Re: SheepShaver update

  • erniemariette
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
      Hello John

      Just got your beta running, and find that it works very well.

      I did have a problem getting the Unix partition to work properly. I
      pointed root to my Documents folder. The Unix partition did not
      appear until I changed root to be a folder within the documents
      folder, then it worked perfectly. The printing solution is terrific.

      I'll be doing more testing soon. Thanks for your efforts.

      --Ernie

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "erniemariette" <flh1968@...> wrote:

        > Just got your beta running, and find that it works very well.
        >
        > I did have a problem getting the Unix partition to work properly. I
        > pointed root to my Documents folder. The Unix partition did not
        > appear until I changed root to be a folder within the documents
        > folder, then it worked perfectly.

        This seems to be memory. I'm running it on two Macs, one of which
        has a 420mb Documents folder, the other over 4gb. The contents
        of the former are entirely and easily accessible. On the other machine,
        the contents of the folder appear except for two subfolders that are
        2gb and 1gb in size. They just don't appear. This is with a 256mb
        memory allocation in SheepShaver. That could easily be set larger,
        since OSX virtual memory is so good.

        Or, your solution might be the most practical for many people. I don't
        know how Documents folders are generally organized, but I imagine
        many are subdivided by genre of document, and the WP environment
        wouldn't need immediate access to the entire Docs folder.

        > The printing solution is terrific.

        Isn't that fun? Thank Ed Mendelson for it.

        > I'll be doing more testing soon. Thanks for your efforts.

        And thanks for yours. WordPerfect deserves no less.

        John R.
      • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
          John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
          SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
          practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
          only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
          40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
          year from needing a new machine.

          NB the shop where the new HD was installed for me (Nabih's in Evanston
          IL, a distance from where I live and work but well worth the trip for
          the quality of service) cloned the old HD onto a partition of the new
          one, and nearly everything worked right away. WP lost its Open Latest
          menu. What was bothersome was that Ed Mendelson's great freeware PDF
          distiller stopped working, I could still choose the virtual printer in
          the Chooser, but attempting to "print" to a PDF file from WP brought up
          an error dialog and crashed WP. The same happened with ClarisWorks 4
          (yeah, I still use it for a few things). I was going to come to this
          group for help, but then I did two things which resuscitated the
          distiller: trashed the AdobePS Prefs in the Printing Prefs folder in
          Preferences (of the OS9 System Folder, of course), and -- without
          trashing or uninstalling anything else -- ran the AdobePS Installer
          which was still within a folder called US at the root level of my HD.
          Thought this might be helpful to anyone else in a similar boat.

          Tom

          ===================================
          Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
          Licensed Clinical Psychologist
          1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
          Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
          (708) 848-1611
          fax (708) 848-1436
          tjrostaf@...
          ===================================
        • Daniell L. Mattern
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
            >John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
            >SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
            >practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
            >only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
            >40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
            >year from needing a new machine.

            I was going to ask the same question, but for a different reason. My
            G5 iMac is a family computer with four users. But Classic can only
            run for one user at a time. So if someone else is running a Classic
            ap, I can't launch WordPerfect unless I log in to the other user's
            area, quit their ap(s), turn off Classic, and log back into my area.
            And then it's rude for me to leave Classic running, in case someone
            else wants to use it later. Perhaps SheepSaver would be a way for
            each of us to be able to run pre-OS X applications simultaneously.

            -- Dan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern" <mattern@...> wrote:

              > >John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
              > >SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
              > >practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
              > >only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
              > >40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
              > >year from needing a new machine.
              >
              > I was going to ask the same question, but for a different reason. My
              > G5 iMac is a family computer with four users. But Classic can only
              > run for one user at a time. So if someone else is running a Classic
              > ap, I can't launch WordPerfect unless I log in to the other user's
              > area, quit their ap(s), turn off Classic, and log back into my area.
              > And then it's rude for me to leave Classic running, in case someone
              > else wants to use it later. Perhaps SheepSaver would be a way for
              > each of us to be able to run pre-OS X applications simultaneously.

              SheepShaver is a universal binary and runs fine on PPC Macs, but with
              one glitch - when you first start it, a dialog appears saying it's crashed.
              Click the Close button and it boots and runs without further problems.

              Advantages over Classic: multi-user (its image needs to be somewhere
              different user accounts can write to, like the Shared folder in the Users
              folder). Minimize to Dock works. Expose works. Just as fast as
              Classic. Disadvantages: I've set memory to 256mb, and it can't see
              a 2gb and a 1gb folder in the Documents folder on one machine I'm
              using. I haven't tried a larger memory setting yet.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 25 10:45 PM
                It took longer to get to it than I wanted, but I've been able to do some
                testing on the Sheepshaver release of 14 June 2008 (link in the Links
                section here and files in the Files section). This is an Intel-only build
                (although source is available to build for PPC) that fixes several issues:

                if you clicked outside of the SS window more than 30 or 40 times
                during an SS session, SS would freeze. Fixed.

                Clicking in text to place the text cursor is accurate. The build has
                two solutions for this issue, one hardware-based and the other
                software-based. I find the hardware-based one works better. It's
                something of a misnomer, since no new hardware is needed. The
                I-beam cursor now also disappears when you start typing, staying
                hidden until you move the mouse.

                Command-key flakiness is fixed.

                As far as I can see, there are now no defects in SS-WP in
                comparison with any other word processor, on any platform.
                Fast printing to paper or PDF, access to OSX Oxford dictionary,
                send links from a WP doc to your OSX browser . . .

                WP was always faster than any other program, except maybe
                WriteNow, on legacy Macs. With each new Intel chip, WP keeps
                getting faster than it's ever been.

                John R.
              • ted_m_p_lee
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 26 7:09 AM

                  > It took longer to get to it than I wanted, but I've been able to do
                  > some testing on the Sheepshaver release of 14 June 2008 (link
                  > in the Links section here and files in the Files section). This is
                  > an Intel-only build (although source is available to build for PPC)
                  > that fixes several issues:

                  Are there any hints when someone plans on packaging up the PPC (or a
                  universal) version? (I may regard myself as a "hobbyist" regarding my
                  Mac much of the time, but I'm not adventuresome enough to try my own
                  compiles!)

                  Ted Lee
                  Minnetonka, MN
                • jeraldbricker
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
                    Two files download in the folder you've provided: SheepShaver-KDH-280608
                    and SheepShaver-KDS-280608. I assume I'm supposed to replace the
                    current version of SS that I'm running with one of these files. Which one?

                    JB

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

                      > Two files download in the folder you've provided: SheepShaver-KDH-280608
                      > and SheepShaver-KDS-280608. I assume I'm supposed to replace the
                      > current version of SS that I'm running with one of these files. Which one?

                      They differ only in how they resolve an issue with cursor placement. Hardly
                      any difference, but I find I like the H version better.