[wpmac] Re: SheepShaver update

  • Daniell L. Mattern
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
      >John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
      >SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
      >practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
      >only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
      >40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
      >year from needing a new machine.

      I was going to ask the same question, but for a different reason. My
      G5 iMac is a family computer with four users. But Classic can only
      run for one user at a time. So if someone else is running a Classic
      ap, I can't launch WordPerfect unless I log in to the other user's
      area, quit their ap(s), turn off Classic, and log back into my area.
      And then it's rude for me to leave Classic running, in case someone
      else wants to use it later. Perhaps SheepSaver would be a way for
      each of us to be able to run pre-OS X applications simultaneously.

      -- Dan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern" <mattern@...> wrote:

        > >John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
        > >SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
        > >practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
        > >only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
        > >40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
        > >year from needing a new machine.
        >
        > I was going to ask the same question, but for a different reason. My
        > G5 iMac is a family computer with four users. But Classic can only
        > run for one user at a time. So if someone else is running a Classic
        > ap, I can't launch WordPerfect unless I log in to the other user's
        > area, quit their ap(s), turn off Classic, and log back into my area.
        > And then it's rude for me to leave Classic running, in case someone
        > else wants to use it later. Perhaps SheepSaver would be a way for
        > each of us to be able to run pre-OS X applications simultaneously.

        SheepShaver is a universal binary and runs fine on PPC Macs, but with
        one glitch - when you first start it, a dialog appears saying it's crashed.
        Click the Close button and it boots and runs without further problems.

        Advantages over Classic: multi-user (its image needs to be somewhere
        different user accounts can write to, like the Shared folder in the Users
        folder). Minimize to Dock works. Expose works. Just as fast as
        Classic. Disadvantages: I've set memory to 256mb, and it can't see
        a 2gb and a 1gb folder in the Documents folder on one machine I'm
        using. I haven't tried a larger memory setting yet.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 25, 2008
          It took longer to get to it than I wanted, but I've been able to do some
          testing on the Sheepshaver release of 14 June 2008 (link in the Links
          section here and files in the Files section). This is an Intel-only build
          (although source is available to build for PPC) that fixes several issues:

          if you clicked outside of the SS window more than 30 or 40 times
          during an SS session, SS would freeze. Fixed.

          Clicking in text to place the text cursor is accurate. The build has
          two solutions for this issue, one hardware-based and the other
          software-based. I find the hardware-based one works better. It's
          something of a misnomer, since no new hardware is needed. The
          I-beam cursor now also disappears when you start typing, staying
          hidden until you move the mouse.

          Command-key flakiness is fixed.

          As far as I can see, there are now no defects in SS-WP in
          comparison with any other word processor, on any platform.
          Fast printing to paper or PDF, access to OSX Oxford dictionary,
          send links from a WP doc to your OSX browser . . .

          WP was always faster than any other program, except maybe
          WriteNow, on legacy Macs. With each new Intel chip, WP keeps
          getting faster than it's ever been.

          John R.
        • ted_m_p_lee
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 26, 2008

            > It took longer to get to it than I wanted, but I've been able to do
            > some testing on the Sheepshaver release of 14 June 2008 (link
            > in the Links section here and files in the Files section). This is
            > an Intel-only build (although source is available to build for PPC)
            > that fixes several issues:

            Are there any hints when someone plans on packaging up the PPC (or a
            universal) version? (I may regard myself as a "hobbyist" regarding my
            Mac much of the time, but I'm not adventuresome enough to try my own
            compiles!)

            Ted Lee
            Minnetonka, MN
          • jeraldbricker
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
              Two files download in the folder you've provided: SheepShaver-KDH-280608
              and SheepShaver-KDS-280608. I assume I'm supposed to replace the
              current version of SS that I'm running with one of these files. Which one?

              JB

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

                > Two files download in the folder you've provided: SheepShaver-KDH-280608
                > and SheepShaver-KDS-280608. I assume I'm supposed to replace the
                > current version of SS that I'm running with one of these files. Which one?

                They differ only in how they resolve an issue with cursor placement. Hardly
                any difference, but I find I like the H version better.