Re: [wpmac] Non-breaking hyphen

  • Douglas Bouley
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
      Thanks, Ruth. That's good to know.

      --doug

      RBRoufberg@... wrote:
      > <snip>
      >
      > Doug Bouley asked: Just curious: how does that differ
      > (typographically) from a minus sign?
      >
      > They may look the same, but a non-breaking hyphen keeps phone numbers and
      > phrases like
      > "will-o'-the-wisp" on a single line for a more esthetic appearance.
      >
      > Ruth R.

    • Frank Mitchell
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 21, 2007
        I have had WordPerfect 3.5e from Corel for a long time and it has been
        working fine.

        Recently, I "upgraded" with the version downloaded from this site. Word
        Perfect's version number now appears to be 3.5e2B0.

        Two problems have been introduced...

        1. Whenever I open WP I am asked to find and set the WP folder.

        2. Whenever I try to open an existing WP file I get the message

        "Disk Full!! Please free some disk space on the volume which contains the
        temporary files".

        Can anyone suggest fixes, please?

        Otherwise I will have to uninstall and reinstall from my Corel disks?

        I am using a MDD Dual G4 desktop with OS 10.9.3 and it has a 60 GB hard
        drive with 29 GB of free space.

        Thanks,
        Frank

        -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 24, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Mitchell" <fmitchel@...> wrote:

          > I have had WordPerfect 3.5e from Corel for a long time and it has been
          > working fine.
          >
          > Recently, I "upgraded" with the version downloaded from this site. Word
          > Perfect's version number now appears to be 3.5e2B0.
          >
          > Two problems have been introduced...
          >
          > 1. Whenever I open WP I am asked to find and set the WP folder.

          When WP starts, it looks for a folder named, exactly, "Conversions"
          in its application folder, i.e. the folder you've set as such in Prefs
          or, if you haven't set one, the folder containing the application
          file. The easiest fix is to download Conversions 2.1.1 from the
          Conversions folder in the Files section here.

          > 2. Whenever I try to open an existing WP file I get the message
          >
          > "Disk Full!! Please free some disk space on the volume which contains the
          > temporary files".

          What OS version are you using?

          IAC, I searched for "full" in the Archive Index (in the Files section
          here) and got:

          798 cannot save - full disk
          799 cannot save - full disk
          799 cannot save - full disk
          799 cannot save - full disk
          799 cannot save - full disk
          1498 Error: Disk is full
          1498 Error: Disk is full
          1498 Error: Disk is full
          1499 Error: Disk is full

          all of which discuss earlier versions of WP that would not recognize
          a disk over 2 gb in size. I think this was fixed in 3.5.4 and I haven't
          seen the problem since. I'd first try quitting WP and deleting the
          Preferences file in the WordPerfect folder of the Preferences folder
          of the System folder. If that doesn't work, a reinstall of the
          downloaded program would be next. I think deleting Prefs might
          fix it, though.

          John R.
        • Frank Mitchell
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 25, 2007
            Hello John

            >> I have had WordPerfect 3.5e from Corel for a long time and it has been
            >> working fine.
            >>
            >> Recently, I "upgraded" with the version downloaded from this site. Word
            >> Perfect's version number now appears to be 3.5e2B0.
            >>
            >> Two problems have been introduced...
            >>
            >> 1. Whenever I open WP I am asked to find and set the WP folder.
            >
            >When WP starts, it looks for a folder named, exactly, "Conversions"
            >in its application folder, i.e. the folder you've set as such in Prefs
            >or, if you haven't set one, the folder containing the application
            >file. The easiest fix is to download Conversions 2.1.1 from the
            >Conversions folder in the Files section here.

            That did it!

            During the upgrade I changed the previous folder title to "Word Perfect
            old". When the upgrade worked OK, I trashed the old file which contained
            the Conversions folder. Another case of throwing the baby out with the
            bath water!

            >> 2. Whenever I try to open an existing WP file I get the message
            >>
            >> "Disk Full!! Please free some disk space on the volume which contains the
            >> temporary files".
            >
            >What OS version are you using?

            Sorry, forgot to mention this - 10.3.9

            >I'd first try quitting WP and deleting the
            >Preferences file in the WordPerfect folder of the Preferences folder
            >of the System folder. If that doesn't work, a reinstall of the
            >downloaded program would be next. I think deleting Prefs might
            >fix it, though.

            And you are right, it did.

            Thank you very much for the help,