts if you 1) go to
                WordPerfect options in the Page Setup dialog and click
                Save As Default and 2) in the Print dialog, click the Save
                Settings button.

                > 3. For those of us purists who would prefer the traditional
                > "Mac OS 9.x" startup logo, exactly how would we replace the
                > SheepShaver logo that you inserted? I assume this is done
                > with a resource editor, but I'm too ignorant of OS 9
                > procedures to know exactly how to do it. (My guess is that
                > I would have to boot into another disk and make the change
                > in your SheepShaver disk?)

                Correct, using the resource editor to change PICT resources
                in the system file.

                > Congratulations again on this!

                You're most welcome.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 8, 2007
                  Dear John

                  First, thanks and congratulations.

                  Using Firefox, the download from over here on BT broadband was two
                  hours, but I did it overnight. Given that I only have a PPC Mac at
                  present, I'm not planning to install it, but just looking at the
                  documentation, a few questions emerge. I have a heavily configured
                  keyboard - that is part of the WP Preferences in the System Folder.
                  Will that come across. Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
                  rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
                  disk?

                  Thanks again

                  Geoff
                • Douglas Bouley
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                    Not so for me. The site has not been able to manage better than 5-7 kb/s
                    download rate. That is vastly slower than any place else I've tried this
                    morning. Also, there were multiple errors and timeouts requiring several
                    restarts to even get to the current very slow rate. I believe it is
                    something on the server end, since other sites are working normally for me.

                    Not that I somehow hold you responsible! :-^ What you have done for us
                    is quite wonderful. I can spare the time for the download.

                    Thanks very much, John.

                    Douglas

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                      No. SheepShaver is a completely separate Macintosh computer that
                      happens to be running inside your physical computer. You'll have to
                      copy your prefs from your physical computer into SheepShaver (using
                      the folder that they both have access to).

                      > Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
                      > rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
                      > disk?
                    • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                        Is it possible to upload the file (with cooperation of a Third party
                        such as a University with a high speed connection T1/T5 on there end.

                        The problem is not the speed of what you can download, so much as Many
                        services still live in the dark ages and use banks of 56K modems for
                        their servers.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                          Correct, and I'm sorry I didn't include this in the docs. Copy your
                          [OS 9] System Folder > Preferences > WordPerfect folder into the
                          Preferences folder of SheepShaver's System Folder, replacing
                          (WordPerfect should not be running when you do this).

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                            It's possible to upload the file anywhere you want. A member of this
                            group has volunteered to host the file. His server may be faster. I'll
                            update the link once I get word that it's there.

                            John R.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 9, 2007
                              Dear Ed and John

                              Thanks for this. It's beginning to make sense. That word UNIX always
                              did cause me to come over in a cold sweat!

                              Geoff

                              >Correct, and I'm sorry I didn't include this in the docs. Copy your
                              >[OS 9] System Folder > Preferences > WordPerfect folder into the
                              >Preferences folder of SheepShaver's System Folder, replacing
                              >(WordPerfect should not be running when you do this).
                              >

                              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson"
                              ><emendelson@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> No. SheepShaver is a completely separate Macintosh computer that
                              >> happens to be running inside your physical computer. You'll have to
                              >> copy your prefs from your physical computer into SheepShaver (using
                              >> the folder that they both have access to).
                              >>
                              >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> > Sorry to be ignorant, but does Sheepshaver
                              >> > rely on the System Folder that I currently have sitting on my hard
                              >> > disk?
                              >>

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Edward Mendelson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 10, 2007
                                And after doing this, you may need to go to Edit - Preferences - Folders
                                and change the settings, if any, because the original folder locations
                                presumably won't work in the new system