Re: SheepShaver update

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
      John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
      SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
      practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
      only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
      40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
      year from needing a new machine.

      NB the shop where the new HD was installed for me (Nabih's in Evanston
      IL, a distance from where I live and work but well worth the trip for
      the quality of service) cloned the old HD onto a partition of the new
      one, and nearly everything worked right away. WP lost its Open Latest
      menu. What was bothersome was that Ed Mendelson's great freeware PDF
      distiller stopped working, I could still choose the virtual printer in
      the Chooser, but attempting to "print" to a PDF file from WP brought up
      an error dialog and crashed WP. The same happened with ClarisWorks 4
      (yeah, I still use it for a few things). I was going to come to this
      group for help, but then I did two things which resuscitated the
      distiller: trashed the AdobePS Prefs in the Printing Prefs folder in
      Preferences (of the OS9 System Folder, of course), and -- without
      trashing or uninstalling anything else -- ran the AdobePS Installer
      which was still within a folder called US at the root level of my HD.
      Thought this might be helpful to anyone else in a similar boat.

      Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
      ===================================
    • Daniell L. Mattern
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
        >John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
        >SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
        >practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
        >only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
        >40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
        >year from needing a new machine.

        I was going to ask the same question, but for a different reason. My
        G5 iMac is a family computer with four users. But Classic can only
        run for one user at a time. So if someone else is running a Classic
        ap, I can't launch WordPerfect unless I log in to the other user's
        area, quit their ap(s), turn off Classic, and log back into my area.
        And then it's rude for me to leave Classic running, in case someone
        else wants to use it later. Perhaps SheepSaver would be a way for
        each of us to be able to run pre-OS X applications simultaneously.

        -- Dan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern" <mattern@...> wrote:

          > >John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
          > >SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
          > >practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
          > >only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
          > >40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
          > >year from needing a new machine.
          >
          > I was going to ask the same question, but for a different reason. My
          > G5 iMac is a family computer with four users. But Classic can only
          > run for one user at a time. So if someone else is running a Classic
          > ap, I can't launch WordPerfect unless I log in to the other user's
          > area, quit their ap(s), turn off Classic, and log back into my area.
          > And then it's rude for me to leave Classic running, in case someone
          > else wants to use it later. Perhaps SheepSaver would be a way for
          > each of us to be able to run pre-OS X applications simultaneously.

          SheepShaver is a universal binary and runs fine on PPC Macs, but with
          one glitch - when you first start it, a dialog appears saying it's crashed.
          Click the Close button and it boots and runs without further problems.

          Advantages over Classic: multi-user (its image needs to be somewhere
          different user accounts can write to, like the Shared folder in the Users
          folder). Minimize to Dock works. Expose works. Just as fast as
          Classic. Disadvantages: I've set memory to 256mb, and it can't see
          a 2gb and a 1gb folder in the Documents folder on one machine I'm
          using. I haven't tried a larger memory setting yet.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 25, 2008
            It took longer to get to it than I wanted, but I've been able to do some
            testing on the Sheepshaver release of 14 June 2008 (link in the Links
            section here and files in the Files section). This is an Intel-only build
            (although source is available to build for PPC) that fixes several issues:

            if you clicked outside of the SS window more than 30 or 40 times
            during an SS session, SS would freeze. Fixed.

            Clicking in text to place the text cursor is accurate. The build has
            two solutions for this issue, one hardware-based and the other
            software-based. I find the hardware-based one works better. It's
            something of a misnomer, since no new hardware is needed. The
            I-beam cursor now also disappears when you start typing, staying
            hidden until you move the mouse.

            Command-key flakiness is fixed.

            As far as I can see, there are now no defects in SS-WP in
            comparison with any other word processor, on any platform.
            Fast printing to paper or PDF, access to OSX Oxford dictionary,
            send links from a WP doc to your OSX browser . . .

            WP was always faster than any other program, except maybe
            WriteNow, on legacy Macs. With each new Intel chip, WP keeps
            getting faster than it's ever been.

            John R.
          • ted_m_p_lee
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 26, 2008

              > It took longer to get to it than I wanted, but I've been able to do
              > some testing on the Sheepshaver release of 14 June 2008 (link
              > in the Links section here and files in the Files section). This is
              > an Intel-only build (although source is available to build for PPC)
              > that fixes several issues:

              Are there any hints when someone plans on packaging up the PPC (or a
              universal) version? (I may regard myself as a "hobbyist" regarding my
              Mac much of the time, but I'm not adventuresome enough to try my own
              compiles!)

              Ted Lee
              Minnetonka, MN
            • jeraldbricker
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
                Two files download in the folder you've provided: SheepShaver-KDH-280608
                and SheepShaver-KDS-280608. I assume I'm supposed to replace the
                current version of SS that I'm running with one of these files. Which one?

                JB

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

                  > Two files download in the folder you've provided: SheepShaver-KDH-280608
                  > and SheepShaver-KDS-280608. I assume I'm supposed to replace the
                  > current version of SS that I'm running with one of these files. Which one?

                  They differ only in how they resolve an issue with cursor placement. Hardly
                  any difference, but I find I like the H version better.