SheepShaver update

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
      Nary a peep from the beta testers . . . but it's been running without
      problems here for two weeks. IAC I found and fixed a problem printing
      large (100 mb) files, and plan to add 3 mb of templates from the
      1997 CD. There's several mb of photos, sounds and clip art that might
      as well be included too - the user can always toss them.

      John R.
    • erniemariette
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
        Hello John

        Just got your beta running, and find that it works very well.

        I did have a problem getting the Unix partition to work properly. I
        pointed root to my Documents folder. The Unix partition did not
        appear until I changed root to be a folder within the documents
        folder, then it worked perfectly. The printing solution is terrific.

        I'll be doing more testing soon. Thanks for your efforts.

        --Ernie

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "erniemariette" <flh1968@...> wrote:

          > Just got your beta running, and find that it works very well.
          >
          > I did have a problem getting the Unix partition to work properly. I
          > pointed root to my Documents folder. The Unix partition did not
          > appear until I changed root to be a folder within the documents
          > folder, then it worked perfectly.

          This seems to be memory. I'm running it on two Macs, one of which
          has a 420mb Documents folder, the other over 4gb. The contents
          of the former are entirely and easily accessible. On the other machine,
          the contents of the folder appear except for two subfolders that are
          2gb and 1gb in size. They just don't appear. This is with a 256mb
          memory allocation in SheepShaver. That could easily be set larger,
          since OSX virtual memory is so good.

          Or, your solution might be the most practical for many people. I don't
          know how Documents folders are generally organized, but I imagine
          many are subdivided by genre of document, and the WP environment
          wouldn't need immediate access to the entire Docs folder.

          > The printing solution is terrific.

          Isn't that fun? Thank Ed Mendelson for it.

          > I'll be doing more testing soon. Thanks for your efforts.

          And thanks for yours. WordPerfect deserves no less.

          John R.
        • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2007
            John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
            SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
            practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
            only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
            40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
            year from needing a new machine.

            NB the shop where the new HD was installed for me (Nabih's in Evanston
            IL, a distance from where I live and work but well worth the trip for
            the quality of service) cloned the old HD onto a partition of the new
            one, and nearly everything worked right away. WP lost its Open Latest
            menu. What was bothersome was that Ed Mendelson's great freeware PDF
            distiller stopped working, I could still choose the virtual printer in
            the Chooser, but attempting to "print" to a PDF file from WP brought up
            an error dialog and crashed WP. The same happened with ClarisWorks 4
            (yeah, I still use it for a few things). I was going to come to this
            group for help, but then I did two things which resuscitated the
            distiller: trashed the AdobePS Prefs in the Printing Prefs folder in
            Preferences (of the OS9 System Folder, of course), and -- without
            trashing or uninstalling anything else -- ran the AdobePS Installer
            which was still within a folder called US at the root level of my HD.
            Thought this might be helpful to anyone else in a similar boat.

            Tom

            ===================================
            Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
            Licensed Clinical Psychologist
            1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
            Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
            (708) 848-1611
            fax (708) 848-1436
            tjrostaf@...
            ===================================
          • Daniell L. Mattern
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
              >John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
              >SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
              >practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
              >only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
              >40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
              >year from needing a new machine.

              I was going to ask the same question, but for a different reason. My
              G5 iMac is a family computer with four users. But Classic can only
              run for one user at a time. So if someone else is running a Classic
              ap, I can't launch WordPerfect unless I log in to the other user's
              area, quit their ap(s), turn off Classic, and log back into my area.
              And then it's rude for me to leave Classic running, in case someone
              else wants to use it later. Perhaps SheepSaver would be a way for
              each of us to be able to run pre-OS X applications simultaneously.

              -- Dan
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2007
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daniell L. Mattern" <mattern@...> wrote:

                > >John and Everyone, is there any point to installing your
                > >SheepShaverPlusWordPerfect build on a pre-Intel Mac, mainly to get some
                > >practice with this before having to make the move? SheepShaver doesn't
                > >only work on Intel, does it? I have a Titanium PB800, and just had the
                > >40G Hd replaced with a faster 160G drive. I am thus still at least a
                > >year from needing a new machine.
                >
                > I was going to ask the same question, but for a different reason. My
                > G5 iMac is a family computer with four users. But Classic can only
                > run for one user at a time. So if someone else is running a Classic
                > ap, I can't launch WordPerfect unless I log in to the other user's
                > area, quit their ap(s), turn off Classic, and log back into my area.
                > And then it's rude for me to leave Classic running, in case someone
                > else wants to use it later. Perhaps SheepSaver would be a way for
                > each of us to be able to run pre-OS X applications simultaneously.

                SheepShaver is a universal binary and runs fine on PPC Macs, but with
                one glitch - when you first start it, a dialog appears saying it's crashed.
                Click the Close button and it boots and runs without further problems.

                Advantages over Classic: multi-user (its image needs to be somewhere
                different user accounts can write to, like the Shared folder in the Users
                folder). Minimize to Dock works. Expose works. Just as fast as
                Classic. Disadvantages: I've set memory to 256mb, and it can't see
                a 2gb and a 1gb folder in the Documents folder on one machine I'm
                using. I haven't tried a larger memory setting yet.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 25, 2008
                  It took longer to get to it than I wanted, but I've been able to do some
                  testing on the Sheepshaver release of 14 June 2008 (link in the Links
                  section here and files in the Files section). This is an Intel-only build
                  (although source is available to build for PPC) that fixes several issues:

                  if you clicked outside of the SS window more than 30 or 40 times
                  during an SS session, SS would freeze. Fixed.

                  Clicking in text to place the text cursor is accurate. The build has
                  two solutions for this issue, one hardware-based and the other
                  software-based. I find the hardware-based one works better. It's
                  something of a misnomer, since no new hardware is needed. The
                  I-beam cursor now also disappears when you start typing, staying
                  hidden until you move the mouse.

                  Command-key flakiness is fixed.

                  As far as I can see, there are now no defects in SS-WP in
                  comparison with any other word processor, on any platform.
                  Fast printing to paper or PDF, access to OSX Oxford dictionary,
                  send links from a WP doc to your OSX browser . . .

                  WP was always faster than any other program, except maybe
                  WriteNow, on legacy Macs. With each new Intel chip, WP keeps
                  getting faster than it's ever been.

                  John R.
                • ted_m_p_lee
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 26, 2008

                    > It took longer to get to it than I wanted, but I've been able to do
                    > some testing on the Sheepshaver release of 14 June 2008 (link
                    > in the Links section here and files in the Files section). This is
                    > an Intel-only build (although source is available to build for PPC)
                    > that fixes several issues:

                    Are there any hints when someone plans on packaging up the PPC (or a
                    universal) version? (I may regard myself as a "hobbyist" regarding my
                    Mac much of the time, but I'm not adventuresome enough to try my own
                    compiles!)

                    Ted Lee
                    Minnetonka, MN
                  • jeraldbricker
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
                      Two files download in the folder you've provided: SheepShaver-KDH-280608
                      and SheepShaver-KDS-280608. I assume I'm supposed to replace the
                      current version of SS that I'm running with one of these files. Which one?

                      JB

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2008
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jeraldbricker" <jeraldbricker@...> wrote:

                        > Two files download in the folder you've provided: SheepShaver-KDH-280608
                        > and SheepShaver-KDS-280608. I assume I'm supposed to replace the
                        > current version of SS that I'm running with one of these files. Which one?

                        They differ only in how they resolve an issue with cursor placement. Hardly
                        any difference, but I find I like the H version better.